Obama's victory lap

madmag

As I have said before, Obama is about 40 electoral votes ahead of McCain.

Sorry, but just total guess work at this point. No one really knows where the real vote stands. Typically you will find out in November. Can't tell you how many times the polls and predictors have been completely wrong through the years. This applies to Obama as well as McCain.

Forwardassist

Polls really don't matter much in our elections. We don't elect our leaders by popular vote. If we did then polls would matter. As Unregistered stated, polls are just random samples and subject to irregularities. What counts is the Electoral votes, and right now Obama has a significant 54 vote lead over McCain, 75 votes if you include leaning states. It is Obama's race to lose. McCain does not really factor into Obama's winning or not. This may not even be a photo finish race, I would not be at all surprised that Obama gains a major lead over McCain some time in the fall during the debates.

Bruxley

40 ahead in July with 167 still swinging in the middle is NOT significant. Sorry but it takes more then a little optimism to see it otherwise. If this were October and there were only 60-80 swinging I could see such optimism as appropriate. Remember, there still haven't been any debates.......McCain isn't going to toss softballs and accept deflectionary answers like those in the media that find Obama to be so lovely do. The previously kindly and passive McCain had Romney swallowing his tongue at the round table debates at the end of the Republican primaries....

Bruxley

The Rasmussen Reports Balance of Power Calculator shows Barrack Obama leading in states with 210 Electoral College votes while John McCain leads in states with 165 votes. When leaners are included, Obama leads 273-227. On Tuesday, July 22, Ohio shifted from "Leans Democratic" to "Toss-Up".

That was as of Tuesday. Obama has been slipping. His speech after the free beer, brats, and rock concert in Berlin has happened since.

I can get 10 people that barely know me to help me move for free beer. I wonder how many would show if I threw in brats and concert tickets....you can get daily groups of people to sit through time share sales pitches for that!

madmag

Let's Save Gas & Sleep

No need for the people to vote.

As of Nov 3rd the leading candidate in the Presidential polls can be declared the winner. We could use Realclearpolitics as the benchmark reporting agency. Think of the savings in gas for people going to the polls. And that extra sleep would help now that you don't need to worry about getting up early to vote.

Just push the computer button and it's over.:D

gretske

Why wait until Nov. 3? We could just let the main stream media declare B. Hussein Obama the winner right now. Just like they did with President Gore and President Kerry.

DesertDawg

Obama hasn't shown a "bump" in popularity from his current "World Tour". Most of the credible polls show the two candidates VERY close, but with Obama holding a slight edge.

One thing that I've noticed all along is how terrible Obama is when he doesn't have a teleprompter to read. I believe that is the reason why Obama has refused to debate McCain in a "Town Hall Meeting" type of venue. A good example of Obama's "stumbling" through an impromptu question/answer session was when he was on stage with President Sarkozy of France. Obama looked and sounded like a bumbling idiot....not a presidential candidate!

Obama's big speech in Berlin DID sort of make him look "Presidential"....but it was all teleprompter reading, nothing impromptu. He spent a long time working on that speech....so much time that he couldn't "afford" to visit the wounded American troops in Landstuhl and Ramstein!

Personally, I think that McCain is going to go out of his way to force a one-on-one confrontation with Obama. I don't think that Obama will be able to hold up under the strain!

Lastly, there's supposedly "something" coming up very soon about Obama that will cause his popularity to drop drastically. I've heard several rumors from reliable sources....so STAY TUNED!

jakeswensonmt

2. Obama's speaking in Germany right now. 100,000 German citizens turn out to see him? (My highly unofficial estimate, based on the scene.) Looks pretty presidential to me.

The Berlin Police were estimating the crowd at 20,000. That's one thenth what the US news media claimed.

Bias without end.

hammer4nc

Lastly, there's supposedly "something" coming up very soon about Obama that will cause his popularity to drop drastically. I've heard several rumors from reliable sources....so STAY TUNED!

C'mon, you aren't going to keep us all in suspense for some kind of October surprise, now are you? Break the news here, and TFL will get a headline link on the Drudge Report for the first time in history!! :eek:

McCain should easily rip him limb from limb in the debates.

Presumably there will be much discussion between the respective campaign staffs about the debate format. McCain's stage presence is so terrible (between his incessant blinking, and inappropriate facial expressions), his staff will probably want the debates to be broadcast on radio only! :p

Failing that, McCain will probably demand sit down only TV debates. Face it, the visual image of Obama sprinting across the stage to shake McCain's hand, will make John look like a frail old man, regardless of what comes out of their mouths during the debate. The media age rules, unfortunately.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
On BO's victory lap:

I heard his first stop while in Israel was Bethlehem.

He stopped to see the manger in which he was born.

:rolleyes::D

LightningJoe

Probably the worst thing that could happen to the Dems is for America to call their bluff by electing their least experienced senator as president. Expect four years of total chaos. If America still exists in 2010, there could be a mid-term backlash of Clintonian dimensions. Remember 1994? By 2012, the Dems may think that Hillary is a goddess and the Republican may turn out to be an electoral juggernaut (who's only down by 3% in July).

Bruxley

The much talked about parody of the US media's coverage of Obama. It hits the quinisental word the media has for Obama......the annointed one.......

He ventured forth to bring light to the world

The anointed one's pilgrimage to the Holy Land is a miracle in action - and a blessing to all his faithful followers

And it came to pass, in the eighth year of the reign of the evil Bush the Younger (The Ignorant), when the whole land from the Arabian desert to the shores of the Great Lakes had been laid barren, that a Child appeared in the wilderness.

The Child was blessed in looks and intellect. Scion of a simple family, offspring of a miraculous union, grandson of a typical white person and an African peasant. And yea, as he grew, the Child walked in the path of righteousness, with only the occasional detour into the odd weed and a little blow.

When he was twelve years old, they found him in the temple in the City of Chicago, arguing the finer points of community organisation with the Prophet Jeremiah and the Elders. And the Elders were astonished at what they heard and said among themselves: “Verily, who is this Child that he opens our hearts and minds to the audacity of hope?”

In the great Battles of Caucus and Primary he smote the conniving Hillary, wife of the deposed King Bill the Priapic and their barbarian hordes of Working Class Whites.

Obama fears the Blair effect as tour continues
The Europhiles are not the future, Mr Obama
The Bugle - Barack Obama is coming to Europe!
Our leaders go after some Obama magic
And so it was, in the fullness of time, before the harvest month of the appointed year, the Child ventured forth - for the first time - to bring the light unto all the world.

He travelled fleet of foot and light of camel, with a small retinue that consisted only of his loyal disciples from the tribe of the Media. He ventured first to the land of the Hindu Kush, where the

Taleban had harboured the viper of al-Qaeda in their bosom, raining terror on all the world.

And the Child spake and the tribes of Nato immediately loosed the Caveats that had previously bound them. And in the great battle that ensued the forces of the light were triumphant. For as long as the Child stood with his arms raised aloft, the enemy suffered great blows and the threat of terror was no more.

From there he went forth to Mesopotamia where he was received by the great ruler al-Maliki, and al-Maliki spake unto him and blessed his Sixteen Month Troop Withdrawal Plan even as the imperial warrior Petraeus tried to destroy it.

And lo, in Mesopotamia, a miracle occurred. Even though the Great Surge of Armour that the evil Bush had ordered had been a terrible mistake, a waste of vital military resources and doomed to end in disaster, the Child's very presence suddenly brought forth a great victory for the forces of the light.

And the Persians, who saw all this and were greatly fearful, longed to speak with the Child and saw that the Child was the bringer of peace. At the mention of his name they quickly laid aside their intrigues and beat their uranium swords into civil nuclear energy ploughshares.

From there the Child went up to the city of Jerusalem, and entered through the gate seated on an ass. The crowds of network anchors who had followed him from afar cheered “Hosanna” and waved great palm fronds and strewed them at his feet.

In Jerusalem and in surrounding Palestine, the Child spake to the Hebrews and the Arabs, as the Scripture had foretold. And in an instant, the lion lay down with the lamb, and the Israelites and Ishmaelites ended their long enmity and lived for ever after in peace.

As word spread throughout the land about the Child's wondrous works, peoples from all over flocked to hear him; Hittites and Abbasids; Obamacons and McCainiacs; Cameroonians and Blairites.

And they told of strange and wondrous things that greeted the news of the Child's journey. Around the world, global temperatures began to decline, and the ocean levels fell and the great warming was over.

The Great Prophet Algore of Nobel and Oscar, who many had believed was the anointed one, smiled and told his followers that the Child was the one generations had been waiting for.

And there were other wonderful signs. In the city of the Street at the Wall, spreads on interbank interest rates dropped like manna from Heaven and rates on credit default swaps fell to the ground as dead birds from the almond tree, and the people who had lived in foreclosure were able to borrow again.

Black gold gushed from the ground at prices well below $140 per barrel. In hospitals across the land the sick were cured even though they were uninsured. And all because the Child had pronounced it.

And this is the testimony of one who speaks the truth and bears witness to the truth so that you might believe. And he knows it is the truth for he saw it all on CNN and the BBC and in the pages of The New York Times.

Then the Child ventured forth from Israel and Palestine and stepped onto the shores of the Old Continent. In the land of Queen Angela of Merkel, vast multitudes gathered to hear his voice, and he preached to them at length.

But when he had finished speaking his disciples told him the crowd was hungry, for they had had nothing to eat all the hours they had waited for him.

And so the Child told his disciples to fetch some food but all they had was five loaves and a couple of frankfurters. So he took the bread and the frankfurters and blessed them and told his disciples to feed the multitudes. And when all had eaten their fill, the scraps filled twelve baskets.

Thence he travelled west to Mount Sarkozy. Even the beauteous Princess Carla of the tribe of the Bruni was struck by awe and she was great in love with the Child, but he was tempted not.

On the Seventh Day he walked across the Channel of the Angles to the ancient land of the hooligans. There he was welcomed with open arms by the once great prophet Blair and his successor, Gordon the Leper, and his successor, David the Golden One.

And suddenly, with the men appeared the archangel Gabriel and the whole host of the heavenly choir, ranks of cherubim and seraphim, all praising God and singing: “Yes, We Can.”

madmag

Obama Voted The Wrong Way

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080726/ap_on_an/iraq_winning_the_war

BAGHDAD - The United States is now winning the war that two years ago seemed lost. Limited, sometimes sharp fighting and periodic terrorist bombings in Iraq are likely to continue, possibly for years. But the Iraqi government and the U.S. now are able to shift focus from mainly combat to mainly building the fragile beginnings of peace — a transition that many found almost unthinkable as recently as one year ago.

This is one time I like being wrong. Could it be possible that I was wrong not to support Bush going into Iraq? Bush never backed down and he has shown that he was never willing to accept defeat. Hey, maybe the world is wrong and Bush is right (no pun intended).:cool:

I still hate the lives lost, but you would think that the the Iraqis would be praising Bush instead of the person (Obama) that voted not to have the war without which they would not have the freedom to talk.

jkkimberfan

Most Poles lean Democat.

Most poles are taken during the day when YOU are at work. Who is home during the day to answer their home phone?

jakeswensonmt

Most Poles lean Democat
I didn't know that the Democat's campaigned in Poland.

Lord, I apologize for that right there...

But you're right, jkkimberfan, polls are often way off. In fact, I'm counting on it.