Mossberg "re-invents" the classic 30-30 levergun...

jimbob86

That gun fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
But that's just my opinion.

More like "Fled blindfolded through the Forest of Ugly, and ran full tilt into every trunk at least once."

Gehrhard

I'm holding out for the folding stock and PGO versions!
.357 Max, Mag, .38 Spcl. in the truck or trunk, I'm tellin' ya!

Last edited:

Crosshair

Sweet, a factory threaded 30-30. No need to send it off to get threaded and have the front sight moved back. Is the threading 5/8x24 RH and good for cans?

Legionnaire

Y'know, on second thought, black powder cartridges probably wouldn't be too healthy in an AR. But they might be just dandy in that monstrosity! Can you see some cast boolits in front of holy black? ;)

prob

The folks over at Mossberg must think that people will buy anything as long as there is a tactical cachet attached to the product.

This gun makes some of the new monstrosities peddled by Rossi/Taurus look like classic beauties.

rshanneck2002

It took me 10-15 yrs to get used to basically plastic being put in and on bolt actions and pistols such as the glock,but this? really? Like the guy said earlier, it hurts the eyes when you first see it. No way would i buy this rifle in such a format,Marlin 336 all the way if i ever do buy one. In wood. Man this only proves to me one thing., i am getting old and the US is truly building junk. I hope the guts of this rifle are better. AR-15 yeah, 30-30 dont think so. Wood is beautiful.

Andy Griffith

^^^ Does that guy work for Mossberg?

Looks a lot like a feller that used to work at the S&W shooting sports center in Springfield some years ago.

All joking aside, they're just slapping things at the wall to see what sticks (or in their case...sells), which is what any good company needs to do. There is a lot of competition in the marketplace, and they are trying to get some $$$ from the fastest growing crowd in the US- the "under 30" generation X that has grown up with video games which have guns that don't make sense, but just might sell to a non-traditional crowd. After all, fellers the age of what I think the majority of us on here are- aren't buying much right now, but that is subject to change according to the outlook on the election.

Last edited:

TX Hunter

It does look funny but i would have loved to have that adjustable butstock when i started my kids Deer hunting. I had to cut a good stock to make it fit.

twobit

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can hear my 117 year old Winchester model 1892 laughing from within the gun safe.... and it is at home 35 miles away from here!

Gehrhard

You are the same guys who laughed at improvments over the Volcanic. Were dismayed when a shirt manufacturer bought them out. You knocked a forearm on the Henry. Cried when they added the King's Patent loading gate. Thought centerfire cartridges and smokeless powder were a fad. Were disgusted by a vertical bolt lock and high-pressure cartridges. Thought angle-eject was a perversion. Optics on a lever were sacrilage to you.

You are all old fuddy duddies but Mossberg and I, we are forward looking.

;)

TX Hunter

I wonder if you could buy the colapsable butstock as an option ? No guys Im serious, Ive got to start getting ready for Grand Kids, in the next several years. I love the 30 30 cartridge as a first Deer Rifle, and if I can adjust the buttstock thats a plus, then when the kids are done playing with it, I can return it to normal. :) Ohh, dont look at me that way, Im not gonna mount a flashlight on it.:D

Gehrhard

When's the first "space movie" this'll appear in?
As for buying the rear as an aftermarket product, I don't know what other guns it may fit than a Mossberg, but, knowing Mossberg the "replacement part" will not be available separately for many months.

Gaucho Gringo

Mossberg makes this same rifle in traditional wood and blued steel. I personally prefer the traditional model. If I was hunting in conditions like the people in the History Channel's program "Swamp People" I would want a composite stock and durable non rusting finish on the metal parts. For this kind of use it is too bad they don't make a gun like the old Remington Nylon rifles that came out in the 60's. I thought they had all the appeal of a day old roadkill, but they could take abuse that would leave a normal rifle a pile of rusting junk and still fire. I would hope the firearms world is big enough for all kinds of guns to be accepted.