New to the Benelli inerta shotguns

Headed out this PM to the Gun Smith today to pick up my Beretta 1200F which it cut the barrel down to 19-20". I have had that gun for years and never once had a failure. Noted for simplistic design and few parts. It has been a great all around gun, but just do use a 28" barrel any longer. I will add it to the home defense guns. I will see how it patterns with different buckshot, and may use it for the type of deer hunting I do in thick terrain and swamps.

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

The current 1301 Tactical fixes the easy to hit shell release that jams up the gun. I have the current 1301 Competition which still has the older style release. It really isn't a problem. There is a $15 dollar piece the stops this release from releasing shells, but really super glue would do that same thing.

So the 1301 is probably the best buy shotgun on the market right now given Mossberg pumps are pulling in 500-800 bucks.

When prices go normal, the 1301 will still be the best shotgun on the market.

I can't outrun my 1301. I can outrun an M2.

V3 can't even in the conversation. Remington isn't making them. I've wanted a V3 Competition (22") but they aren't making them. Remington currently isn't making parts for them.

Even then, the 1301 is the best shotgun on the market right now. :)

Last edited:
Just cleaned a gun I got back from the Gun Smith after having the barrel cut back, a inertia Beretta. One thing for sure, these gun are so easy to clean. I love the fact that they have such few parts. Simple reliable, super easy to clean. I do not run a shotgun for competition, so could not tell you what is better for that, but just love to shoot them and mostly buckshot.
Great video on the inertia systems. Personally for my needs, I will stick with the inertia.

Congrats to the OP on the M2. You are going to love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEA2yRC9Qb4&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

Want to clarify as the M2 and M4 are (wrongly) getting held as better than anything.

The 1301 is BETTER than the Benelli M2. It's the same logic that the M4 is better than the M2. The BLINK system on the 1301 is the same on the super expensive Beretta A400 if price is your indicator for quality. The ARGO on the M4 and BLINK on the A400/1301 system are similar.

The 1301 costs less than the M2.

It's the best deal on the market. If you were to unload the M2 for cost, you could pick up a BETTER (more reliable) gun than the M2 in the 1301. The 1301 doesn't light hold or tight hold fail.

It is good to hear the problems of an inertia system, because online when I was shopping, it was almost impossible to hear problems with inertia and gas is always held as only being lighter recoil.

If you were to get the Comp 1301, you also get a better looking shotgun than either the M2 or M4 :D

Meh. Good luck on the hold for reliability. I admit I learned tight being a problem for inertia.

Last edited:

MarkCO

w. c. mccane,

That is your opinion, which you keep beating the drum on, in a thread where the OP neither asked for options and clearly has stated he is sticking with the M2.

So what I don't understand is why you keep pounding your chest saying the same thing over and over in a thread that has nothing to do with your favorite. Maybe go start a thread on your own.

This very well might not ever be a issue for the OP, but just like the internet, someone mentions a issue on any gun and there it goes, running off the charts and now all of the particular gun's or shotgun's etc are plaqued with the issue. When in fact a "Real owner" might not ever see the issue in a lifetime. We could easily do a google and find a issue with a 1301 and do the same thing.(and they have issues) Post one and start slamming the gun.
I hope the OP knows how the internet works. He has bought a fantastic shotgun. Owned and love by thousands. There is no need to BORROW trouble that might not ever exist. If he had bought a 1301 then their could easily be a internet poster that starts the same kind of Parroting against that gun.
Again, to the OP, Congrats, you have bought a fantastic shotgun, very well made and respected throughout the world.
Get to know your gun, just like every one should get to know any gun they own. Any can have failures, or preferences etc.

FAS1

I ran 50 heavy game loads through it today. Fired 10 from the hip and a few one handed from the hip. Reliability was 10 for 10 as long as I kept both hands on the gun. Not so great one handed, I had one failure to feed out of 3 shells... but I wasn't expecting much...

Are you planning on using it one handed from the hip? I have fired my 1201FP with the choate combo pistol grip butt stock one handed with the butt under my armpit with no malfunctions. I can't see any real circumstance that I will fire it one handed from the hip.

Willie Lowman

Calm down everybody.

I appreciate the advice to get a Beretta but I don't think I will. So far my Benelli isn't even broken in. I have yet to fire it with full powered buckshot which it what it's intended purpose is.

FAS1

Calm down everybody.

I appreciate the advice to get a Beretta but I don't think I will. So far my Benelli isn't even broken in. I have yet to fire it with full powered buckshot which it what it's intended purpose is.

If you are referencing me, I never said to get a Beretta. My comparison is based on them having the same action, that’s all.

My Benelli is a all around field gun with wood stocks and no pistol grip so it handles a little different.

Both of my inertia driven shotguns perform well and they stay very clean since they don’t cycle the action with dirty gas.

Terrierman

I've had an M1 Super 90 for 20 years or so. It's a hunting shotgun. Flawless performance in that role. After doing some reading, I wondered if it would function if fired from the hip so tried it. Eject yes, pick up another round nope.

Great shotgun, super reliable and easy to clean. Would not hesitate to put it in HD service as it is.

Received my Beretta 1200f from the gun smith a few days ago. Had the barrel cut down to 20". Now just cleaned it and again the ease of cleaning is worth a lot. Here is a video of cleaning the Beneilli super 90 which is basically the same gun.
Just like all firearms there are tradeoffs for what you want. This cleaning is about as simple as it gets and few parts to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJW4j9TcrjM

amd6547

I bought a Beretta 1201FP that was Detroit PD surplus about five years ago...
All I have shot through it was full power slugs and 00 buck. It has worked perfectly, though I admit, I didn’t shoot one handed. I tried a little reduced recoil Federal #1 buck through it, and that functioned also.
The only problem I’ve had? There is some kind of spring that is supposed to hold the trigger assembly pin in. Apparently, when I cleaned the shotgun after my last range trip, the retainer spring fell out, so there is nothing keeping the trigger assembly pin from falling out...which lets the trigger assembly fall out. Right now, it’s held in with a piece of black duct tape on either side of the reciever.
Nobody seems to have the retainer for sale.

I bought a Beretta 1201FP that was Detroit PD surplus about five years ago...
All I have shot through it was full power slugs and 00 buck. It has worked perfectly, though I admit, I didn’t shoot one handed. I tried a little reduced recoil Federal #1 buck through it, and that functioned also.
The only problem I’ve had? There is some kind of spring that is supposed to hold the trigger assembly pin in. Apparently, when I cleaned the shotgun after my last range trip, the retainer spring fell out, so there is nothing keeping the trigger assembly pin from falling out...which lets the trigger assembly fall out. Right now, it’s held in with a piece of black duct tape on either side of the reciever.
Nobody seems to have the retainer for sale.
What part are you talking about?
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/beretta-1200-1201/parts.html?page=3

This part?
Beretta 1200 1201 Trigger Spring

$5.25

Not Yet Rated

Code: C90086

In Stock

Last edited:

Creek Henry

I have the Franchi version, which has Benelli guts and better furniture, for 2/3 the price. I got the 20 and really like it. The only feeding problems I've had were from me not dropping the bolt enough... Closing it slowly means it may not engage correctly so it doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger. Other than that, flawless operation and the great gun

Yesterday, myself and a range buddy took my old 1200 Beretta inertia to the rang with the freshly cut down barrel to 20". We brought along 200 shells of mixed light loaded bird shot and 75 rds of buckshot. The Beretta ran flawlessly and never missed a beat. We shot the gun with Buckshot from7 yds to 25 yds. (since it is now regulated to home defense and now just cylinder bore. We were both surprise how well the gun grouped at the 20-25 yd distance. Nice kill zone shots at 15 yds. More like a improved cylinder. (have have read that the 1201 actually has a smaller diameter barrel which is the model for police and Military. I have a feeling the 1200 is the same barrel.
In essence, I have to say I believe the internet complaints of failure with light loads are over exaggerated. Maybe with some shotguns it is a Issue. But certainly has never been with this particular gun. And this is a light gun and even lighter with 8 inches of the barrel cut off.
And recoil no problem. We used the "Passt" recoil pads which are Great. I woke up this morning thinking I may have some slight muscle soreness, but had zero. I do want to get a cheek pad, as I did feel that on the stock.

Last edited:
By the way, if anyone is interested, I had the Beretta 1200 barrel cut down to 20 inches and the cost by the gun smith was $80.00. And he did a wonderful job. I like this gun for home defense, but I may decide to have him drill for chokes. I can rent the tool for $40.00 and he said he would do it if I rented it. However I love the Stoeger OU now with the 20" barrel that I doubt I will do it. The Stoeger is drilled for Beretta/Benilli mobile chokes.