My letter to Remington Arms Co... Regarding my R700 and 870

lefteyedom

If Remington spent a little more on Customer service and Quality Qontrol they would not need to spend so much on Adverting.

I want to believe that a good rifle could be built and sold for $500-$750. Yet it seem that by the time you have a good rifle in your hands $1000-$1500 have disappeared out of your wallet. (not talking about optic)

Time and money are wasted on getting a rifle fix. Time wasted trying to find someone that can fix it.

There is a reason that custom built rifles cost what they do. (not that they get it right all the time ether)

If Remington spent a little more on Customer service and Quality Qontrol they would not need to spend so much on Adverting.

I want to believe that a good rifle could be built and sold for $500-$750. Yet it seem that by the time you have a good rifle in your hands $1000-$1500 have disappeared out of your wallet. (not talking about optic)

Time and money are wasted on getting a rifle fix. Time wasted trying to find someone that can fix it.

There is a reason that custom built rifles cost what they do. (not that they get it right all the time ether)

If Remington doesn't fix this gun I will be into semi custom territory.. In reality by the time I'm happy, the only thing still remington will be the action and bolt. I've been told by others in my predicament, that I will most likely be ignored or get a response from Remington saying too bad, we don't care..

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
lefteyedom said:

I guess "good rifle" is up to interpretation, but my $475 Ruger M77 MkII in 204 Ruger has nothing added but an $80 Jard trigger and it shoots around 1/2 MOA.... I've never seen a Savage with Accu-trigger that shoots worse than about 3/4 MOA with factory ammo and they're at the bottom end of your price point, depending on stock options and finish choice.

dalegribble

i'm stunned! did i see that you spent aprox $700 of your own money while the gun was still on factory warranty? this is beyond whatever the remington factory pretended to fix?

i'm sorry but if i had a gun covered by factory warranty and it was returned to the factory and not repaired correctly the gun would be quickly sold to a faithful remington lover. i'd take the money and buy a brand that works, probably for less than the cost of the overpriced remington. that $700 of your own money could have paid for a nice hunt this fall and you would have been all smiles.

langenc

If remington, doesn't make this right.. My next new gun will be a savage or a T/C.. The CDL in my letter will get a douglass barrel and that will be that.. But to do what i've already done and it still not have a shooter is pathetic..

Copied from original poster--

I thought your problem was lousy trigger. What makes you think a douglass barrel will fix the gritty trigger??

jmortimer

Many of us run from current production Express 870s like the plague but sad to hear about a current production Wingmaster not up to snuff.

I thought your problem was lousy trigger. What makes you think a douglass barrel will fix the gritty trigger??

In my letter, I described how the crap trigger was fixed by the Remington Service center..

I knew part of the accuracy problem was the atrociously heavy, gritty and sometimes unreliable trigger pull. After not getting adequate service from the factory itself, I took the rifle to my local Remington Factory Authorized Service Center, to have the rifle worked on so it would at least fire reliably.

Last edited:

mes228

Rifle

I have a lot of empathy with the original poster. I have owned several new & recent manufactured rifles. Discard the BS you read in Gun Magazines for the most part. All stunk the place up in the accuracy department. Off hand I can remember 2 Remington Mtn. Rifles and a CDL, Savage Edge, Ruger Hawkeye and 2 Ranch Rifles, and several others that don't come to mind at the moment. The last rifle I've owned that really was accurate was a CZ (except for AR's and they all shoot). I don't know what has happened, but in my opinion. Something REALLY has changed for the worse in the accuracy department. We have the best ammo ever made and the lousiest rifles to shoot it in. A lot of rifles today, clean beautiful rifles, are shooting 3-4 inches from the factory. When they should be shooting 1" or less with a mechanical rest (Lead Sled). Just my opinion but it's based on a pretty large sample of various brands.

Last edited:

Fusion

The Savage Model 10's are still pretty reasonable priced and accurate, but the Edge just seems more like it's out to compete with the Remington 770.

68FAN

Back in the 80's I bought a 7600 Rem. pump 30/06 thinking it would be a great woods deer gun. Wrong! It never would consistently feed ammo even after 2 trips to the Remington factory so I got rid of it, at a loss of course. What they don't realize is that their incompetence has cost them not only my business but that of many others. I can see a lemon getting thru QC once in awhile but to have them ship a rifle back to me twice and not function even with their own ammo is inexcusable. I just hope they don't buy any more "good" companies and ruin them.

p5200

Any new rifles I buy from now on will either be Savage or Tikka. My Tikka t3 lite in 25-06, is the first one for me and it's a real shooter as is my Savage 10fp in .223. :)