No Mo' SCOPE!!!!

oneoldsap

As a rule you don't make elevation adjustments in the field with iron sights for hunting . There are calibrated target sights on the market that you do adjust on the range . I think people should learn to shoot with iron sights before they ever use a scope ! Just my opinion ! You aren't a driver till you can drive a stick , and you aren't a shooter till you master the irons . ;)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I just need to know where i am shooting at about 85 yards with a .30-30... for closer or further it is just a matter of putting the "target image" lower or higher in my sight... For instance, if a deer is 125 yards out, I aim a few inches below the spine for a center of vitals impact, for 25 yards, I aim for a couple 2 or 3 inches above the sternum for a similar POI... Peeps... same thing... In the buck horn image above, it shows changing the pin position of the front sight. I don't personally do that.
Brent

youp

doodles,

Look good for Marlin use. Winchesters do not have that solid top.

morgor,

The range you have specified is within point blank range of 30-30, 32 spec, and 35 Rem. I have no experience with the 44 Mag class and believe 150 yards too far for 357 mag.

Last edited:

Morgoroth

Quote-The range you have specified is within point blank range of 30-30
What exactly does that mean?

I always thought it just meant close, but it sounds like you are saying there will be no bullet drop.

youp

Point blank range is the adjustment of sights to allow for the bullet to never be more than a set dstance above or below the line of sight.

It depends on several factors; the velocity, the ballistic coefficient of he bullet, and the distance the sight(s) are above the bore.

For exmple, sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards, then the poi is 3 inches high at maybe 130 or so and falls to 3 inches low at 200 or so. All depends on the round, bullet, and sights. The result is you do not make any adjustments to the sights or sight picture to hit a 6 inch target. Of course this is for deer and not a prairie dog.

Best to do the range thing again.

Last edited:

Morgoroth

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.
I just found a good source in my area of cheap slugs so I am going to have to try that once I find a place where I can actually see more than 30yards to shoot.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Starting at 30 yards with old fashion rifled slugs. Get that figured out than stretch out the yardage.;)
Brent

James R. Burke

If your looking for a decent rack you will see it way before you get the gun up anyways. The scope does come in handy at distance, dusk, thick brush etc.

Lawyer Daggit

When I started hunting thirty years ago, I believed i would not be able to hit a thing without a scope- reading shooting mags had got me convinced you could not hit a thing without one.

I recently bought a 1963 manufactured 94- one of the last before Winchester wrecked the model. Removed the rear sight to fit a scout scope, then got guilty and could not bring myself to drill such a gun.

It now wears a peep sight and I am going to refit the metal rear sight.

The balance and handling of such a gun is amazing- and has lead to me removing the scope from my 9422 and installing a peep (with changed front sight) on it as well (I still have a scope on my 9417).

I have an MLR .308 (like a BLR) and will upgrade the irons on it to a peep sight and do away with the scope.

At normal hunting ranges- if your eyesight is good, I think iron sights are all you really need, and as people have commented, scoping some guns 'aint natural' destroying their natural sense of balance.