• Beretta

Votes: 43 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 28 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

juliet charley

more often than not a 1911A1 is nowhere near as reliable as a Glock, Sig or Beretta
Maybe I've been fortunate, but I have owned a few Colts and Kimbers, and that has not been my experience. In fact, I have never have a Colt or Kimber not be 100% reliable out of the box. I have not had a SIG or Beretta that was not 100% reliable out of the box--that has NOT been MY experience with Glock (though I've only had one bad one). I would say the SIG P226, Beretta 92 and Glock 17 (not necessarily the 19 or the 2x and 3x Glocks) are as reliable as anything out there.

cas

Either of you guys worn out a handgun lately?
Must be more of a problem then I'm aware of.

Overrated can mean a lot. If you have pistol A and pistol B, and pistol A is just as accurate as pistol B. Pistol A also is just as reliable pistol B. But pistol B gets lots of discussion on the net and at the range. Lots of magazine articles written about it, and lots more advertisements for them... then pistol B is overrated. No better, no worse, and through no fault of it's own.

But then again... pistol B could in fact really suck, yet all the couch commandos and mall ninjas would still swear by it.

AUG

Bear in mind I didn't read all six pages but I gotta say the Sigs are the most overrated handguns in my opinion. I just don't "get" sig's appeal.

HKP7PSP

Back in the 1980s there was mostly Sig Sauer and Beretta. The Sig had a shorter trigger and was easier to shoot by many people. That is how it got its appeal. Now I still prefer them to USPs in many cases, but I like Glocks even more. I still like the P228 and P225 and P232 and obviously the P210.

Dave85

The important thing to remember with a thread like this is that every opinion, no matter how logically obtained or firmly held, is just that: an opinion. It is, therefore, necessarily subjective to a great degree. We form our opinions based on a mix of what WE have read, and what WE have heard, and what WE have experienced. And to some degree, what WE feel.

For example, if all of my friends tell me that Glock are great guns, and all of the gunwriters that I read say the same, and then the Glock I purchase has two stovepipes in the first box of ammo, chances are I will think they are all a bunch of useless Kool-aid drinkers, and the things are overrated.

Conversely, what if all of my experience has been with Hi-Points, Jennings, and early Sigmas? In all likelihood, under the same circumstances I will probably think it is the wondergun of legend.

It is important to always remember the difference between these three phrases:
1. "I know..."
2. "I think..."
3. "I feel..."

The first should be very rarely used. The second should be the measure striven for in almost all of our decisions. The third should be reserved for matters of the heart. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for this thread, guns, for most of us, are just that. ;)

Dave85

Someone who has stopped thinking critically and become a "true beliver." It is a reference to the People's Temple cultists in Jonestown, Guyana who drank the poisoned Kool-aid because Jim Jones told them to.

rauchman

I have 2 specific pistols that I think are overated, and then a brand. The one I voted for (brand) was Glock. I think they are great pistols, but I don't think they are not without flaws. I myself have owned a G22 and currently a G19. I experienced quite a few failure to feeds with the G22, hated the recoil characteristics and found the grip uncomfortable. Now my buddy who shot the G22 loved it. As I said, I think they are great guns, but from what I've seen the Glock fans tend to overblow the Glock's capabilities. In that sense I find them overrated.

The 2 pistols:

HKP7 - I was so hyped up to get one these, a few months ago when there were a slew of P7PSP trade in's from Germany, I picked up two them. After having them for awhile, they do nothing for me. Anyone in the market for one of these, shoot me an email.

BHP - Yes, I know...blasphemous!!! I picked up a brand new one a couple of years ago and was utterly dissapointed. It had the worst out of the box trigger I've ever felt on an auto. Took out the mag disconnect and didn't do much of anything. To shoot it was an excercise in pain. I found out quickly what hammer bite was all about. On top of that, the web of my hand would go over the beavertail and then get squished by the hammer in recoil. Not fun. Traded it for an SA 1911 Loaded.

Handy

Rauch,

Not saying you're wrong about the P7, but have you tried shooting it in some sort of speed competition, like IDPA or steel plates? That's really where those guns shine.

Firepower!

CZ

I voted CZ since I dont like anything they make except the automatic CZ75. Every other model is just a pistol with nothing special. Most over-rated in my opinion.

Skooter

I voted stock 1911 because to me they don't actually do any one thing really well. You can make them perform well at almost anything (with or without spending the big bucks) but the point is you have to. At least all the others are very good at something.

Firepower!

Even if the Glock is leading this poll of unpopularity, it certainly is not because:

A. It is modestly priced
B. It does what its intended for
C. It is not creating a hype rather purely a business pistol for duty that is very reliable.

Blue Grass

Gotta be Glock. It's like a cosmic joke the universe is playing on me. I just don't get it. They don't fit my hand, the trigger guard mashes my middle finger, the grip angle is wrong, and they have the worst trigger ever put on a gun. However, I know it must just be me. My neice CCW's a Glock 33 in .357 S.I.G. She can drive tack with that little thing but I couldn't shoot myself with it. Different strokes for different folks.

predecessor

Even if the Glock is leading this poll of unpopularity, it certainly is not because:

A. It is modestly priced
B. It does what its intended for
C. It is not creating a hype rather purely a business pistol for duty that is very reliable.

No doubt. The reason it is leading the poll is because most Glock owners don't subscribe to this description. Rather they use words like "God made Glock" and "Perfection" and act like there isn't another gun in the world that even comes close. This simply is not the case, and begins to wear on sensible shooters -- hence the sizable lead that Glock owns in this poll.

Father Time

Glocks are the most overrated pistols on the planet. The fact that glock gives massive discounts to law enforcment proves nothing about the quality of the weapon.
Bad ergos, Bad trigger, Cult like following....
"It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger" so what so does my CZ75 and Berretta 92, Springfield Trophy Match even my cheapo shooter Bersa thunder. All of my pistols are reliable but I don't need to hear other people say it to justify my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.