neck size or full length size ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddawg

now what would a case sitting in a stripped die tell me about how a case would fit in a chamber? I have to lube a die and apply a great deal of force to a case to get it into a die. The case will fall in and out into my chamber until I fire it and the brass expands.

Like wise the head of a case forced into a bolt with no support for the body of the case from the cahmber walls shows nothing as far as how that case sits in a closed chamber. This is just nonsensical noise in my opinion.

maybe this would help you understand a bit better

Understanding Headspace (Gunsmithing Student Handbook Series)

it's only fifteen bucks

Bart B.

now what would a case sitting in a stripped die tell me about how a case would fit in a chamber? I have to lube a die and apply a great deal of force to a case to get it into a die. The case will fall in and out into my chamber until I fire it and the brass expands.

Like wise the head of a case forced into a bolt with no support for the body of the case from the cahmber walls shows nothing as far as how that case sits in a closed chamber. This is just nonsensical noise in my opinion.]
It'll easily go in and out out of a bullet seating die as I suggested. It's much like a barrel chamber.

It'll easily go into a bolt head and you'll feel the in line ejector and firing pin pushing it off the bolt face. And how the extractor positions the case head.

Last edited:

Metal god

It'll easily go into a bolt head and you'll feel the in line ejector and firing pin pushing it off the bolt face. And how the extractor positions the case head.

Yes but that's when another force is being applied to the case ie ejector or firing pin . If the firing pin is cocked and there is no ejector . What force does the extractor put on the case when chambered . I ask because you wrote

You said:
but the extractor pushing sideways on the case will definitely push the case head off center.

which I replied

Me said:
It's interesting you say that . I've always assumed the extractor was cut/milled in a way that they fit into the extractor grove and once they snapped over the rim they no longer put any pressure/force on the case . They only made contact when they were pulling the case out or if you had major head clearance and they stopped the case from moving fully forward when fired or chambering . Kinda like shooting a 40 S&W in a 10mm chamber ?

hounddawg

It'll easily go in and out out of a bullet seating die as I suggested. It's much like a barrel chamber.

it would tell me nothing about how the case sits in the chamber that would matter. You're grasping at straws now

Bart B.

Metal god,

I mentioned back in post #132 the extractor pushing sideways on the case moves it. The case rim stops against the bolt head shroud holding it there until some other force pushes the case out of the bolt head.

With a Mauser style bolt and extractor, the case stays in the bolt head until the ejector slides into a slot in the bolt head behind the case head. The last fraction of an inch the bolt is pulled back is when the ejector pushes the case off the bolt head tipping it sideways pivoting on the extractor claw.

Remove the bolt from a rifle then put a primed case head into it. Notice what forces hold it there or push it out before and after the firing pin is slowly put against it.

Last edited:

hounddawg

Remove the bolt from a rifle then put a primed case head into it. Notice what forces hold it there or push it out before and after the firing pin is slowly put against it.

and that has exactly what to do with reloading? Whatever forces are applied is baked into the cake. Since there is nothing we can do about it except remove the extractor and ejector so why even bother to spend time dwelling on it

That is just distraction and noise

F. Guffey

You're grasping at straws now

He knows more now than when he started; he is the one that started that cute little saying about the firing pin driving the case forward into the shoulder of the case collided with the shoulder of the chamber. In the beginning he did not know the case did not have head space, and now? He will not admit it.

F. Guffey

cw308

In chambering a round in the chamber , if it was made out of plexi you could see what's happening , but it's not so we have to rely on how we measure things and our imagination on what's going on . Does side pressure really matter when in a split second when the fired case is slammed forward in the chamber , I would think if the shoulder of the case is true to the shoulder in the chamber and the bullet is centered to the barrel is all that matters . From there you could change neck tension , powder charge and seating depth to improve things , all the other stuff happens after the bullet is going down the barrel.

F. Guffey

Does side pressure really matter when in a split second when the fired case is slammed forward in the chamber

I could suggest you think about it, that does not work because you insist on repeating what you read and or heard on the Internet.

Think about it: I am not involved in a popularity contest. I only have one interest; I want you to think, I do not want to be your friend. I have given you 3 examples of cases in chambers that never took off for the front of the chamber. None of the examples had firing pins that drove the case forward.

If I could provoke you into thinking I would ask your to explain why the case got longer from the shoulder of the case to the case head and shorter from the shoulder/neck juncture to the end of the neck.

If you had thinking skills you would understand why driving the case forward to the shoulder of the chamber is a bad habit.

F. Guffey

hounddawg

If you had thinking skills you would understand why driving the case forward to the shoulder of the chamber is a bad habit.

maybe you could explain it to us, once you educate yourself on the basics and develop a basic understanding of case geometry. You should really stop deluding yourself into thinking that you know more than companies such as Forster, Redding, and actual gunsmiths

cw308

Mr G
You sure have a way with words . Your one of those KIA ( Know It All's ) you do alot of double talking but never seem to answer questions , I think I'll address you now as King G , thank you for all your amusing stories . Come to think of it BSA may be more appropriate.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.