New Army Handgun: We're Really Doing This

Status
Not open for further replies.

armoredman

Seems like the Glocks 31, 32 & 33 would fit the bill nicely with two changes...
Identical alloy frame that uses all of the standard parts, including the slide and magazine.
And add a manual safety.
Glock purists just howled at the moon at that one. :) I have to say, I'd like to see that version.:cool:

simonrichter

Austria is not included in that list of countries? Odd, that.

I wonder if Austria went to the Steyr pistol instead. Which can be had with a manual safety, by the way.

they did not. G17 both Army and Police in Austria!

Glenn E. Meyer

Probably not as it was designed to go with the rifles as a companion piece. We don't use the rifle in the services.

Of course, the round can shoot down flying saucers as seen in SG-1.

DanTSX

Sphinx and Detonics?

Lol might as well toss Coonan, Korth, Daewoo, and bond arms derringers into the mix as well.

This won't happen. it's to keep the generals entertained. If they do, it's Sig, Glock, or S&W.

marine6680

Apparently hollow point ammo is on the table as well.

If the Sig 320 passes the trials, I think it has the best shot. It has all the "modularity" the army could want. One of the desired abilities is to be converted to a compact size.

Its possible they may choose a pistol that requires two versions to fit the full size and compact size, but the 320 does not have that limitation.

I like my M&p though, so I wouldn't mind seeing it win... Might make for a ready source of cheap and reliable mags... Or it could make for a short supply.

It will be interesting to follow either way, no matter which is picked, if any.

stonewall50

I don't understand why they don't just get glocks. Law enforcement loves them. And I've seen one that was literally on fire be able to shoot after it was extinguished (well...obviously not while it was still hot).

marine6680

Because many don't like the way a glock feels.

One of the reasons for these trials is to find a pistol that is adaptable to smaller handed shooters.

JDBerg

Why recreate the wheel and spend hundreds of millions or billions for another handgun trials? Learn from what the British Ministry of Defensr did within the last 3 years to replace their clapped-out BHP's with the Gen4 Glock 17;

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pistol-as-glock-bests-browning-after-46-years

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/23797.aspx

For a military combat warfighter, a pistol was, is, and always will be a BUG to the M16 based primary weapon. An M9, Glock or whathaveyou is useful when the M4-A1 jams and you need to fight your way to a functional M4-A1.

I have direct experience with DOD procurement practices and the FAR / DFAR procurement regulations. So I can tell you there is no way to predict how the M9 replacement will be chosen. With sequestration, the current administration and congress has the whole bureaucratic DOD procurement process tied up in more knots than usual. A gradual replacement of the M9 as these become worn out and too expensive to fix, with the Glocks, based on the recent British MoD small arms evaluations, makes sense but let's just see how this gets handled in the U.S.

Last edited:

jimbear

I would love to see a Sphynx M9 replacement but that's probably more for the publicity than anything else. I think Glock and Sig have the best chances. Glock's service history data is abundant, while the P320's is very slim. I wonder if that factors in at all or if they feel their independent testing is the only data they need to make a decision.

skizzums

i thought glock would be out since they have no saftey??? i guess for a contract that large they could make an exception though

t4terrific

I would love to see a Sphynx M9 replacement but that's probably more for the publicity than anything else. I think Glock and Sig have the best chances. Glock's service history data is abundant, while the P320's is very slim. I wonder if that factors in at all or if they feel their independent testing is the only data they need to make a decision.

Our government doesn't think our servicemen are smart enough to operate a Glock without shooting themselves. That's why they always demand safety switches that Glocks do not have.

The NYPD feels the same way about their "most elite police force in the world". They make their officers carry Glocks with extra heavy triggers because they can't be trusted to not shoot themselves.

It's funny how civilians can handle Glocks without all killing themselves, but the big shots in the government and NYPD think so little of their officers, that they can't trust them with a regular old Glock.

marine6680

While the glock gen 4s improved the feel of the glock design... It's still not very friendly to small hands.

It's also not modular in the way the trials want... Most of the entries are not really modular. Only the Sig really fits the design criteria.

Other entries are probably looking to win by performance and price more than fitting the design goals completely.

manta49

It's funny how civilians can handle Glocks without all killing themselves
Are you sure, there are plenty of N/Ds with civilians / police and Glocks. Whether it was because they did not have a safety catch is another debate.

WVsig

i thought glock would be out since they have no saftey??? i guess for a contract that large they could make an exception though

If the contract requires one then they will build one in. It would not be the first time a manufacturer altered a current model to get a contract.

Glenn E. Meyer

The accidents were finger on the trigger events and due to undertrained officers.

The question being how and when you train to flick the safety off vs. idiots with finger on the trigger.

Next, Glocks with safeties for specific contracts are well known - so this is a silly objection if you claim that they don't exist.

TunnelRat

As I said a number of times in this thread that has gone on much longer than I anticipated lol (not a bad thing, just surprised) I would see it as pretty surprising if the military went from a hammer down safety on DA/SA gun to a safety-less striker. I imagine a safety will be there. As WVsig said a Glock could, and has in the past, be fitted with a safety. The big question to me is just how importance is modularity. If it is the key point then a number of pistols would be out of the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.