narrowed it down to 4 pocket handguns.

Ben Dover

I must beg to differ, sir.

Drawing from a hsoulder holster is just as quick when sitting as when standing.

As is drawing from a coat or jaket pocket.

Perhaps more importantly, proper situational awarenes should obviate the need to draw quickly at all.

dgludwig

Imo, a "true" pocket gun should be as light and as small as possible, along with being utterly reliable and as powerful as practical (given the size and weight constraints, it would seem that the .380 ACP fits the bill better than most others). For me, the "ideal" pocket pistol is the Ruger LCP.

specs

I find the KLCR 357 to be slightly better for pocket carry over my LC9 I have carried either one for extended periods. When I am carrying the LC9 in my pocket the LCR is in a holster in between the seat and console in my truck or vice versa. If my wife is with me and we are going any long distance she keeps her LCR in between the console and seat and I make do with a NAA 22 mag on my side for backup.

Cheapshooter

I am really liking the LCR .357mag. I would just load .38 specials in it to make it more managable in such a light frame.
Don't quite understand this line of thinking. With the 38spcl being a noticable to me 1/4 pound lighter, and still very controlable with the 158gr + P LSWCHP "FBI" loads I have shot through it, I really don't see the need for the extra weight, and cost of the 357. Other than to just have It in 357. Also, the ballistic gel tests of the Speer Good Dot +P Short Barrel rounds showing very impressive performance equalling that of some 357 Magnum offerings reinforce my decision to get the 38Spcl LCR.
One other point that could be made is that the stainless steel frame of the 357 is more durable than the aluminum 38Spcl frame. Being that my LCR isn't a range gun with t;he potentil of thousands of rounds being shot in a relative short time frame I don't feel It matters much. Most likely several hundred rounds person year will be shot through my LCR in practice, not several thousand.
But of course personal choice is why ice dream comes in chocooate, and vanilla, isn't It?

craZivn

The problem with using .38 +P miracle rounds instead of standard .357 is that ammo on the shelves is limited, and we gotta shoot what we can get our paws on. Right now .357 JHP is easier to come by than super-powered .38 +P rounds, at least here in central Wi.

Around here I find .357 practice ammo in stock more often than .38, so I'm glad I have the option of using the larger caliber. Once the ammo frenzy cools down things will get back to normal, but I'd hate to be stuck without range time at all until then.

Ivan

bikerbill

I tried to pocket carry a Smith 637, but didn't like the feel and find I'm far more accurate with a semi and if you need to reload, there's no way a revolver can be recharged faster than a semi ... my EDC is a Kahr PM9, you might look into that line, mine has been perfect for 10 years ...

Somebody recommended the FBI load ... I loaded the 637 with those, fired two and needed a week for my hand to recover ... saved them for my 686+ ... a lightweight gun and heavy loads simply don't mix for me ..

PawPaw

I've been pocket carrying for years, only had to draw twice. Both times the simple shock of seeing the pistol helped the goblins decide that they had pressing business elsewhere. Both times I was left standing on the street, wondering where everyone went. Yeah, I let the cops know, and they took my statement, but I was never hassled over the decision to draw.

My pocket pistol is either a J-frame Smith, or a Ruger LCP.

Mosin44az

Paw Paw, what was it you had to draw? A Smith? Was wondering if they fled at the sight of an LCP. That would be good to know...

shafter

If you're going to buy an LCR you may as well go for a 357. I bet you'll probably stick with loading 38+p but why not have the option just in case you need it?

dgludwig

I'm generally of the opinion that, everything else being equal, choosing a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum makes sense over buying the same revolver chambered in .38 Special. But in this situation, because the op is looking for a pocket handgun and because I believe for a gun to be carried comfortably in a pocket it needs to be as light and small as practical (see post no.42), the weight difference between the Ruger LCR chambered in .38 Special and the same model chambered in .357 Magnum is enough imo (13.00 oz vs 16.60 oz) to make a significant difference and would lead me to opt for the .38 in this instance.

Cheapshooter

If you're going to buy an LCR you may as well go for a 357. I bet you'll probably stick with loading 38+p but why not have the option just in case you need it?
In deciding which LCR to buy I found the answer to your question. Four ounces!
I went for the noticeably lighter 38Spcl model.

Mosin44az

Yes, it helps ALOT with recoil, and turns a painful experience into a pleasant one. It's why I ditched my .38 LCR in favor of the magnum.

Yes, the .357 is heavier, but to my mind, at 17 oz. it is still in the range of weight for comfortable pocket carry. Much more than that, and guns tend to sag the pockets too much, but 17 oz. unloaded is still fine by me. Kahr PM9/CM9 is the same unloaded weight.

Sarge

Heck I pocket carried a 2 1/4" SP101 with a Speedloader for years (pleated dockers) so the LCR should be a breeze.

Webleymkv

Of the four options presented, the LCR .357 would be my choice. I don't generally go for service-caliber (9mm and up) pocket autos because I do not entirely trust their reliability (I cannot understand how you could hack the barrel, slide, and grip of a gun so short without adversely affecting reliability). So, between the LCR .38 and .357, I'd choose the .357 for both the ammo versatility (more important that some give credit for considering the current ammo shortage) and the extra weight. I consider the extra weight to be a benefit because of the recoil dampening characteristics and I, personally, consider 17oz to be plenty light already (I routinely pocket carry a heavier revolver).

Stevie-Ray

Yes, it helps ALOT with recoil, and turns a painful experience into a pleasant one. It's why I ditched my .38 LCR in favor of the magnum.
Yes, but if you shoot exclusively .38 +P out of it, which many would recommend for SD, wouldn't the cylinder eventually suffer from gas cutting? I suppose, if you never expect to shoot .357 out of it, it wouldn't matter, but there are those that are saying they want the option. The .38 LCR, OTOH, is tailor made for this, and would be my option in revolvers. Of those listed, though, I'd opt for the LC9.