My 600.00 Colt Python ---Poor thing---

superpelly

The pony is still there, I think its just filled with to much bluing? I still have the gun (not sent in) . I have shot it, about 200 rounds 1/2 38 special and the rest 357 and it shoots great. Every time I look at it, it seems like its talking to me; reblue me ,reblue me , reblue me...... :eek: what to do!

AID_Admin

So, you got a gun that sells anywhere from $1800 to $2200 in excellent condition for... $600. And you need to invest another $425 to bring it back to an excellent condition. In the end you'll have a great looking and great shooting gun for about half of what it usually sells for. I don't see any hesitations here. If you think it's a problem, sell it to me for $700 the way it is now and make a profit :D:D:D

Enjoy your Colt, re-blued or not. It's a fantastic gun, I know first hand as I own one.

Bill DeShivs

Colt may not be able to make the gun look right. It apparently was badly rusted before the reblue. Bluing doesn't "fill" anything. The pony has been ground down.
Hope Colt gets it looking right.

superpelly

Interesting about Ford rebluing. I wonder if they use the Royal Deep Blue . Guess I need to call them. Anybody have A Python done through them?

Alpena

Honestly, I'd jump in joy at a find like that. I have no safe queens and would carry that python as my EDC since the finish isn't perfect on it anyway. It still a beautiful gun and with the price I'd be overjoyed. Like another poster said, "At least you have the pony gripes". Too many Colt revolvers have pachymer gripes so that's a plus. Get her refinished and enjoy that beautiful pony gun.

Homerboy

I don't get the crazy prices in pythons. I know they don't make them anymore and their action is smooth. But 2 grand for a used 30 year old gun? You could buy 3 S&W model 19's in perfect condition for 2 grand

But if the opinion here is correct, I'd refinish that gun for 1025 all in and flip it to double my money. Get yourself a free gun

Alpena

I don't get the crazy prices in pythons. I know they don't make them anymore and their action is smooth. But 2 grand for a used 30 year old gun? You could buy 3 S&W model 19's in perfect condition for 2 grand

But if the opinion here is correct, I'd refinish that gun for 1025 all in and flip it to double my money. Get yourself a free gun

The crazy prices started after the show "The Walking Dead" aired. The shows protagonist carries a nickel Colt python. Since then the price of pythons has skyrocketed because idiot fanboys who know nothing about guns are willing to pay 2 grand for a gun that costed less than 1 grand new 20 years ago. Personally I think there's better use of 2 grand but If I had an opportunity like the OP I would take it. Refinishing it, buying an old original colt box, and flipping it sounds like a great idea IMO.

superpelly

Forgot to mention that it came with a colt box.
(brown wood grain with red inside) The numbers written on the bottom of the box do not match the SN on gun.

Homerboy

I'm aware of the walking dead spurring sales of pythons. Another thread about pythons on here a month ago I said the same thing but other posters said it had nothing to do with it. But tex Shomaker is selling a reproduction of the duty leather the main character wears with the colt and sales are through the roof. Just like the s&w 29 wasn't a big seller until Dirty Harry and die hard and lethal weapon spurred sales of the beretta 92. Whoever owns colt right now should have put out a python remake. Just like s&w came out with the 66. Could have made a killing. Walking dead has been around for. 5 years and ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Alpena

Maybe not for another two seasons. But if you look at their latest trailer the protagonist (rick) is briefly seen using a H&K Mark 23 with a Silencerco suppressor, if he does switch from the python H&K is going to have a major sale increase.:p

Homerboy

Nah. Python will always be his main gun. Rick is supposed be a modern day sheriff, and the python is part of that. Andrew Lincoln, the guy who plays rick, walks around the set wearing the python and won't allow anybody else to touch it. Rick has used glocks, berettas, AR's etc. they're just guns he needs at the moment. But the python is his symbol. Let's face it, in a real end of the world situation, a revolver would be ditched as soon as possible. But cocking that hammer for every shot (cause it looks and sounds cool) just looks great on film

Alpena

Yeah your probably right. It just annoys me how he always shoots it one handed with left arm on his hip. A weaver stance would be a realistic change. :rolleyes: Gotta wait until October to find out. Back on topic.
It's good you have a colt box. Given the age I'm not surprised it's not the original. Get the factory reblueing done and see how things go. I think you'll be smitten by it after and won't want to let her go. And if you do I doubt you'll have much trouble selling it. You really can't go wrong.

Homerboy

Yeah. Funny how nobody ever misses either. Even rick with injured right band so he has to shoot left. Also funny how rick has an endless supply of 357. I can understand picking up 9MM and rifle a ammo from military and police but who has .357 laying around? I wish they would at least mention he was using 38 it even better that they were reloading ammo.

Alpena

Yeah. Funny how nobody ever misses either. Even rick with injured right band so he has to shoot left. Also funny how rick has an endless supply of 357. I can understand picking up 9MM and rifle a ammo from military and police but who has .357 laying around? I wish they would at least mention he was using 38 it even better that they were reloading ammo.
YYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!! Would it really hurt to put a few reloading presses in a scene every now and again? I mean it's not like Remington and Winchester are running at full production during the end of the world.

"Would it really hurt to put a few reloading presses in a scene every now and again?"

There were, in the main storage room at Woodbury. Looked like Lee Precision products.

That said, the show's not supposed to be "The Gunner's Video Guide to Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse," so they're not going to go into crap like "Rick, I couldn't find any Winchester Super-X 158-gr. jacketed hollow point in .357 Magnum, but I did manage to find some 135-gr. .38 Special +P Speer Gold Dot."

I have NO doubt that were you to say "Speer Gold Dot" to the cast, 95% of them would glaze over, 4.5% of the remainers would look vaguely confused, and .5% of them would know what you're talking about.