need advice - AR15 Kaboom

darkgael

There is no damage to the chamber lugs that I can see.
How did I get it out? I mounted the upper in a vice upside down, took a brass rod and placed against the inside edge of what is really the top of the bolt. Hit it s few times with a mallet and the bolt rotated out (it had been about halfway through disengagement )

Last edited:

IMtheNRA

Does that case head have a huge protruding extrusion mark 180 degrees from the missing chunk or is that just some debris in the picture?

Hdonly

Similar experience.

I was shooting some ammunition I just got from a commercial reloading company yesterday. My friend mentioned my gun sounded louder than usual. It didn't feel much different so, like a dummy, I fired one more round. Bolt locked up in the rifle. I spent the next three hours getting the bolt and carrier out of my rifle. Found brass extruded around the base, into the ejector hole, under the extractor and the primer completely flattened and pierced. Also found lead that I guess was melted out of the bullet base and squirted around in the receiver. My rifle appears undamaged but I haven't finished taking the bolt and carrier apart yet. I had just read this thread the other day. I have contacted the company. Will update here when I hear back from them.

Attachments

• 2016-12-13-101220.resized.jpg
    2016-12-13-101220.resized.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,971
  • 2016-12-13-100859.resized.jpg
    2016-12-13-100859.resized.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,970
  • 2016-12-13-100849.resized.jpg
    2016-12-13-100849.resized.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,977

stagpanther

I was shooting some ammunition I just got from a commercial reloading company yesterday. My friend mentioned my gun sounded louder than usual. It didn't feel much different so, like a dummy, I fired one more round. Bolt locked up in the rifle. I spent the next three hours getting the bolt and carrier out of my rifle. Found brass extruded around the base, into the ejector hole, under the extractor and the primer completely flattened and pierced. Also found lead that I guess was melted out of the bullet base and squirted around in the receiver. My rifle appears undamaged but I haven't finished taking the bolt and carrier apart yet. I had just read this thread the other day. I have contacted the company. Will update here when I hear back from them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-12-13-101220.resized.jpg (130.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-12-13-100859.resized.jpg (143.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-12-13-100849.resized.jpg (147.7 KB, 1 views)

Hdonly

No. Every round fired hit the target. My friend was watching through a spotting scope. The rear of the bullet is open to the lead core. Only place I could figure that lead came from. I just finished with the bolt and carrier tear down and inspection. Everything appears ok. I found tiny pieces of brass inside the ejector bore and under the extractor. I think the brass of the cartridge case had extruded and had the extractor wedged tight and that was why the bolt was locked up in battery. I kept slowly working the bolt and carrier back and forth with a brass punch and a small hammer until it finally let go.