Militia uses for the shotgun...

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Some like minded folks and I have been kicking this around for a while.Let's see what you think....

Life has a lot of uncertainty. Ask the ghosts of Pompeii, Hiroshima, or Johnstown, Pa. Or those of Dachau, Guernica, or Wounded Knee.

Survival of the big disasters is more by luck or the Grace of G*d than skill and preparation. But, smaller catastrophes not only are manageable to some degree but much more common.

Hurricanes,blizzards,earthquakes,wildfires, power outages,assassinations, unpopular court decisions, etc, have all disrupted society enough in my lifetime that authority and law were broken down, chaos reigned,and good folks found themselves defenseless except for what they could provide for themselves, their families and communities.

These crises were short term,localized,and things settled down within weeks.But people had to shift for themselves temporarily,and this often demanded arms. Remember those store owners with shotguns during the King riots in LA? I do, and you can bet your paycheck the rioters do also.

Regardless of what you may hear from the gun shop commandos, Crisis Management is often best served by long arms, including shotguns. Handguns are for last ditch defense.

And like the pioneers of old with the musket kept ready and dry over the fireplace, we need to have a weapon quickly accessible, and kept with a fair amount of ammo.

While the military sends folks out with 200 rounds or more each, we'll not be using much suppressive fire in our 'hoods, or at least I hope not. And banditti, looters and others who lack regard for the rights of others will not be charging into fire like the Light Brigade.A few shots, a few casualties will send them elsewhere and/or into better behavior.

At a guess, make it 50 rounds kept on or near the weapon, more elsewhere that can be accessed in a few minutes, if not instantly.

That 50 rounds should be portable as a unit. Something that can be grabbed and run with. A 25 round shell belt is a good idea for starters. A fanny pack setup like many turkey hunters use with two of the Nam era 12 round pouches with the other box in the big pocket in back will work also, and not bend the budget much.Maybe one pouch for buck, the other for slugs.

As for the Community Defense shotgun, it can be your HD shotgun with a few minor changes.

On a HD shotgun, a sling is a detriment, a snag waiting to happen at the worst possible time.

On a "Serious" shotgun used outside the home, it's essential.Both HD and CD shotguns should have sling studs, that "Life is uncertain" thing again.

And while a bead sight is no handicap for HD, the longer ranges outside pretty much mandate some slug capability. GR or rifle style sights are a good idea.

Lights on HD shotguns are a good idea, but not on a CD shotgun.

A hand's up in the back of the lecture hall.

"Alll this is wellngood, but wouldn't a EBR and a lot of mags be a better choice?"....

Possibly,but those cost much more, have much less use outside of their quasi military niche, and are prohibited in some of our less enlightened(thus more dangerous) states. One can field three pump guns, suitably accoutured, for the price of a AR or M1A. And one can hunt or shoot clays with a shotgun, multiple usage means greater proficiency.

And, ideally your shotgun and you will be part of a 3 person fire team doing sentry duty, looter interdiction, etc, with at least one rifle among you for greater flexibility.That rifle can be a deer rifle like a 30-30 lever action, or a bolt action '06. Precision at longer ranges is more crucial than firepower for these uses.

Questions, comments? The floor is open for discussion....

Hkmp5sd

A shotgun is a tool with certain characteristics that are beneficial for what you are describing. It is not one that will cover all of the needs in a civil disturbance where neighbors will group together and defend themselves.

What good is everyone having a shotgun if the BG's can sit out at 100+ yards and pick you off with their rifles?

For close quarters defense inside my home, I prefer a shotgun. If that combat moved outside my house, where the distances open up, I would prefer a rifle or carbine.

Remember, the pioneers with their old muskets could still knock down targets a long distances.

CULLENIII

I have thought about this as well. I fel that if a scenario arises --I will not be the only one with a firearm. In my case--members of my family. I regard myself as the guardian of the family but that does not mean the others wont defend themselves. I looked for a weapon that could be cheap to get--a few family members--durable---easy to shoot-and effective. I have found this weapon to be an SKS. Shotguns were good --but i looked at range and pump action of it---not to mention recoil and feel the SKS is a good compromise---even though the M1 carbine was high in the running--sks was cheaper.

ronin308

I agree with Hkmp5sd. I would much prefer a carbine or a rifle in a situation like this. Ideally, my wife would have the AR and I would have a scoped bolt .308. Like Hkmp5sd said, inside my home however, the shotgun is king.

Ledbetter

For this purpose

I have a web pistol belt with "alice" suspenders. The belt has a (empty) pistol holster, mag pouch and 2 shotshell holder pouches, one with buck and one with slugs (10 each plus 8 buck in the 590). After reading this, I may add more ammo capacity to the belt. This rig hangs in the closet next to my smaller long-gun cabinet. It is hidden when the closet door is closed.

I also have mags for my M1A totalling 160 rounds (and an ammo supply much larger), and 280 rounds of M2 ball on strippers set aside for my M1.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Dave has brought this subject up before (preparedness) and this is a timely reminder. Thanks bud.

Regards.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Having lived through a couple of these, though not intimately involved, I have to agree with Dave.

Couple of points come to mind.

1, While I have some wonderful rifles, a shotgun in the trunk makes a bunch of sense. Several of the folks hurt in the Atlanta Rodney King riots were trapped in trafffic and fair game for the rioters. A shotgun would have worked just fine for diverting them from your corner of the road. I can cheerfully afford a shotgun with the possibility of loss or damage. I'd bereally irked if one of my riflles got damaged or stolen.

2, If we had a disturbence here and now, a couple of my neighbors hunt birds. I can arm one with a shotgun with some confidence (used 'em before) but not so with an AK/AR/M1A/SKS.. Once again, I can get several shotguns for the price of a decent MBR.

I think the shotgun also makes a lot of sence due to ammo selection and limited range. If my tactical mission is to ward off evildoers in my neighborhood, a cloud of buckshot won't strike someone 2 1/2 miles away as my MBR cartridges might. There are a lot of houses with-in a couple of miles of my place.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Thanks for the responses,guys,some great points.

As for rifles, I like them too. If I had to relive the days when I glimpsed the proverbial pachyderm, I'd want that M-14 back.

But here and now I've little use for toys that are very specialized, expensive and would mostly set in the safe. Shotguns are versatile, fun, cheap and effective like you wouldn't believe inside their range limits.

A combination of long arms would be more effective than either rifles or shotguns by themselves.

And, most shot opps in this 'hood would be in shotgun range, at least for me. With either "Serious" 870 and the slug of choice, I'd be a squad problem out to 100 meters. Only shots across the athletic field in back would need a rifle.

And my Model 94 can cover that. So could a SKS, if one with less than a ten lb trigger can be found.

And like Giz sez, we can neutralize a threat at close range without hurting non combatants out on the horizon. Right tool for the right job.

And these scenarios are likely to be more of a police style crisis than the Battle for Hue.

A note about survivalists.....

Lots of them have this loner view where they have to hold off the ravening hordes of______(Insert your particular bogeyman here) by themselves.

The H*ll with that. I want the neighbor who was an infantry Lt in Nam whose nurse wife has lots of ER experience on my side. He has an 1100 and a scoped 06, maybe some other guns also.Heck,he'd probably be a better leader than I.

His three teenage sons can shoot too, I taught them in the Scouts.

Another neighbor, whose kids tend to climb on me, works for the Treasury, was in the Secret Service, and has a handgun or two. He's shotgun qualified, and a loan of an 870 and ammo might be a good move if the fit hits the shan.

Or the Hull Elf, who has even more shotguns than I do, a coupla rifles, and does what 45 ACP reloading I need for my practice ammo. He's a vet also.

Or the nice lady who lives next door, works for NSA,never talks shop and shoots in a pistol league on Tuesday nights. She might get a loaner 22 rifle too.

