Marshall & Sanow: What to do with a book I wish I had not bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Courtney

Are folks here familiar with the work of Col. Frank T. Chamberlin, General Julian Hatcher and Major of Ordnance Jim Hatcher at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds shortly after the second world war? The U.S. Army Board of Ordnance set up a board composed of the above mentioned officers and others to test the effectiveness of rifle rounds on live animals as part of the militarys search for a replacement for the 30-06. For a period of several years the team shot several hundred hogs, goats and other animals. They recorded the results, X rayed the wounds, autopsied them, etc. They also recorded the condition of the animals before being shot. They recorded when they had fed and drank and shot them at specified intervals after doing so.

Among the findings they recorded was the existence of a phenomena that they had each seen before on human GSW victims during the war (of which Chamberlin and the others had a good deal of experience), they had no particular name for it put avowed as many referred to it as "hydro static shock". The point was that in some cases a high velocity rifle round caused trauma and shock far removed from the actual bullet hole.

They also noted that this varied on where the animal was shot and how soon after eating it was shot. It also varied on how well hydrated the animal was.
They had no doubt that it was a contributing factor in death and injury. It also got to where they could predict it's effects to a certain extent. But never entirely and only within the parameters of how they were conducting their tests.

At any rate in the 1960s P.O. Ackley asked Chamberlin to write up a summary of some of his conclusion on gunshot wounds based on his extensive experience with the same. Chamberlin did this and the resulting informative essay can be found in Vol. II of Ackley's "Handbook for Shooter's and Reloaders" interesting and informative reading.

We were aware of the work, but only from secondary sources, and we mention it with reference to a secondary source on page 7 of the "Review . . . " paper. We are grateful that you have pointed us to the primary source. However, the book is out of print and finding it is non-trivial. Does anyone have any leads on where we could get a copy?

Thanks,

Michael Courtney

Fremmer

What should I do with this book?

Burn it. It'll be fun, pretty flames, you'll protect morality, and it'll take a lot less time than you just spent reading the 4 prior pages of responses.

:D:p

Doggieman

seeing is believing

ah, the anonymity of the internet makes everyone an expert.

The reason I, and many others, believe Fackler is because his disregards the stuff that he can't see and measure.

Pressure waves/hydrostatic shock/internal cavity fluid dynamics/whatever... let's see it work. Even a computer model would be helpful. Even a big bag filled with red food coloring. Let's see it.

Freetacos

I think watching actual shootings could help one in getting at least some perspective on what shootings are really like. They are very chaotic and things happen in nanoseconds. There are plenty of security cam videos out there that will put gunfights in a sober light.

tipoc

Chamberlin's and Hatcher's original reports were written up for the U.S. Army and are likely on file there. How one would find them I'm not sure. Ackley's book (in which Chamberlin summarizes his work for the army and afterwards) is available on the used books market. Possibly through Amazon or Abebooks.

Chamberlin's essay is about 20 pages and if someone is interested contact me through private message and I'll send off a copy to you for the cost of postage and what it costs me to copy them. If folks are truly interested I'll try takeing a pic of the pages and send those off in an email, this latter may not work though. It's interesting reading and worthwhile and written for the layman.

As for re-inventing the wheel, the wheel was never lost. Chamberlin and the Hatcher's called what they observed "explosive effects" but they were well aware of various theories floating about to explain what they saw, replicated and documented. For years the subject has been the topic of debate. It's been called by a number of names. To quote Chamberlin from 1966 "...theories, like other things, get bigger and bigger. Today, they have a hundred or more...Any jackass and his aunt can advance a new theory and who is to say he is right or wrong." Hydro-static shock, pressure waves, explosive effects etc. It has never stopped being discussed.

tipoc

Rimrod

Dr. Courtney asked;

How many times have you left significant income sitting on the table because an editor was changing your words?

The answer to this is very simple, never. Because I have never claimed to be a gun expert and write for a gun magazine or a book.

If, however, the question was changed to "how many times have you left significant income sitting on the table because an employer was trying to damage your reputation or credibility, or your ethical, legal or moral standards, or your self respect and dignity? The answer would be "four".

Because I found that as long as I preserve these traits I could easily find another source of "significant income". But if I let these traits be defiled by their unscrupulous behavior, I may never be able to find another source of an even moderate income.

JohnKSa

Administrator
...ou seem to find it expedient to crap on the shoulders of giants. Shame on you, Dr. Courtney.
This from the person who entered the thread by posting M&S' book title on a roll of toilet paper?
Virtually all that you are writing here in these papers is a reaction to/derivative of his work...
Wouldn't you agree that Fackler's writings are a (perhaps THE) major work in this field? I think it would be far more surprising to find that Fackler WASN'T frequently mentioned.

This thread is becoming a severe disappointment. It seems that the focus for some is not so much the discussion of terminal ballistics but rather an attempt to drive off someone with a dissenting opinion.

Socrates

JR47: Well written, sir.

Usually an old theory comes a float due to an advance in either our ability to observe it, better observational tools, cheap high speed cameras, etc. , or, a repeat, or new development, of an old situation. The only solid, constructive ideas I've scene out of this discussion are the 4" initial penetration before expansion, and, bullets designed to fragment, to increase ballistic shock. XTP's seem to follow something along these lines in part, as do Barnes X Rifle bullets.
However, they get the best of both worlds, using near maximum weight for caliber, having the petals come off, and, having the core continue through, sans petals, as a cylinder to accomplish what Fackler would like, straight penetration through vital organs. G and S custom bullets in South Africa has done extensive ballistic work with bullets similarly designed, and, they are monometal bullets, turned by CNC machine. A number of other small companies have experimented, with good results in rifle bullets, with the same design.

The real problem is using such bullets in pistols would be costly, VERY costly. Our government also makes the production of monometal hand turned bullets more costly, since they consider them 'armour piercing' and require another metal be used. So, the end result is you take the
arse end, drill it, fill it with lead, and that somehow makes it less armour piercing? Anyway, the end result is a very expensive bullet to produce.

The major problem I see with this approach to bullet production is cost, and, the lack of case capacity to propel a large enough, or heavy enough projectile, at sufficient speed, to give both the shock effect, and, penetrate sufficiently to strike vital organs. A quick look through the
FBI penetration gello tests illustrates that as the bullets become heavy enough to penetrate to 18", the bullet velocities are considerably lower then the lighter bullets. The light bullets, as a general rule, don't have sufficient weight to maintain penetration after expansion.

Lee Jurras, long ago, designed a very thick jacketed 44 magnum bullet that would go 1900 fps out of a service handgun. When it struck bone, or substantial resistance, it MIGHT open up. Otherwise, the velocity was high enough to insure penetration through most targets. Also, the impact, even without the petal design, was enough to turn varmits to red mist, surely showing the existence of ballistic shock, at least on varmit size criters.

Now, I see no reason, other then expense, that a similar core couldn't integrate petals designed to fall off at that speed, yet have the core still penetrate. The real problem in design is even with a very thin jacket, and pure lead, bonded core, 1200 fps is recommended for consistent expansion. Looking at the current service offerings, I don't see anything that could push a bullet heavy enough to give
adequate penetration with such a designed bullet. 10MM is approaching it, but, with 180-200 grain bullets velocity gets down around 1000 fps, and, most expanding bullets don't give adequate penetration at that velocity, unless they weigh considerably more. 45 Super, or 45 SMC get close, but really, the 460 Rowland would be the one I would think might actually work, with a 230 grain bullet.

I'm sure you could design such a bullet for the magnum revolvers, but, again, the cost so far, would be prohibitive. Look how expensive the expanding Barnes pistol bullets are, aren't they like a dollar each?

Now that producing such a bullet is addressed, the real question is, what advantage would such a bullet design offer, for LEO's, in real shootings? They are, after all, the target market for such a round. Is the effect enough to
enlarge the effective target area enough to justify the cost?
First, what caliber are you going to use for such bullets? Second, given that caliber's limitations, is the bullet design going to enlarge the target area? Is the effect going to occur at all, unless in very rare instances?
At what level projectile speed, and caliber, do you have to have before the shock effect occurs enough to be considered a valid consideration at all? None of these questions have been addressed.

JR47: many of your questions were the result of skim reading my posts, and crossing facts. I'll address the ones I think are valid. The problem with current data is none of it is really any good for this discussion. The number of variables in real shootings are so constant, that they pretty much define random. The variables are so great that any constructive data collection is nearly impossible.
For over 30 years, guys I've known have come up with ideas, based on the Elmer Keith's and the Bill Jordan's, and, they tried their ideas on game, and some on people.
From this 'anecdotal' information has come the development of cartridges, loads, etc. that are present in the industry today. You don't have to look far for the real experts, they are the guys that designed both the calibers, and the guns that fire them. Most have a mentor, a JD Jones, Lee Jurras, Gil Van Horn, that have forgot more then most will ever know about the development of these calibers, and, their use on game and people.

You glossed over my post about the legal liability of the situation. S&M did NOT present substantially false information about the service caliber weapons, and loads they were promoting. I carry a .357, and, while not a 475, or 500 Linebaugh, it has proven very successful in human shootings. I don't doubt that S&M data is not THAT far off concerning their pets. Maybe 5-10% exaggeration, but, none the less, as Mr. Jurras has said, and, he designed and developed the idea, it does work. I can take that to the bank.
What S&M did do was defame the larger calibers, 45 ACP ball, 44 magnum, 41 magnum, etc. As Dr. Courtney notes, and tries to explain away, the numbers are unusually low, and, this is in particular distressing for him, since these are the actual calibers capable of creating the ballistic pressure wounds he's talking about. Even a 135 grain Glasser bullet, at 1900 fps out of a 44 magnum was sufficient to blow a bad guys head pretty much clean off, in a DA shooting in Arizona.

If you go to Marshall's website, and read his comments, it becomes very clear what he believes, and, many tactical shooters agree. Ironically, they don't believe in 'one shot stops' at all, but, they require a weapon that allows them to repeatedly hit their target, quickly, to make up for the lack of shock effect present in the service handgun calibers. The .41 Magnum was Bill Jordan and Elmer Keiths' improvement of the .357 for such shooting, but, it lacked platforms, and nearly died. It's now being reborn, nearly, in the 10mm, and, the .357 Sig is a very pointed effort to develop a service handgun that can fire the 125 grain HP .357 bullet at speeds of the .357 magnum, read 1350-1600 fps. Perhaps, with proper bullet design, we could have a Barnes X type bullet in a 125 grain .357, that would be shootable out of the .357 Sig. Or, maybe, a lighter, like 155 grain bullet in the 10MM might recoil lightly enough for quick second shots.

However, getting such bullets produced here is problematic. Gerard, owner of G&S can punch up pretty much anything on his CNC machine, and, he's a master of the breaking off petal design. However, importing the bullets to the US would be a nightmare.

Barnes has the ability to do it, but, they also have self-intrest in selling their Barnes Pistol bullets with petals that don't come off, at a dollar each, and, currently a monopoly on monometal legal bullets in the United States, resulting in VERY high pricing, and, I'm sure, profits.

Finally, finding a LEO agency willing to carry such loads, and be the test guys, would require the department to invest a lot of money, and, the ammunition would be very expensive as well. In other words, developing data on the effectiveness of such a bullet would require an LEO agency to actually use them in shootings. Since you should shoot
what you use for real, it's going to be a hard sell at a buck each for bullets to any LEO. The developing company would have to be willing to bite the bullet on profit to get the rounds accepted by the public.

Also, without buying new guns, could the fragmenting pistol bullets be developed to actually work in the existing service calibers?

While sitting here it just came to mind Speers 168 grain Match grade hollow point, with perhaps a hard enough core not to deform, and, some sort of insert that forced the petals to break off, and then fragmented might work, and, not be hugely expensive to produce.

Dr. S

JohnKSa: I believe in a situation with so many variables, and, a built in social more that dictates experiments in the lab are NOT going to be done on humans, that observation, and, the use of the scientific method provides better data then an attempt to take other animals, and use them as 'test beds', trying to draw from those observations, and apply them to how humans react when shot. Also, the very nature of the diversity of the human race makes conclusions difficult to draw. The only time that really provides excellent ballistic research for work on humans is war, and, thanks to the bullet rules by the Hague convention, what we hope to use in our country then only relates to solid bullets.

Fackler's 223 soft point gello tests certainly supports Dr. C's theory.

Socrates

It's Jack Huntington by the way. Jack's pretty much a ballistic genius, combined with avid hunting, and, is well grounded in the community, and well respected. It's his theory that bullet surface area creates nerve trauma, and, dynamic shock, even at low velocities, provided the surface area of the bullet is sufficient, read very large. When you combine a large, slow moving object, with long dwell time, large caliber, that does not diminish much in speed as it goes through living tissue, you end up with the same effect Dr. Courtney says exists, but, created in a different way. The longer dwell time and large surface area create hydrodynamic waves, along with being able to stimulate nerves in a more noticeable way, as it goes through. Think the difference between the nurse that jabs the needle in quickly, and, the one that pushes it slowly, painfully into your tail.

Dr. S

PS for Doggieman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

2004_Indonesia_Tsunami_Complete.gif

This quake certainly supports Dr. C's theory: 3 plates moving, though I don't think they broke off. Krakatoa, or Mt. St. Helen's better example for that..anyway, with a long duration for earthquakes, 100 seconds. Certainly the most effective one shot stop in our recorded history...

BlueTrain

I was not introduced to Dr. Fackler but I was present once when he was photographing some handguns for illustrations for some of his magazine articles. That hardly qualifies me to say anything in particular but I might mention that it is interesting that many writers of the past (such as Keith and Skelton) and present all had their own viewpoints because they all had their own experiences to draw upon and they all had their own situations to apply that knowledge and experience. Their situations were all different. Because of that, I would be a little hesitant to apply, say, what Keith had learned in shooting wild animals in Idaho to gunfighting in New York--or Iraq. Something that sets Dr. Fackler apart from most of the rest, I think, is his interest or willingness to broadly apply his findings to general handgun usage, as opposed to just law enforcement usage. It appears that Marshall and Sanow are chiefly interested in law enforcement.

Personally, most of this is over my head and sounds like a lot of hair splitting. None of these people are worlds apart anyway and nobody has ever recommended carrying a .32 auto because a couple rounds have performed better than expected. And none have recommended carrying a handgun that comes with a sling, even if you would should polar bears with it. I think Fackler's suggestions are a little more useful because they could be applied to a broad range of situations faced by outdoorsmen (when did you last hear anyone called an outdoorsman?), rather than just a policeman.

It's funny, you know, how we are in awe of certain handgun calibers because they are supposedly capable of such wonders. For instance, the 7.63 Mauser and Tokarev, especially the Czech loading, is reportedly capable of piercing a bullet proof vest. Yet the .30 carbine is at least 30% more powerful but everyone thinks it is the worst possible combat load ever creation, at least until the 5.56 came along. And the .30 carbine also should be more powerful than any 9mm fired in a submachine gun as well. Now it's just old-fashioned. I don't know. Perhaps the old-timers were right when they thought a 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps was about right. After all, Keith thought the .357 magnum was good for people with weak hands.

tipoc

On the original question...give the book away, donate it to a local library or sell it.

Personal attacks on what may or may not have motivated M&S or Fackler are beside the point. Do these attacks help anyone new to the issues understand the questions better? Or do they fog up the issues? I tend to think the latter and that is often the whole point of them. Earlier on a new poster here asked what M&S had to say and what was wrong with it. A good question. It's been taken up a thousand times on this and other forums though and a fella could use the search function and find out for themselves. In reading this thread no one would get an answer to that question though.

The movement of tectonic plates, earthquakes, etc. are analogies. They may help someone get an image in their mind of what is happening with a "pressure wave" but they are a different phenomena altogether and will function differently.

tipoc

JR47

Socrates, my question as to who these "experts were" was in reference to the quote by nyati, and was specific to his writing. The same with the ballasticians, and the same with the choices of caliber. None of this, nor the legal liability, was directed at you, sir.

