New Hi-Power

publius

I love the 1911 and am excited by the new Ruger, the only affordable 1911 that has ever excited me. Everybody makes one though. I would like to see someone (Ruger would be good) make a good, affordable Hi-Power. Who else would like to see this?

Martowski

That would be very cool... especially if they don't include the mag disconnect safety. But while the Hi-Power is well known and regarded among handgun enthusiasts, I don't know that it enjoys the same cult status and prestige as the 1911 to be a commercial success if produced by manufacturers other than FN. Seems that the .45 and 1911 go together like bread and butter; everyone thinks 1911 when they think .45. But not everyone thinks Hi-Power when they think 9mm.

Quentin2

I would like to see Browning and FN get more new High Powers in gun shops. But I guess demand is low these days (partially due to such a limited supply for so many years and high prices). A new clone by someone else no doubt would be pretty expensive compared to all the other 9mm/40S&Ws flooding the market.

You still can find used FM and FEG/Charles Daly HPs for $400 and under. Some are perfect clones of FN and some are very close.

Hi powers are fairly cheap from FEG ect... I think if anyone came down with a hi power, they should update it with a 17rnd mag and other things. NO MAG DISCONNECT.

Pilot

Shop around and buy a used, original Browning (FN made) Hi power. There is one at a local shop currently for $499.

Billy Shears

A Ruger Hi-Power in stainless steel with no magazine disconnect and 15-round capacity. Hmmmm, sounds tempting. I'd buy one.

But, while I love my Hi-Powers and wish someone would made a good quality clone alternative, I realize this probably isn't going to happen soon. Like you mentioned, the 1911 has a certain history and culture wrapped around it that keep it popular and keep sales up, but the Hi-Power, as much as I like it, just seems like an old --and not particularly strong-- design that has been improved on and left behind.

Ringolevio

I love my FEG P-35

threedogdad:
A Ruger Hi-Power in stainless steel with no magazine disconnect and 15-round capacity. Hmmmm, sounds tempting. I'd buy one.

Sure, I'd like a stainless Hi-Power. But a Ruger would surely have an investment cast frame. As much as Ruger has elevated and perfected the art of investment casting, I still prefer, on principle, a forged frame.

But, while I love my Hi-Powers and wish someone would made a good quality clone alternative, I realize this probably isn't going to happen soon.

As other posters have noted, the good quality clones already exist, and are quite reasonable. I own one (an FEG), and I don't believe it suffers in comparison to the "genuine" article. And it has a forged frame. It's reliable, it's accurate, it came with features like an ambidextrous safety, luminous sights and a chromed barrel, and to my eye there's nothing lacking in fit and finish. If I didn't prefer a Colt 1911, that BHP clone would be my EDC gun.

RickB

All the HPs made by FN over the last fifteen years have cast frames. Apparently, the forged HP frame was pretty soft, so it could be easily machined, but it wasn't strong enough for the adaptation to .40 S&W, so the frame was redesigned as a cast part so it could be made stronger but with less machining.

Billy Shears

Sure, I'd like a stainless Hi-Power. But a Ruger would surely have an investment cast frame. As much as Ruger has elevated and perfected the art of investment casting, I still prefer, on principle, a forged frame.

All Hi-Powers made since at least 1994 have had cast frames. How would a Ruger be inferior in this respect?

A new Browning HP costs nearly $900 and has the same cast frame a Ruger would likely have, if it were ever to be made, and the Ruger would presumably cost far less.

Just a thought.

jon_in_wv

Charles Daly tried it with the Daly HP. I think someone with a better brand name and a similar product at that price point would have a very attractive product. I think many companies may see that commercial failure as a map for what would happen if they tried it though. I would love to see a Rock Island HP. I think they could pull it off.

WVsig

A new Browning HP costs nearly $900 and has the same cast frame a Ruger would likely have, if it were ever to be made, and the Ruger would presumably cost far less.

I see this all the time. BHPs are not $900 guns. You can get one for $700 NIB shipped to your FFL.

If you are patient in the used market there are deals to be had. I paid $425 Isreali reblued gun with updated features and $525 for a practical LNIB. Paid $10 to transfer them.

People have made clones before. FEG, FM, Charles Daly etc... but none have every sold really well. IMHO there are just too many good used Browning/FNs out there to justify buying the clones. IIRC the CD was made by FEG.

Last edited:

Quentin2

I believe the Charles Daly HP was made by FEG. It was a beautifully finished and fine pistol but CDD lost money on each one they sold. I saw one a while back for $350 and was tempted. Nice gun!

I have an Argentine FM that was manufactured under license from FN and a FEG double action HP lookalike. Love them both and shoot the FM a lot since it's 100% compatible to HP parts and magazines. FEG of course made true clones as well.

Billy Shears

I see this all the time. BHPs are not $900 guns. You can get one for $700 NIB shipped to your FFL.

My LGS has three in the display case right now, the cheapest of which is listed at $799. With roughly 7% sales tax that gets pretty darn close to $900.

I've owned, carried and shot numerous Hi-Powers since I was in my teens. They are right up there at the top of the list of my all-time favorite handguns, and there's one in my nightstand right by my bed, but I just don't think the new Brownings are much of a value at their current price.

But for the fact that they are overshadowed by the popularity of 1911s there seems to be a potential market niche for a good P35 clone that isn't being filled right now. I have no experience with the FEG, but was unimpressed by both the Argentine versions and the Charles Daly versions I've seen and handled in the past.

Just my opinion.

C0untZer0

There are good affordable Hi-Powers.

Browning makes a good Hi-Power, it just happens to be be very expensive. But there are other makes out there that are affordable.

C0untZer0

Maybe Taurus will start making a $300 Hi-Power.

KaBlam !

I would love it if Springfield Armory would make one, but I guess they already have a 9mm offering in 1911, XD and XDm. Maybe there's no sense in cannabilizing their own existing brands.

Actually the Hi-Power does seem like a match made in heaven for Sturm Ruger. Maybe they could find a way to put even more steel into it to make it sturdier and heavier.

Hardcase

My Arcus 98 DAC is Hi-Power-ish and cost $250. I know, it's a Hi-Power, the way that a Llama IX is a 1911, but it does get the job done. Works for me in weekly steel challenge matches and, at the price, I'm (edit) not (edit) terribly bothered that the finish is a little fragile.

arcus_6.jpg

Last edited: