Mine is bigger than YOURS!

sm

ROTL great TOPIC, great pics.
Everyone, thanks, I'm learning something...please continue

[p.s. afraid/curious whadya do with mr turtle?]

Steve,

Here's a pretty good picture of a large gun being installed on the USS Connecticut, BB 18.

You can see how much the gun protrudes into the turret.

WNUS_12-45_mk5_Connecticut_gun_pic.jpg

houndawg

I've never seen one of those, but I have fired a 6.1 inch gun quite a few times. It's a M198 155mm howitzer. I have a picture on my computer of me pulling the lanyard, and you can actually see the round going downrange, but I don't have any way of posting it here.

K80Geoff

ww.warships1.com is a fantastic site. Full of more info than anyone can possibly digest. Have had it bookmarked for two years and go there regularly.

The info on navies of the world is just incredible, where else can you find the info on every Battleship ever made! It is a work in progress, gets better all the time!

A little Quiz:

Name the only US Battleship not named for a state, and what was it named for?

Name the only WW2 era US Heavy Cruiser not named after a city? How did it get its name?

Which US WW2 Carrier was named after a bombing raid?

The only US Destroyer not named after an individual?

Coronach

Name the only US Battleship not named for a state, and what was it named for?
Kearsarge. Named after...uhm...Kearsarge.
Name the only WW2 era US Heavy Cruiser not named after a city? How did it get its name?
Dunno...have to thinkabout that one.
Which US WW2 Carrier was named after a bombing raid?
USS Shangri-La
The only US Destroyer not named after an individual?
USS The Sullivans, named after the Sullivan brothers killed aboard...uhm...USS Juneau when she blew up after a torpedo attack.

OK, thats from memory. Gimmee a minute to think about the one I missed.

Mike

Coronach

Well, I COULD say Prinz Eugen, which was named after, well, Prince Eugen, as we ended up with her as a war prize...but I'm betting you mean something else.

Mike ;)

Coronach

Well...I could cheat again and say either ship of the Alaska class, but thats obviously not what you mean, either. Hmmm....USS Canberra named not after a city, but after HMAS Canberra.

Yes? No? Bueller?

Mike

UltimaThule

Big brass ones?

I lifted this picture from the same site as I linked to in a previous post. It's ammo for the 80 cm railway gun "Dora" that was used in the siege of Sevastopol in 1942.

How about a gelatin test? Or maybe some goats. Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Attachments

• dora.jpg
    dora.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 75
1. Kearsarge, named after the steam frigate that sank the CSS Alabama during the Civil War.

2. USS Canberra, named after the HMAS Canberra, sunk at the battle of Savo Island off Guadalcanal in 1942.

(Alaska, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii don't count. They were battle cruisers.)

3. There wasn't one. Trick question. The carrier wasn't named after the Doolittle Raid. It was named after the mythical place in the James Hilton's novel "Lost Horizon."

When asked where the raid originated, Franklin Roosevelt said "Shangri La."

4. If the answer you're looking for is "The Sullivans," this is another trick question.

There have been TWO USS The Sullivans -- the Burke Class guided missile destroyer DDG 68 and the Fletcher Class DD 537.

Coronach

AH! I should have remembered the dual between the Alabama and the Kearsarge! Damn damn damn. I still get partial credit...I got the ship right. :D

And Mike, I don't think that was a trick question. The Doolittle raid and Roosevelt's reply were direct inspirations for the ship's name. Kind of a funny joke, actually. I wonder if the Japanese are laughing?

Mike

Steve Smith

Ok, Mike, I'm back with more questions. I see that the gun takes up a good 80% of the turret space (front to rear). That case is at least 4' high. Where did it go when being ejected? Was the chamber in multiple peices so that more space behind the block wasn't necessary? Do you get what I'm asking?

I know I'm splitting a hare (and it's pissed about it :) ), but I'm pretty certain that the Doolittle raid's operation name wasn't Shangri-La. Officially it may well have been called the Doolittle Raid or Doolittle Operation.

That was Roosevelt's response on April 21 to reporters who asked where the raid originated.

Another tidbit...

Kearsarge was also the name of Essex class carrier 33.

Steve,

Yes, I get what you're asking, and I think you are vastly underestimating how much larger the turrets are as the shell gets bigger.

Now, here's how I THINK the empties were handled on these ships. When the breech opened and the spent case was ejected, my guess is that it fell into a trough under the breech and was pushed forward and out of the turret by some sort of hydraulically operated mechanism.

The 5" guns were loaded manually, with automatic ramming. Since the shells and cartridges could be handled by one person, you could make things a little tighter than they normally would be otherwise.

In this picture you get a pretty good idea as to how deep the turrets were on the Rodney and Nelson. The turret had to be this deep to allow for both the gun and the heavy shell handling equipment that was needed.

WNBR_16-45_mk1_pic.jpg

This picture also gives a very good idea as to the overall size of the turrets vs. guns (this is the USS Delaware, which used the same guns as Connecticut).

WNUS_12-45_mk5_Delaware_pic.jpg

Obviously, the largest guns needed the deepest turrets.

In the case of the Connecticut, whose picture I posted, gun protrusion into the turret was probably about 10 feet.

In this line drawing, you can get an idea for the overall size of the turret, and extrapolate just how much of the breech and gun is in the turret.

USbb18_Connecticut-LD1.jpg

Overall bore length of these guns was 45 feet. I'm not 100% clear on whether that length included the breech mechanism or not, but I think it did.

Given that, with the larger guns, I'd say that the gun takes up no more than 50 to 60% of the overall depth of the turret. The other 50% is filled to the brim with men and equipment.

I'll see if I can dig up some other photos showing the interior of a turret.

All photos linked from www.warships1.com, the best ship site on the web.

Steve, we've hit the mother lode...

This is a British 15" dual guns.

It gives a pretty good look at how the guns were situated in the turret.

I'm not 100 % certain, but I THINK a lot of the stuff behind the guns wouldn't normally have been there, that it's part of the construction process, otherwise there simply wouldn't have been enough room to accomplish all of the tasks necessary for the crew.

WNBR_15-42_mk1_Abercrombie_turret_pic.jpg

I also just realized that I'm not crediting www.warships1.com with being the source for these photos.