Fackler, and his syncophants, came into prominence only after M&S. He was initially scathing in his comments, and the battle lines were drawn. That Fackler used the existing scientific abilities to quantify what he explained as "how" things occurred, and virtually ignored anything that was present that didn't fit his model, made great sense at the time, but hardly great science. Today's instrumentation allows for a greater measurement of phenomena that were only glimpsed nearly twenty years ago, and are showing BOTH groups to be right, and wrong.

M&S utilized data gathered from LEO reports because they were the only readily available reports at the time which provided after-action information. They also provided a review by the day's forensic people because of the Officer-involved aspect. Other than LEO and military, that standard exists nowhere else in todays world.

While we worry and argue endlessly about "circumstances" and "varables" in real-life scenarios, science is busily discovering that perfect repeatability is unachievable, nor necessary, for gross data reliability. Had we supported M&S work, and pushed for continuing data gathering, the additional information would have allowed for a refinement of conclusions/ data points.

So much of the information made available has been corrupted over the years. "One-Shot Stops", "Stopping Power", and so on are actually derided in the original Books Second Chapter. Guess we missed that one. The criteria for the data is also clearly explained, and the conclusions carefully couched in explanations. Instead of actually becoming conversant with the work, too many advocates of Gelatin seized on buzz-words, many of which were never uttered, and catch-phrases, and knowingly corrupted the information.

I truly think that BOTH sides eventually solidified their viewpoints, where they collided with the other, into dogma. More's the pity.

For the science type, Mr. and Mrs. "I need proof, or it's not true", I'd remind you that the Earth was flat for centuries, according to science. The Earth was also the center of the Solar System, according to science. As science progressed, it proved itself wrong.

For the Faith-based group, most "it's got to be there type science," while perhaps correct, based on anecdotal observation, is really not a matter of "faith." Too many times, our observations are faulty, and egged on by a desire , and not a reality.

It's a shame that research from nearly 30 years ago is still the cause of so many of us suspending reality in favor of ancient conclusions.

What the Drs. Courtney have done is introduce fresh, and not so fresh, data into the light of current scientific capabilities. That the conclusions drawn are obviously painful to the dogmatist is merely proof that, while science may change, much of humanity can't.

Instead of viewing the data and summaries against the conclusions drawn by less capable science, look at it in the light of the 21st Century. We know more now than we did in the twenty years closing the twentieth century. The last time that humanity decided that dogma was better than research was the Dark Ages.:)

tipoc

I won't bore myself or anyone else with a rehash of the M&S-Fackler debate. That one was settled awhile back. M&S backed off some of their initial conclusions regarding the One Shot Stop and so have most of their advocates. Evan some of their staunchest advocates now days more often refer to the quantifying statements in M&S's earlier work than to their conclusions regarding one shot stops.

While folks have known of "Hydraulic Shock" or "Pressures Waves" for quite some time, no one in particular has studied it per se as a phenomena. This is because of the many difficulties of replicating it. This is where Courtney's work may be of value.

Knowing more about it is not a replacement for well placed shots with a caliber matched to the task. What it can do though is lead to better bullet design and more knowledge of human and animal response to shock and exactly what mechanisms are involved. This is turn can help in the treatment of wounds of various types, including the type often seen in Iraq today.

There is nothing magical or mysterious about pressure waves only a good deal not known about how and why they affect the bodys of mammels the way they often do.

tipoc

P.S.

"Science" never did think that the earth was flat. It was a Greek mathamatician living in Egypt IIRC who first proved the earth was round a few centuries before Columbus. The information was deemed too subversive for the masses though, so down the line the Feudal nobility and their church kept that bit of information from our ancesters and tended to view science as something subversive. Which of course it was and is.

Charles S

"Science" never did think that the earth was flat. It was a Greek mathamatician living in Egypt IIRC who first proved the earth was round a few centuries before Columbus.