All these folks live close enough we could enfilade fire from our houses if we had to.

Heck, the Pakistanis next door might end up with Son's little NEF and a handful of shells for their CD weapon. Easy to learn manual of arms, and one shot beats no shot all hollow.

But your circumstances WILL vary. A little thought now, some preparation and supply will make your community safer. And if your community is safer, so are you....

C.R.Sam

And if your community is safer, so are you....

Yep.

My close buds are all old cripples. But between us there is a wealth of experience that is passed to the young bucks n does who can lift and hump. Eyes that really see, ears that know what to hear and general mental awareness are a very important part of the community arsenal.

Sam

Mannlicher

I can agree with much of this thought, and I have a number of suitable shotguns for this scenerio. However, I like a rifle better. I am not concerend with the cost, they were bought and paid for years ago. Some folks worry to darn much about what quality, effective weapons cost. Make a plan, buy what you really need. A weapon you plan to defend your life,and the lives of your loved ones is worth sacrificing a new car or boat for.

If I feel my M1A is the right choice, I can pull it from the safe, If the situation calls for something else, I have that too. Staying at home, in a disaster situation, as we did after Andrew, you have the option of using it all. I am not one for bugging out.

Jody Hudson

After long and careful contemplation of REALITIES, I too have opted for a pair of long magazine Mossbergs. I MUCH prefer the top tang safety as it is visable, easy to use with, or without, gloves and the gun is not only inexpensive but very reliable and accurate.

You might want to consider a rifled barrel on your shotgun, which will take it's favorite sabot out to nearly 200 yards with 4 MOA or so and a LOT of presence! That rifleing will tend to spread the shot more quickly and add lots of distance and accuracy to the correct sabots.

I like the idea of 12 ga. flares for serious counter-terrorist psyops if needed. Nothing like a few ounces of white phosphorous to take some of the macho out of even the bad ones. I like lots and lots of heavy trap loads at 25 rounds for $4 at Walmart, and I have several boxes of QuikShoks for those elephants, as well as some copper-solids to penetrate engine blocks, some cheap slugs, some various buck-shots as well as several boxes of larger duck, turkey and goose loads.

I vote for Mossbergs, with long magazines, the large capacity bandoliers that hold 40 rounds and one over each shoulder gives a lot of selection with each of the different types of ammo visable and easy to get at. Those bandoliers are nearly weightless, very inexpensive, and several of them can go into a small backpack if need be.

Even though I live on a farm with clear shots in every direction of 6,000 feet or more, I've opted for the Mossy as it will put the sabots where I want them out to my maximum realistic ranges. I still keep a couple of small rifles - a Daewoo in .223 and an SAR 2 in 5.45 x 39 but they are for fun and while they are both very accurate -- not meaningfully so, if I really had to use them perhaps.

Other than that, my REAL Bug Out Bag "Rifle" is my superbly accurate Glock 19 which gives me about the same hit count at 250 yards, on a 12 inch metal disc, as the shotgun and rifles do!!!

Frank

I'm also going with the shotgun. In LA, the store owners were in an urban setting with lots of hardscape and hard, flat surfaces. A rifle bullet can hop, skip & jump all over the place there. I live in a suburb with a lot of the same characteristics. I'm less than 50 meters from a 4 lane boulevard. I've got houses on the side and to my rear, a triplex across the street and a vacant lot on the blvd. side. An errant shot on my part could do some serious damage to innocents.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Thanks, folks, it seems that I'm not the only one with an eye to the future.

Sam, I'm still in touch with a couple of guys from my old unit. One and all, we've aches, pains, and so on. But, if a threat to us,family or homes
were perceived, it would be removed without delay or quarter.BTW, one and all, we have guns. While they vary, each of us has at least one repeating shotgun.

Surviving an attempt to kill oneself is the ultimate reality check/wakeup call.

