"MOUSEGUNS" Love Them ,Hate Them, Admit To Carrying One

Haterade

I have a .25 Lorcin. It is actually decently reliable and reasonably accurate up to about 5 yards. I keep holding on to it hoping for a gun-buyback or something where I can get a bill for it. Otherwise, it's crap. While I have the money to afford better I'm not carrying it, that's for sure!

dogloose

I carry a Seecamp in a FIST Kydex pocket holster all the time... just like I carry my Buck Rush knife. I also carry a Glock 19. With or without the Glock I carry the Seecamp. It's my constant companion... along with my situational awareness.

BillCA

Skeeter,

Keep that Hi-Standard derringer in good working order. I've been looking for a good one for years. A local deputy used to carry a pair of 'em inside his duty jacket (in elastic sewn inside the pockets) and was forced to use one against a nutjob. Two rounds blew the front of his jacket to hell (and then some) but the BG dropped DRT. The .22 Mag is very underrated.

Mark B,
The Model 432PD is out of production, however you can still sometimes find them. Check Davidson's House of guns "gun locator" for starters. Ruger's SP101 is a tad heavy for it, but should work very well too. Don't overlook the S&W 431 with the traditional hammer either.

Tokamak

Define "mouse gun"

What is your definition of "mouse gun"? .25 caliber or less? Would a .45 caliber derringer be a mouse gun? (I shot one of those ONCE - never again). Is a P3AT a mouse gun?

Wikepedia defines a mouse gun .32 cal or less.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousegun

http://www.mouseguns.com/ defines a mouse gun as: A mousegun is a small pocket-size gun, lightweight, easy to conceal, and used only as a last resort

So what IS a mousegun?

I would agree with the definition of them being a .32 or smaller.

I personally would not consider a 9mm short/.380 a mousegun.

I consider my PPK to be a small handgun but not a mousegun.

cheygriz

I often carry a Beretta 950 in .25 ACP. 9 rounds of Hornady XTP is a comforting feeling even if they are only 1/4 inch diameter.:p

skeeter1

BillCA--

That High Standard derringer isn't going anywhere. Like I said, it is an heirloom from my dad. I still shoot it, but I have the original presentation case and papers. It's not the most accurate thing in the world, but it's great fun to shoot. Most of the guys at the range are amazed when I pull that little thing out and are amazed by the muzzle-blast and fireball when we shoot her. Some of the guys who are shooting the usual 9mms look at it as a toy until I pull the trigger. There's nothing wimpy about a .22WMR out of a 3" barrel. That's one fine little piece of iron! :D

PSP

I personally would not consider a 9mm short/.380 a mousegun.

Playboypenguin, The exception to the rule has to be the Seecamp .380, which is exactly the same as the .32 caliber.

I love my little mouseguns. They go where .45s fail to tread.
SeecampwithWalther.jpg

FS2K

I carry a Jennings J-22 in my shorts pocket

When night fishing in semi remote places. Better than throwing rocks to me.

A .45 Derringer Tokamak?!!? Dang! Ever see those .45LC./.410 GA Derringers? They're too big to be called Derringers to me.

mini14jac

What is your definition of "mouse gun"? .25 caliber or less?

According to most trainers, gun writers, and "experts" anything smaller than 9mm is a "mouse gun".
Most will tell you that you are crazy to carry a .38 unless it's your BUG. :eek:

When at all possible, I've got a "real" gun on my hip.

Much of the time however......

Seecamp .32 in my pocket, when nothing else is possible. :rolleyes:
It puts 7 holes in the COM of B27 target from 12' as fast as can pull the trigger.

Tokamak

derringers

A .45 Derringer Tokamak?!!? Dang! Ever see those .45LC./.410 GA Derringers? They're too big to be called Derringers to me.

Yeah, I have seen those long puppies. I even saw one with a SCOPE! To me that defeats the purpose of a derringer.

m8scope.jpg

A few words about that .45. First, it was not a big derringer. It looked more like this:
1gun.gif

The guy was grinning the whole time watching me and my 15 year old son shoot it - I figured what the heck, we both got a kick out of it, let him laugh at the looks on our faces when we shot it.

He said that the smack we got from firing it was similar to the smack he got firing his .357 S&W ultra light, which convinced me to never buy a .357 S&W ultra light.

Amazingly, I have seen derringers offered in .357! :eek:

BillCA

That's not a mouse gun; Now THIS is a mouse gun!

I wish I had a photo...

I did a ride-along with a LEO friend one night and we stopped an elderly pedestrian at night. Gramps was visiting his married granddaughter & great-grandkids and decided to go for a walk and got himself woefully lost. Nice old guy from rural Tennesse. But in his back pocket was a large single-shot derringer. When opened it held a single .45-70 round! He admitted to shooting it - once - "and it near tore my elbow off". :eek: In his 80's, it seemed more likely to hurt him than a BG. He got a ride home and his property returned with a warning about carrying in California.

I'd forgotten about this until I watched Crocodile Dunee late last nite. :D

Rimrod

I bought a NAA mini revolver to carry as a back-up on duty, but I had to use both hands to shoot it so I bought a .32 Guardian and used it instead.

BillCA, Nice 31s. I like that 3" model. .32s are great plinkers too, not much powder, not much lead but a whole lot of fun.

cheygriz

Mini14jac,

You stated that according to most "trainers, gunwriters, and experts"

PLEASE Never confuse gunwriters with experts or trainers! Gunwriters are typewriter jockeys that write whatever pleases the advertisers that buy advertising in their magazines!:p

According to most trainers, gun writers, and "experts" anything smaller than 9mm is a "mouse gun".
Most will tell you that you are crazy to carry a .38 unless it's your BUG
I am only 40 so I have not seen everything, but in all my years in the military, at marksmanship tournies, and in law enforcement training I never once had one of the many firearms experts I met ever tell me carrying a .38 as a primary was crazy. In fact that seemed a popular caliber with many of them.

I have however seen many self appointed experts, gun shop commandos, and internet bloggers say that.