Earth's circumference was first accurately measured more than 2,000 years ago by the Greek astronomer Eratosthenes, who at the time lived in the Egyptian city of Alexandria. He had heard that in the nearby town of Syene midday sunlight shines straight down to the bottom of deep wells on the same day each year, indicating that the Sun was directly overhead in Syene. In Alexandria, however, sunlight on that date never reached the bottoms of wells, but instead fell upon the sides.

Eratosthenes reasoned that the difference in the angle of incoming sunlight was due to the curvature of Earth's surface, and so by measuring this angle, he related the distance between Alexandria and Syene to the total dimension of the globe.

On the day the Sun shone on the bottom of the wells in Syene, Eratosthenes measured the Sun's position in the sky over Alexandria. It was seven degrees away from the zenith, meaning Syene must be seven degrees away from Alexandria as measured on the circle that is Earth's circumference. Because seven degrees is about one 50th of a full circle (360 degrees), Eratosthenes simply multiplied the distance from Alexandria to Syene -- believed to have been about 515 miles (830 km) -- by 50. He calculated Earth's circumference at 26,000 miles (42,000 km), only five percent away from the modern accepted value of 24,901 miles (40,074 km).

http://stardate.org/resources/faqs/faq.php?id=6

Rimrod

This thread is becoming a severe disappointment. It seems that the focus for some is not so much the discussion of terminal ballistics but rather an attempt to drive off someone with a dissenting opinion.

I thought the topic was the value of Marshall and Sanows book.

Putting that aside I have nothing against Dr. Courtneys work. I put the calibers listed in his report "Relative incapacitation contributions of pressure wave and wound channel in the Marshall and Sanow data set" using both his and M/Ss findings. While some of the rounds were about equal, as he said, some weren't even close.

I don't know if he is right or not, but I do think he is showing us where Marshall and Sanow manipulated their data. Their book appears to put the most popular rounds in the front.

I had typed a whole lot more but I keep getting logged out and losing everthing, so this is all I'm repeating.:mad:

I'm going to hold on to Dr. Courtneys work, well, some of it anyway. And I still say trash Marshall and Sanows book.

Rod

JR47

You are using hindsight to make these observations. That's something that Marshall & Sanow lacked. It's WAY to easy to ascribe such notions as the lay-out of a book, and the memories of what was said, and by whom, twenty years ago, after the fact.

I've read, and re-read, the history and papers on BOTH sides of the subject. During the many years of this debate, BOTH sides, and not both authors, have made statements purported to represent findings by their respective principals that simply do not exist.

This has become a religious debate, with HOLY DOGMA on both sides not to be disputed by anything as trivial as the truth. tipoc and rimrod, you guys are happy to point out that Dr. Courney's work is different than M&S in some areas. It also shows Fackler's ideas to be as primitive as theirs, as well.

I'd suggest that we let the Drs. Courtney continue their work with our blessing and enthusiasm for the scientific understanding of wound mechanism. It will help us to understand what actually occurs, and to design better munitions. It will also help the medical community understand and treat such wounds.

Unless you have a better understanding of the work involved, and scientific proof of error, you really have no standing to pass judgement.

Rimrod

tipoc and rimrod, you guys are happy to point out that Dr. Courney's work is different than M&S in some areas. It also shows Fackler's ideas to be as primitive as theirs, as well.

Well JR47, I don't know if I was happy, I would say just a little excited. Because Dr. Courtney was agreeing with them on the pressure wave concept, yet came out with different overall results.

Like I said, I don't know if Dr. Courtney is right, or if Dr. Fackler is right. They may both be right and they both may be wrong. But the important thing is if we have two people who are QUALIFIED to do the research and testing we might actually get some qualified results. As long as they keep working at it, that is what science is all about. If there is no objections to a persons work he may just quit looking thinking he found the truth.

Marshall and Sanow was in it for the money, they wanted to sell magazines because that was their job. When I asked Dr. Courtney earlier if he would change his opinions if all the gun writers changed theirs, he said no. In fact he might have been a little offended.:rolleyes: But that was the difference between him and the others. There is a difference between doing research to find the facts and doing research to prove what you want the facts to be.

Rod
Now let's see if I'm still logged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.