no big game rifles?

Shadow9mm

So I watched the Ron Spomer video on the 9.3x62 Mauser. Got me thinking about dangerous game rifles again. Did some light looking in my usual places, Cabela's, buds guns, impact guns, for the 9.3, as well as 375 H&H, 416 rigby, and 460 weatherby. It seems that just about every gun is "no longer available". or out of stock depending on where I looked.

Have they discontinued a bunch rifles in big bore chamberings? What am I missing?

I know there are other places I can dig and look, I was just browsing, but it seemed odd to me that they seem a lot harder to find than they used to be.

bamaranger

sales

I am not a business man, but it would seem profitable to stock what sells. I think really "big game" hunting has been an exclusive pursuit for a long time now. You might dream of Africa or an exclusive guided elk or bear hunt, but for the average guy, it's just that, a dream. Life and the cost of living it have a way of getting in the way of dreams. No need for a big game rifle if you never will get the chance to hunt it.

The average guy, that does most of the hunting in this day and age, buys his rifle in a common medium game chambering and ammo for it at Wally World and hunts deer, bear maybe hogs, when work and obligation allows. If he's lucky, he's in a family camp or a lease if he can afford it. Anything exotic is just not plausible.

ligonierbill

I just checked Gunbroker, and while there are not a lot of them, I found rifles in most "big game" calibers. If you really want one, keep checking the used market. You'll find these rifles offered, including a box of cartridges with only one or two missing.

jmr40

There are only 4 game animals on the planet where a 30-06, or similar cartridge would be underpowered. And cartridges as small as the 6.5X55 have killed everything on the planet.

And the costs and regulations required to hunt those 4 game animals (elephant, rhino, hippo, and cape buffalo) really limit the demand for bigger rifles. There are plenty of used ones out there to satisfy the demand for a long time. I suspect you'd have a lot more success finding one in Africa than in North America.

The 375's H&H as well as the Ruger version were somewhat popular the last time I looked. That caliber is versatile enough to take the biggest game yet wouldn't be totally out of place for game as small as deer.

Hellcat1

If a lever gun is of interest, I've seen quite a few .45-70s around. I'm pretty sure that they would qualify as a big game rifle. I love mine!

full

Frank

bamaranger

that guy

Then there's always that guy.........

This spring, while scouting for spring turkeys, I parked the old Bronco at a spot that gets a lot of use during deer season. When I stepped out and looked down, there laid a big, straight walled, belted brass case, what the heck......
dang Win .458 mag!:eek:: Somebody took their elephant gun deer hunting!!

stagpanther

Then there's always that guy.........

This spring, while scouting for spring turkeys, I parked the old Bronco at a spot that gets a lot of use during deer season. When I stepped out and looked down, there laid a big, straight walled, belted brass case, what the heck......
dang Win .458 mag!: Somebody took their elephant gun deer hunting!!
Might have been Sasquatch with body armor.

stagpanther

Obviously there's a big difference between "big game" and "dangerous game." As pointed out above--the logic of having a true dangerous game rifle only makes sense if you see yourself going on dangerous game safaris. These days, that can cost you tens of thousands of dollars to put a single trophy on your wall. The pleasures of owning and shooting one as a bench rifle is a very very small niche of the market I would suspect (though FITSAC might LOL). :)

That said, if I ever considered buying a dangerous game rifle I would go with one I know and have no doubt it would do the job (as long as the shooter has what it takes)--the 416 Weatherby mag.

Last edited:

44caliberkid

My brother just started African hunting the last two years. He uses a Model 70 in 375 H&H. His professional hunter had him bring a new Model 70 in 338 Winchester for his personal use. But for most of the over forty animals he has taken there he used a .270. The 375 Ruger is an awesome round, in either a Ruger bolt action or Mossberg Patriot. Or maybe a Remington 416 Ultra Mag. Any of these guns can be bought on line but rare to find one in a gun shop.

ligonierbill

In Africa it's plains game and big game. For the OP, what are you after? There's a big difference between 9.3x62 and 470 Weatherby.

stagpanther

The 375 Ruger is an awesome round, in either a Ruger bolt action or Mossberg Patriot
I have a Patriot in 375 Ruger--sorta fun as a cheap platform to try it on--but not a chance in Hades would I use it in a real dangerous situation where reliability is an absolute must.

Shadow9mm

In Africa it's plains game and big game. For the OP, what are you after? There's a big difference between 9.3x62 and 470 Weatherby.
Always just wanted one of the big rifles. Will most likely just be a range toy. But i have been fascinated with them ever since i saw a 375 h&h cartridge sitting in a display case at cabelas when i was like 15. Got a cartridges of the world not long after. Thats when i fell for the 416 rigby. Got given a dummy 460 weatherby from my grandmother last year, said she flund it when she moved. Think my grandfather had one. Other side of the family got all his stuff, he passed when i was maybe 8 or so so i really dont know.

So iv always had the itch to get one of the big boys.

44 AMP

Staff
Between the cost, the political /criminal situation in Africa and the general demonization of trophy hunting over the last few decades, the folks going on safari had dropped considerably.

Add in the last couple years of the covid panicdemic and its even worse.

I sold my .375 H&H last year, as excess to needs. I still have my .458 and its a great deer/elk round within its range limits.

But, I don't hunt deer or elk with ELEPHANT loads! I load my .458 to hot .45-70 levels or a bit above. The really big caliber rifles make excellent medium game rifles (within their range limits) when loaded down a bit.

The fact you're not seeing many or any ONLINE, today, doesn't mean they're not available. They've always been a niche market.

stagpanther

Always just wanted one of the big rifles. Will most likely just be a range toy. But i have been fascinated with them ever since i saw a 375 h&h cartridge sitting in a display case at cabelas when i was like 15. Got a cartridges of the world not long after. Thats when i fell for the 416 rigby. Got given a dummy 460 weatherby from my grandmother last year, said she flund it when she moved. Think my grandfather had one. Other side of the family got all his stuff, he passed when i was maybe 8 or so so i really dont know.

So iv always had the itch to get one of the big boys.
Why not?;) Keep in mind a box of factory ammo can easily cost $100 to $200+ for the the big thumpers; so choose carefully with reloading in mind (unless you're rich and who cares :D)

Last edited:

ligonierbill

OK, I'll offer this: 9.3x62 is a nice round, actually useful in North America, but it's not really a "big boy". The monster Weatherby is simply outrageous. I have never fired one, but unless you want to hurt yourself, I'd let it go. The 375s, 416s, and 458s can be had in a number of bolt action rifles and the Ruger No. 1. I had a No. 1 in 450/400 NE for awhile. Much fun, but I replaced it with one of the Portuguese Winchesters in 416 Rem Mag. (Still dreaming of a buffalo hunt.) I like that rifle. My holy grail is the 404 Jeffery, but they are pretty rare and expensive. Good luck.

44caliberkid

If you just want a big range toy, go for a 50 BMG upper on an AR. Mine is a bolt action single shot and it’s literally a blast to shoot.

stagpanther

The monster Weatherby is simply outrageous. I have never fired one, but unless you want to hurt yourself, I'd let it go.
I haven't fired the 460, but have shot the 416 MK 5s with the 28" barrel that includes in-line brake off the bench; very reasonable "progressive" felt recoil for that level of power which I don't think will hurt you as long as you hold it right; just don't hold it loose and give it a running head start; and make sure you don't have too short eye relief to the scope.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

dang Win .458 mag!: Somebody took their elephant gun deer hunting!

I load my .458 to hot .45-70 levels

Early days of the BPCR revival, before long cases were back in production, there were some single shots called ".45 x 2 1/2" Belted" and loaded like a .45 x 2.4 or 2.6" Sharps.

I thought a .416 Remington in their lightweight gray Kevlar stock was kind of a handful, but another guy's .338 in a nice "handy" rifle was a nastier kicker.