My 600.00 Colt Python ---Poor thing---

superpelly

Bought this Python for 600.00 The bluing is horrible. Who ever had it before me tried to reblue it (maybe 2x) But the action is great, barrel is great. It will be a fun shooter.

I did contact Colt ---- Refinsh with Royal Blue is now $425!!!!:eek:

Last edited:
Don't complain about the blue. I paid less but got less for the worn out Python I bought and this was years ago.

Pahoo

$500.00 Python !! ???

You really did quite well as those grips are worth $100.00+. Many sellers replace the original grips with rubber and sell them separate. So really, let's just say you paid $500.00. ..... :D

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Grant D

Sweet!! Now go ahead and get it reblued correctly. It still will be worth a lot more than you paid for it.

SPEMack618

Give you 500 bucks for it...and a the half eaten bag of peanuts on my desk.
:D

That being said, great find.

I've always thought that guns are meant to be shot, not sit behind glass in a museum, unless they're like Teddy's Sporterized '03 or something.

SaxonPig

You paid $600. Add $425 for deluxe factory blue. Total is $1025 or about half of what a 95% Python would cost. No, it wouldn't be new, but it would be pretty.

Saxon Pig beat me to the punch on the point I was going to make. Spend the $425 for the Royal Blue and know that you still have money in the bank with that one.

Model12Win

Forget that! I would just rather strip it with vinegar or whatever, then have it professionally reblued. That is just ridiculous paying as much for a new gun just to make this one a little prettier. It's a PYTHON, the one in the picture looks great to me. HARD to make these guns ugly even if they aren't finished as well as factory.

Colt46

Regardless of finish condition

A mechanically sound python is well worth the $600. Not even on my list of pickups, but I'd drop that cash in an eye link.

KyJim

That's the kind of Python I want to run into. I wouldn't feel a bit guilty about carrying it and shooting it.

5thShock

A buddy has one like that, a 4 inch that's been really used. It lives a good life roaming the desert and hills on various adventures while other Pythons doze the days away locked in steel boxes.

Clark

I have been looking, and many others have been looking for an affordable Python.

That was a great find at $600.
I would have expected the price tag to be $1500.

Savage99

I got a Python back when they first came out. Mine had the 6" bbl and was too muzzle heavy for me. I could not shoot it well.

My buddy got a Ruger at the same time in 44 mag. He shot hot loads and he could outshoot me in every way. At cans and targets at the old outdoor range.

He never had a problem with his Ruger. I got a Blackhawk then in .45 Colt and loaded it hot and it's still going strong. I settled on a 240 linotype SWC over 9.5 gr of Unique. That load is so effective and yet not punishing to the hand.

Recoil from a SAA type grip rolls the barrel up, it's easy on the hand.

The Python also spit lead from the front of it's cylinder. Then the forcing cone split open on the barrel. Colt put a new one on for free.

Then I got a Colt New Frontier 44 Special. I like that gun.

colt-new-frontier-2nd-gen-7-5-44-special-33.jpg

Last edited:

shaunpain

As everyone else has said, that Python looks good to me. The price is almost unbelievable so I say that not only did you do well, it's like you almost stole it! Look at it this way: the previous owner did you solid by making sure you couldn't look at it as anything but a shooter and gave you a good price. Now you won't obsess over worrying about the condition of the gun and you'll just use it.

Colt46

Love that New Frontier

I've always hated Colt's decision to put the plainest of walnut on a premium handgun, though.

zeke

Shoot it, see if ya like it. Some of my favorite range guns have serious wear on them, some of them bought used because of that.

If you don't like shooting it, like that sharp trigger in double action, maybe blue it and sell it. However the Pony appears almost wore off.

Edited to say, sorry didn't realize ya already sent it in.

Clark

My brother paid $800 at a gun show for a python with aftermarket grips on 11/12/2011.
I paid $1418 out the door at a pawnshop for a Nickel python on 12/10/213.

Attachments

• python 10-25-2013 $800 11-12-2011.jpg
    python 10-25-2013 $800 11-12-2011.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 108