Most reliable 9mm

Recycled bullet said:
I handled a Springfield Armory Browning hi power yesterday it felt crunchy when the slide was operated and the beaver tail has sharp corners where it meets my hand.

Unfortunately no live fire demonstration to confirm or deny my suspicions.
What suspicions?

jmr40

Hard to go wrong with a Glock. But your Sig should have done better. It's not the Sig design. I'm going with something about that particular Sig.

Revolvers are actually one of the worst choices for dirty environments. Lots of small, complex moving parts with tight tolerances and lots of openings for crud to get inside. Striker fired semi-autos keep the moving parts inside, and there are fewer openings for crud to get inside.

rock185

I'm another who is not one of Glock's greatest fans. But, as already suggested, I'd say get a Glock and be done with it. Relaxed fit of barrel/slide/frame, generous chamber dimensions, etc. Just the thing for a dusty environment. I've had a number of boringly reliable 9mm pistols that I much prefer over Glocks. But for reliability, reasonable price, ease of service and parts availably, hard to beat Glock IMHO..

lunger

Smith and Wesson M&P series may be worth a look . Ultra reliable in my experience , although I have not used one in the dusty conditions you describe.

bamaranger

"jam"

I'm having a bit of a problem following what your "jam" looks like........a pic would be nice. As a general rule, fails to feed are usually an ammo or magazine problem.

How many mags do you have for the P229, are they SIG/MecGar mags?

44 AMP

Staff
I carry a pistol in all of my farm vehicles as a basic tool (varmints, deer hits, badly injured cattle, etc). Lots of dirt roads with lots of dust.

Sealed plastic bag.

Either just around the gun, or one big enough to fit the holstered pistol into. Sealed keeps out the dirt and dust, and as its a tool, not a carried on the person defensive weapon, the time needed to remove the pistol from the bag is not a vital issue. Put one of the desiccant capsules in the bag if moisture/condensation is an issue.

A regular pistol rug would help, but I'm thinking the usual zipper closure would allow fine dust to work its way in, and plastic bags are much cheaper.

There are some designs that have proven more reliable than others, and there are individual guns that have not lived up to their design's reputation, both ways.

wild cat mccane

Been thinking about how crappy you situation is...

Glocktalk has a current thread asking what one .40 would you pick if you could only pic one. P229 comes up a lot,

I think Glock is the answer to your direct question.

Getting your P229 working is the best option. You've got a "cooler" gun than anything that can be recommended. Dust shouldn't jam up any auto.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Dust shouldn't jam up any auto.

Enough dust can jam up anything with moving parts.

And when there isn't quite enough dust to actually stop vital parts from moving, they wear at an accelerated rate. Think "Nature's free valve grinding compound". :rolleyes:

Sand (Silica) and its dust is also a listed carcinogen,:eek: but ONLY if you are a company buying or selling it. :rolleyes:

IF you just live in it, because it blows in off the surrounding desert, or off dirt roads etc, its NOT a listed carcinogen. Govt wisdom at work....

wild cat mccane

Not disagreeing with your statement.

I think the OP isn't saying dust or dirt is causing the failure. If he is, that probably isn't correct that his P229 is failing because of dust/dirt.

While grease required, the P series shouldn't not be working because of dirt/dust. A P series functioning correctly is going to run as well as others...

When MAC did that pretty awful VP9 review where he was literally throwing the VP9 at a steel target for some unknown dumb reason, the pistol broke. Well, so would probably the main battle rifle of the US and any other pistol.

Last edited:

Rojack79

Not disagreeing with your statement.

I think the OP isn't saying dust or dirt is causing the failure. If he is, that probably isn't correct that his P229 is failing because of dust/dirt.

While grease required, the P series shouldn't not be working because of dirt/dust. A P series functioning correctly is going to run as well as others...

When MAC did that pretty awful VP9 review where he was literally throwing the VP9 at a steel target for some unknown dumb reason, the pistol broke. Well, so would probably the main battle rifle of the US and any other pistol.
Why is he throwing a gun at a steel target? Do you have a link to that because now I'm morbidly curious.

TunnelRat

Some pistols seem more tolerant of adverse environments than others. Enough dust absolutely can cause malfunctions, sometimes even less than you might expect. It sounds like even clean this particular pistol is temperamental, so it’s perhaps not the ideal example of reliability for a P series SIG.

Someone above mentioned a flap holster. Honestly that’s not a bad idea, imo.

TunnelRat

I remember that video. He went on in later videos to admit he went overboard when he threw the pistol. He also tested the VP9 multiple times in the “Gauntlet” and it never did as well as a number of other pistols. I have had 2 VP9s, they’re my least favorite HK.

The Gauntlet videos were a decent attempt to try to create a baseline of comparison among pistols. I think it’s worth noting that a number of pistols did as well or better than the Glock in those tests, and I have seen similar results in other tests too. I think Glocks are reliable firearms, I’ve owned a number of them and fired thousands of rounds through them. I do think these days there are pistols that compete in reliability. Frankly the P229 should be able to compete to a better extent than described here, though from posts above it seems the OP bought it knowing it was a problem pistol.

I would rather have a flap holster than a Ziploc bag, but if you don’t expect to need the pistol with any urgency and you’re that inundated with dust, it’s certainly an option.

bamaranger

cheap

In a previous post, the OP states that he "got it cheap because it wouldn't feed". So this is more than a dust/environment problem, the pistol had issues when he bought it......and he knew it..... apparently. Dust and environment likely aggravate the problem, but the pistol has not run right from the onset.

Another question.......how long ago since the pistol was detail (armorer) stripped, cleaned and lubed.......like down to all the itty-bitty pieces. When was the last time the extractor assembly was out of the gun and cleaned.

Another thought......I wonder if the gun has the correct extractor, pin and spring. I don't remember what extractor parts were interchangeable, but if they are model specific, a previous owner or a sloppy armorer may have installed incorrect extractor parts. Or....it just could be a wonky extractor.

If the gun has been back to SIG, they likely detailed and test fired........

I dunno.

MarkCO

Glock 17 or 19 is a solid and reasonable choice.

Other options are...

CZ P07 or P09 (hammer fired, durable, a little more accurate)

Glock clones: Canik, PSA Dagger, Stoeger STR9. All have proven long term reliable, the later two are cheaper.

V35

For a farm truck gun, check AIM Surplus for a LEO trade-in G17. Who cares if it's ugly.

The CZ P09 is a fine choice but hard to find at nearly twice the price of that LEO trade-in. (edit: I take it back. They're not that expensive)

Zero failures with my G17 or the P09.

I have heard great things about the IWI Masada also, but I don't have one of them. Same for Canik. I've seen them at the range and their owners love them.

Even cheaper is a .40 cal since no one seems to want them any more, but you asked about 9mm.

Pistoler0

I think that H&K are a great choice for rough environments, P30 series or. USP

The problem that I could see with a Glock is that in a farm environment, a pistol without an external (thumb) safety could be troublesome if one gets distracted. Unless no round is in the chamber, which on the farm might not be necessary

Own a P30sk and it has never ever failed with any kind of ammo, and I rarely clean or lube it. They are not that pricey anymore, either.

Last edited: