No Mo' SCOPE!!!!

Hog Buster

Mine was mounted on the left side of the receiver . Williams I think, but it might have been a Lyman. It's been so long ago I don't remember for sure.

Last edited:

Lawyer Daggit

Great to hear your discovery. Guys today seem to have reached the view that they cannot hit a darned thing without a scope- yet our forebears did perfectly well without them.

On a big game rifle I think one if fine without a scope out to about 200 yards or so. Being just on the plus side of 50 when shooting rabbits my eyes tend to demand a scope over 50 yards or so.

The balance of some guns, particularly lever actions and single shots has to be experienced to be believed without a scope.

I recently bought a secondhand MLR (Miroku badged BLR) and am likely to fit it with a peep sight.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
When I put the 6 rounds on paper, I used the same corn sack that the guy used when we put the scope on his 336... My 6 included several closer to center than his and none of mine were wider than his widest.
Brent

Alan Duke

Did the same thing on my Model 94 this year. made it feel like a totaly different gut and felt WAY more confortable. I'm with ya on this one hogdogs.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I was swinging it and pointing raising and lowering it like a little kid with a brand spankin' new Red Ryder on Christmas morn'... Sorts felt irresponsible and immature for a moment but shrugged that off sayin' "Man this thing feels like a totally different and new rifle..." Me sho likey mo betta now!
Brent

bamaranger

Rules for lever rifles

Here are the Commandments for lever rifles.

Thou shalt not put a 'scope on thy lever rifle.

One shall remove all white line spacers on thy lever rifle so as not to offend me.

A stainless lever rifle is an abomination to my will.

shafter

Nothin worse in my opinion. You'd never catch me putting a scope on any lever action. We buy them for their looks, easy handling, and historical appeal. A scope ruins all of this.

youp

My son has a 4x Nikon on his 94/30-30 and loves it. I recently received my great Uncle's 94/32 spec. Eyes really do not do the buckhorn justice. Do not think I will have it drilled and tapped, the top eject means offset scope mounts. I am not concerned about the 'value' loss should I scope it. Gun is mine until death or the blue hats do us part. (Could be the same, will cross that bridge when I get there)

Probably will find a Lyman or Marble Arms (NOT Marbles) tang sight. Or maybe a scout type mount. We will see...

bamaranger

oh gosh

Geez youp, its yours and all, but don't drill a 94/32, please.

Tangs give you the longest sight radius, but a peep/aperature is not much worse. And I agree, buckhorn's are the pits, no matter how traditional. Is the 94 you own pre drilled/tapped, for an aperture/peep?

Rear notch and front bead sights are now starting to give me fits as well.
I've replaced most all my lever and auto carbines w/ peeps and either ashley front posts, or modified the beads, and still can shoot them acceptably, for a while longer anyhow. I've thought about a sourdough, but have not done it.

I modify the beads by taking a fine, small file and put a SLIGHT up slanted face
(say 30 degrees) on them. This seems to catch the light better, esp if there's any sun, and eliminates the wishy/washy undefined look of a rounded one. You may not wanna do that to a vintage 94, but it'd beat drilling it in my book.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I wear trifocals. Hassle factor when using irons. My cure came from IPSC days. (Daze?) I had the lens lab glue an extra small lens at the upper inside corner of my sighting-eye lens. The correction is that for arms length, instrument panels, etc. Perfect for iron sights. The sights are sharp, the target has a very slight blur.

But when you hunt in Ma Bell country, irons generally just ain't the best deal.

Morgoroth

I know this is showing my ignorance, but what type of sights are "Tang" and "Buck horn"?

Also, do you still have to "Sight in" open sights like you do a scope?
I only have a shotgun with bead sights and a .22 with a scope, so I don't have a lot of experience with iron sights.

Which is something that I will be rectifying.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well, sights usually have a range of height adjustment. Most are in at least a dove tail groove and can be drifted left or right if needed.

The open sight is much more "shooter specific" as in the way you mount the gun and set your head to look down the rifle. Tang sights, in the case of lever actions, are a flip up peep sight with much more elevation adjustment that is mounted behind the hammer on the receiver tang...
Buck horns are the regular open sight with a curved view to the rear blade ie: buckhorn shaped...
pbg4.jpg

Brent

Morgoroth

Nice. Thanks, I had no idea what you guys were talking about.
Do tangs get knocked out of alignment more often that buck horns since the tangs have the movable parts?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I don't know, but there are a slew of guys that swear by the tang sights... I never got that far though:eek:
Brent

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A sight mounted on the tang gives a much longer sight radius. Like the difference between a snubby revolver and one with a 6" barrel.

The peephole makes it easier for consistency in the sight picture. The human eye/brain readily can tell if something is centered in a circle.

As with a scope: The gun is not more accurate. It is easier to shoot accurately.

Morgoroth

How do you guys adjust for bullet drop with peep sights that don't have sliders?
It seems like going from shots at 25 yards to shots at 150 you would have to factor that in.