narrowed it down to 4 pocket handguns.

Webleymkv

Yes, but if you shoot exclusively .38 +P out of it, which many would recommend for SD, wouldn't the cylinder eventually suffer from gas cutting?

The only times that I've ever even heard of gas cutting or flame cutting being an issue is with magnum cartridges firing medium-to-lightweight bullets or defective alloy frames. Even in such cases, flame cutting is usually self-limiting and occurs in the topstrap above the barrel/cylinder gap rather than in the chambers themselves. A .38 Special or .38 +P should not be particularly prone of flame cutting because, unlike magnum cartridges, it's not commonly loaded with large quantities of slow-burning powder.

Stevie-Ray

This is the type of gas cutting I was refering to.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/105228-gas-cutting-629-1-a.html

Had this been hot-loaded .44 Spls. rather than magnums, there likely would have been this type of cutting at the freebore of each chamber. Degrading accuracy was the norm, worst case scenario was eventual inability to even fire magnum cartridges. Of course this is from memory way back when .38+P first became popular. i.e. a steady diet of .38+P out of a .357 Mag would result in this. Has today's alloys, powders and such virtually eliminated this fear?

Webleymkv

This is the type of gas cutting I was refering to.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloadi...g-629-1-a.html

Had this been hot-loaded .44 Spls. rather than magnums, there likely would have been this type of cutting at the freebore of each chamber. Degrading accuracy was the norm, worst case scenario was eventual inability to even fire magnum cartridges. Of course this is from memory way back when .38+P first became popular. i.e. a steady diet of .38+P out of a .357 Mag would result in this. Has today's alloys, powders and such virtually eliminated this fear?

Hmm, I've not seen anything like that before. I notice, however, that two of the precipitating factors that I mentioned earlier were still present here (light-for-caliber bullets and slow burning powder) and I think they're probably the culprits. You see, a lighter bullet takes less pressure to push it out of the case than a heavier one does. This means that when you fire a light-for-caliber bullet (and 180gr is light-for-caliber in .44 Magnum), a larger proportion of the powder charge is burning inside the chamber throats, forcing cone, and barrel. When you combine these effects with a slow-burning powder (and Winchester 296 is very slow) it only accentuates them and increases the risk and severity of gas cutting.

.38 Special ammunition is not typically loaded with powders as slow as Winchester 296 but rather with medium-to-fast powders like Alliant Unique or Bullseye. Between the fact that typical .38 Spl powders burn faster and that they are usually much smaller charges than commonly used in magnum calibers, I think that the risk of significant flame cutting to a .357 LCR from the use of .38 ammo would be extremely unlikely unless someone was shooting some very unusual handloads.

SaxonPig

I wanted something truly compact and light. I looked at the small 9s and they were still too big and heavy for comfortable pocket carry. Wound up with a Taurus TCP. It was a C note cheaper than the nearly-identical Ruger and I like the slide lock feature. Weights like 18 ounces and that's manageable. I know many guys would reject the 380 as too light but better a 380 on me than a 357 Magnum I left in the car because it's just too dang heavy for comfort.

standard.jpg

craZivn

MLeake, my point is exactly what you mentioned. If it suffers damage from flame-cutting, Ruger will fix or replace it! So it's not worth worrying over whether the gun will be damaged from firing .38s from a .357 chamber. It's designed for it, if it gets hurt from it, Ruger will make it right!

Ivan

CSG

Saxon, I went the same direction you did. The only "pocket" gun I ever carried regularly was my Beretta .25. While I often carried my 442 revolver or PM9, neither was a pocket gun for me, riding instead in a n IWB holster. I recently ended up with an LCP and later added the Lasermax sight. Loaded with Speer Gold Dots, I do not feel undergunned with this as a CCW as I did with my Beretta.

The LCP is with me always riding in a front pocket holster.

MLeake

craZivn, I will give you that Ruger stands behind its products.

That said, I still prefer leaving as little to chance as possible.

Stevie-Ray

it's not worth worrying over whether the gun will be damaged from firing .38s from a .357 chamber. It's designed for it, if it gets hurt from it, Ruger will make it right!
It is decidedly NOT designed for it, it is designed for .357 magnum cartridges. I would suggest if you want to fire a steady diet of .38+P, you buy the .38+P version, OR you check with Ruger and get their opinion on warranty replacement of cylinders from what is tantamount to using the wrong ammo.

craZivn

It is decidedly NOT designed for it, it is designed for .357 magnum cartridges. I would suggest if you want to fire a steady diet of .38+P, you buy the .38+P version, OR you check with Ruger and get their opinion on warranty replacement of cylinders from what is tantamount to using the wrong ammo.

From page 12 of my LCR owner's manual:

"The LCR 357 is chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge, and can also chamber the .38 Special and .38 Special +P."

Ivan

zeke4351

I like Sigs myself and I have 3 that I carry depending on what I am wearing and the time of year. The Sig P250 in sub compact .40S&W is a great gun if you want DAO. I also have the P238 and P938 which I really like.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368042593.008537.jpg

B.N.Real

LCR 38-the defense loads available for the 38 special now are great.

The blast from a 357 will blind and make you deaf as soon as you fire the gun especially at night.

I have a Taurus Model 85 that I pocket carry in a jeans pocket just fine.

In most places,you do have to have a concealed carry license to do this anyway so if it prints a little,sometimes people see that and know,you are not unarmed.

I carry myself like I am a reasonable,law abiding adult,as I am ,and I've never had any problem,even walking around police officers.

I am interested in the Shield in 40 SW though-the Walther PPS also.

I've even thought about a Taurus 740 Slim in blue too.

But money is very tight right now.