Mann, I doubt I'll ever sell any of the current collections of tools here. Purchased with forethought, they fit in a niche and complement each other. My HBAR (Hill Billy Assault Rifle) AKA Model 94 does rifle duty nicely. When some of this house graduate from college and discretionary income returns, a scoped BA will be the first addition, but that's just because I like long range plinking and deer hunting. Best bud's buying a farm in Iowa, heh, heh...

Frank and Jody, good points too.

Andrew Wyatt

great minds think alike

Oddly enough, i came to the exact same conclusion on the choice of shotgun setup relatively independently.

I have a long tube mossberg with GR sights and sling swivels that is my left handed ready gun. the one for those deformed right handed people is my dads defender with a surefire light.

I must take issue with the thought that a CD shotgun shouldn't have a light on it. a CD shotgun will probably get used indoors more often than not, because the role its intended to fill is less likely than the role of the HD shotgun. A better solution to the question of light discipline out of doors would be a light with a disable switch and to train yourself to disable your light when going outside.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Andrew, a good point. Back in the day, we went for an intermittent flash. Present, flash, shoot, flash off, move. More modern techniques may be better, whatever they are.

drivenrhythm

recoil

I had once subscribed to the notion that the best HD/CD choice was my 870, with enough personal defense rounds to make a solid impression on any BG. Where I ran into difficulty was handling recoil. My age probably plays a part, and my bones ache a little, but I have since opted for milder ways to handle personal defense and sold my 870.

Anyone trying to break into my home will be met with a Kimber 1911 double tap hell-o. If trapped in a situation in my truck, my Kahr MK9 will do just fine, thank you. Thanks in part to my involvement with IDPA, I handle them both well, am damned accurate from across the room or across the pistol range, and it is my contention that, as defense goes, the best tool for the job is the one you handle with the greatest ease, especially in the heat of conflict.

Having said that, if I find an autoloading shotgun that is reliable and easier on the bones to shoot......................

Molon Labe..."Come and get them!"

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Any reasonably proficient handgunner is well equipped for HD with something like that Kimber, Driven.

But,outside the house, the range considerations pretty much demand a long arm.

If shotguns aren't good for you, and it sounds like it, a carbine or rifle makes a lot of sense.

The old M-1 carbine, with soft point ammo, makes a great CD style carbine. Not the only choice, but a good one of many.

So's one of the lever actions, like the Marlin in 357.

HTH....

drivenrhythm

Soft shooting shotguns??

Dave,
Thanks for the input. I do have a few choices in rifles close at hand. What I failed to convey is the fact that I really would like to find a shotgun that won't beat me up when I need it most. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Mannlicher

Driven,
I almost hesitate to offer advice on the subject of scatterguns, when there are folks here with a LOT more knowledge. However, when my Dad reached the point where his old Ithica 12 riot gun was a wee bit much for him to play with, we got him a Remington 1100, and tweaked it. He found the auto much softer shooting, and with a good Pachmyer recoil pad, and 2 3/4 loads, he had a gun he could shoot right up to the end.

Jody Hudson

I too, sadly, have severe back problems and spend most of my time here in bed as a result. Although the autos have some advantages they do not easily handle some of the specialty ammo -- such as flares.

I consider the flare rounds exceptional counter-terrorism rounds if I ever need to ward off a group of bad people.

To reduce recoil it is hard to beat the simple technique of increasing the weight of the gun. Thus, I'd go with the Mossberg 590 http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

#50665 590® 12 ga. Pump Action 9-shot capacity, parkerized finish, bead sight, 20" cylinder bore barrel with heat shield and Speed-Feed® stock

You could also go with a side-saddle shell carrier to add weight back near your shoulder where it will actually help ballance that slightly front-heavy characteristic that comes with the 9-shot magazine.

And, you still have the option of going with 20 gauge to reduce recoil if you wish.

drivenrhythm

20ga effective?

Is the 20ga an effective solution? I've seen an ample variety of shells for 12ga, but I've not given much thought to investigating what is available for the 20ga.