Marshall & Sanow: What to do with a book I wish I had not bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM12

Actually, what are the problems with the book? I read some of their articles in gun rags in the 70s and 80s, sounded good at the time. What flaws have they published? Seemed to me just pretty good cops trying to find out what works (firearms wise) and what dosent, as opposed to just theory. This after a DOJ publication that stated the 9mm (in some exotic loading, perhaps) had more relative incapacitation that the .44mag.

Summations, please, for my edification.

(I'd still like to read it, btw. I'll pay the shipping, just let me know.)

BobK

Everyone is a freakin expert on this subject that they can bash those who have tried to shed some light on stopping power and the use of force. Ninety nine percent of the people on this forum have never been involved in a shooting. It's a shame that some of them think they know more than those that have.

Send the book to me. I'll add it to my collection.

Evan Marshall is a hard man. But he is for a reason. He is also honest and respectful of others. Those of you who bash him don't know squat. You don't even come close to the lifetime of knowledge and experience that Marshall has. You don't even have the balls or common decency to go over to his forum and ask him for yourselves.

Through his books and forum, Marshall has tried to help others prepare them selves for something that most of us hope never happens. What have YOU done? Nothing but criticize thats what. Criticize something you know nothing about. Thats what you have done.

I suggest you know-it-alls step away from your computers and take a long hard look in the mirror.

JTMcC

JR47 said:

"The last time you had something published by a major House (and yes, he capitalized House!) was?"

My reply is this, I've had several increadable works published by Major Houses (see, I capitolized BOTH Major, AND House!)
My latest and greatest is "Earth in the Ballance". Don't forget "Assult on Reason". Great and profound works all!

Published by A MAJOR House.

I am of course, yours,
AlGore.

Rev Dr

Anybody got an ending couplet, I'll buy it off you....

The Negotiation

Though I enjoy shooting my guns at books,
my neighbors “shoot” me dirty looks.
They hate the BOOM! They hate my whooping.
They spoke to me once. (Now they’re regrouping.)
How do I explain the joy my shooting brings me?
(Well, it’s like Chopin, he too zings me!):

“Consoling as chocolate, improving as prayer.
Admittedly not a hobby for people everywhere,
the practice of blowing books into confetti
is as innocent as the custom of eating spaghetti.
Not only can silence return unharmed when I’m done,
I’m human—what’s holier than human fun?”

And yet, I know, my neighbors are human too, and inconvenienced and afraid.
Recently, they’ve had to hire a new gardener plus a new maid.
And, as always, there are more of them than me,
and shouldn’t (often) the tough decision benefit the majority?
Besides, they’ve children and need to feel parental.
(If their kids were mine, I’d be a little mental!)

One can generally give way with more grace—
but they need to understand this isn’t (just) about saving face.
I want my love of shooting books respected!
I want certain times of certain days protected
and set aside for my responding to selected authors
(with whom, honestly, hardly anybody else bothers).

And I don’t care what arguments I have to use.
I don’t want to mention: they’ve far more than I to lose.
I’d rather not talk about inflammable houses,
since that would get the cops involved yowzes….

Dr. Courtney

Hold on to it. There is a study undergoing peer-review by a Doctor Micheal Courtney and his wife, another doctor, that has found the data in the M&S tests to be more useful than thought.

It would appear that Dr. Fackler was just as blind to some aspects of wounding as M&S. From the general information given for the study, neither was operating off of a fully-integrated information base.

Fackler's studies were also based on technologies of decades past, and new instrumentation and understanding of this instrumentation reveal that M&S were, in many cases, closer to the truth than the jello-junkies would have liked to believe.

Some of our work on the pressure wave theory has completed the peer review process and been accepted for publication in an appropriate medical journal. We'll have a reference at our web site, www.ballisticstestinggroup.org once it appears in print.

The aspects of our work most relevant to the Marshall and Sanow study are already available at the arxiv e-print server. You can read them for yourself and weigh the relevance:

Review of criticisms of ballistic pressure wave experiments, the Strasbourg goat tests, and the Marshall and Sanow data
Authors: Michael Courtney, Amy Courtney
Subj-class: Medical Physics

This article reviews published criticisms of several ballistic pressure wave experiments authored by Suneson et al., the Marshall and Sanow "one shot stop" data set, and the Strasbourg goat tests. These published criticisms contain numerous logical and rhetorical fallacies, are generally exaggerated, and fail to convincingly support the overly broad conclusions they contain.

link: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0701268

Ballistic pressure wave contributions to rapid incapacitation in the Strasbourg goat tests

This article presents empirical models for the relationship between peak ballistic pressure wave magnitude and incapacitation times in the Strasbourg goat test data. Using a model with the expected limiting behavior at large and small pressure wave magnitudes, the average incapacitation times are highly correlated (R = 0.91) with peak pressure wave magnitude. The cumulative incapacitation probability as a function of time reveals both fast (less than 5 s) and slow (greater than 5 s) incapacitation mechanisms. The fast incapacitation mechanism can be accurately modeled as a function of peak pressure wave magnitude. The slow incapacitation mechanism is presumably due to blood loss via damaged vascular tissue.

link: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0701267

Relative incapacitation contributions of pressure wave and wound channel in the Marshall and Sanow data set

