Obama's victory lap

hammer4nc

There's been some discussion about whether Barack's Euro tour was helpful.

Latest poll data from Gallup: http://www.gallup.com/poll/109102/Gallup-Daily-Obama-49-McCain-40.aspx

McCain 40%, Obama 49% and rising.

080727DailyUpdateGraph1_yyyytttt.gif

So, according to the pure pragmatists on this board, to whom polls are the ultimate arbiter; the trip was worthwhile and a smart move.

madmag

So, according to the pure pragmatists on this board, to whom polls are the ultimate arbiter; the trip was worthwhile and a smart move.

Yes..In the short term, but after the facts settle in who knows. I guess it's good that Europe likes Obama, but I am not ready to let France, Germany, Or England to determine our future. Why would we want to value Europe's view? I see no evidence they are doing such a great job, and I worked in Europe for many years. Obama made a tour and told the Europeans what they want to hear, so let's see wait and see what the American voters want to hear.

MedicineBow

How could anyone like a man who would travel to where our military is and to our allies in Europe? Very, very suspicious.

He should have stayed in America and traveled to Kennebunkport, ME, and ridden around in a golf cart with George H. W. Bush! Like McCain did!

Now THAT'S leadership!

dm1333

As I have said before, Obama is about 40 electoral votes ahead of McCain. That is a significant lead. It does not matter what the popular vote is.

Funny, I didn't know votes were being cast yet.

"He should have stayed in America and traveled to Kennebunkport, ME, and ridden around in a golf cart with George H. W. Bush! Like McCain did!"

I'm only here to laugh at the comments coming from both sides of the fence, but you should use google this and see just how many times McCain has gone overseas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-Obama's-foreign-trip--draws-media-elite.html

Well, I guess the answer would be at least three times if you can believe the Telegraph.

MedicineBow

I'm only here to laugh at the comments coming from both sides of the fence, but you should use google this and see just how many times McCain has gone overseas.

Actually, the week that McCain (and half the contributors here) complained about all the press Obama got by going overseas, McCain was tooling around in a golf cart with the old Bush.

(To be fair, he also visited a supermarket...and had a wall of apple sauce bottles -- or something -- collapse behind him.)

Pathetic campaign strategy by McCain. Even more pathetic to whine that a multi-continent trip by the other candidate got more coverage.

LightningJoe

Print off a dozen responses and reread on Nov 6th.

Careful what you wish for. A McCain victory wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for the GOP and an Obama loss wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for the Dems.

At this moment, I don't think Obama's time has come. And I don't think he'll get nominated again. But he'll be a model the Dems will be looking for in the future, I suspect. They'll remember the thrills in the Spring and Summer and will try to recreate that*. If so, expect a lot of messiah appearances in years evenly divisible by four and and a lot of disappointments in November.

*They've been trying to recreate Vietnam, Watergate, and 1969 for decades. Man, they had fun. Good times. Kumbayah.

madmag

Hold Off On The Victory Lap

I think the Obama luster is getting a haze. The latest polls show a tie. At first he could sound different and exciting to his supporters by taking his far left stance. It's great to say you would leave Iraq tomorrow, or that we should give 47 million free health coverage, but now that he has moved to the center he just sounds like McCain. Now he wants to tap oil reserves and do offshore drilling. This guy is pretty boring as a GOP candidate.:)