The Marshall and Sanow data set is the largest and most comprehensive data set available quantifying handgun bullet effectiveness in humans. This article presents an empirical model for relative incapacitation probability in humans hit in the thoracic cavity by handgun bullets. The model is constructed by employing the hypothesis that the wound channel and ballistic pressure wave effects each have an associated independent probability of incapacitation. Combining models for these two independent probabilities using the elementary rules of probability and performing a least-squares fit to the Marshall and Sanow data provides an empirical model with only two adjustable parameters for modeling bullet effectiveness with a standard error of 5.6% and a correlation coefficient R = 0.939. This supports the hypothesis that wound channel and pressure wave effects are independent (within the experimental error), and it also allows assignment of the relative contribution of each effect for a given handgun load. This model also gives the expected limiting behavior in the cases of very small and very large variables (wound channel and pressure wave), as well as for incapacitation by rifle and shotgun projectiles.

link: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0701266

A method for testing handgun bullets in deer
Subj-class: Medical Physics; General Physics

Using service handguns to test bullets in deer is problematic because of velocity loss with range and accuracy giving sub-optimal shot placement. An alternate method is presented using a scoped muzzleloader shooting saboted handgun bullets to allow precise (within 2" in many cases) shot placement for studying terminal ballistics in a living target. Deer are baited to a known range and path obstructions are used to place the deer broadside to the shooter. Muzzleloading powder charges provide a combination of muzzle velocity and velocity loss due to air resistance for a given ballistic coefficient that produce impact velocities corresponding to typical pistol velocities. With readily available sabots, this approach allows for testing of terminal ballistics of .355, .357, .40, .429, .45, and .458 caliber bullets with two muzzleloaders (.45 and .50 caliber). Examples are described demonstrating the usefulness of testing handgun bullets in deer for acoustic shooting event reconstruction, understanding tissue damage effects, and comparing relative incapacitation of different loads.

link: http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0702107

To date, the peer review of these papers has caught a couple of editing errors, but otherwise been mostly positive. Other than the usual barbs about using the Strasbourg or Marshall and Sanow data sets, there has been little critical objection to our work. And intrestingly enough, no one has yet pointed out any flaws at all in our "Review of exaggerated criticisms . . ." paper beyond the overall opinion that perhaps we were too easy on M&S.

We tried hard to write these papers, and especially the "Review of exaggerated criticisms . . ." paper in a way to be accessible to a more general audience. Even the more technical material in the other papers seldom goes beyond content that you get in many freshman and sophomore college science and math courses.

Michael Courtney

Dr. Courtney

Just what's Dr. Courtney, and his wife, a doctor of?

Fackler is a medical doctor who headed the Army's wound ballistics research program for a number of years.

Michael Courtney earned a PhD in experimental Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has served as the Director of the Forensic Science Program at Western Carolina University as well as a Physics Professor, teaching college level Physics, Statistics, and Forensic Science. He has extensive experience in analysis of complex systems, instrumentation and measurement, and data analysis. Michael founded the Ballistics Testing Group in 2001 to study incapacitation ballistics and the reconstruction of shooting events.

Amy Courtney earned a MS in Biomedical Engineering from Harvard and a PhD in Medical Engineering and Medical Physics from a joint Harvard/MIT program. She has served a research scientist for Reebok, Inc., Western Carolina University and the Cleveland Clinic, as well as on the Biomedical Engineering faculty of Ohio State University. Her area of specialty is the failure of visco-elastic biological tissues under applied force, pressure, and strain. Her strengths are experimental design, statistical analysis, and measurement instrumentation. She has been a member of the Ballistics Testing Group since it was founded in 2001.

It is a somewhat naive view of science to accept a position because of credentials. A person's credentials mean little more than perhaps a viewpoint is worthy of careful consideration, it is my no means a generally accepted criteria to accept the correctness of a scientific assertion.

Scientific assertions are ultimately supported or refuted by repeatable experiments, and scientific history has many, many examples of highly-esteemed scientists holding to ideas later proved to be wrong by repeatable experiments. We encourage interested parties to read our work and consider the totality of experimental support for the pressure wave hypothesis that has appeared in the scientific literature.

Michael Courtney

Socrates

Bobk:
I have registered on stoppingpower, and, I asked what the effects of a 45 caliber, 230 grain HP, at 1800 fps would be as a self-defense round? Or, a 200 grain bullet, like the speer flying ashtray? I have, for a very long time, loaded such ammunition, and used it in my 45 Linebaugh/Seville, made in about 1982. I am a long time shooter of big bore handguns, and, I intended no disrespect. Also asked if the 45 ACP was such a good stopper, at least observed by our military, at 800 fps, what would that same bullet do at 1800 fps? Questions never answered, and, I was quickly banned from the site.

My Linebaugh was often loaded with a full case of H110, and, a super hard cast 230 grain cast bullet. Those were the specs, and, I was asking what the results had been on gello, etc?

The issue of hydrodynamic shock does come close to coming into play, on medium to large humans, with such velocities out of a handgun.

I've looked high and low for 44 magnum, or heavy 45 shootings, and, I could only find one, with a glasser safety slug, that worked very well on it's target. I also have another person that has extensive knowledge of nearly 100 police shootings, using the 45LC, and, their results have been excellent, using 200-225 grain Winchester Silvertips.

I also had discussions with the folks at Detonics, and, many police officers, using their guns, had had excellent results using the Speer flying ashtrays, 200 grains, at 1200 fps, and, they had the pictures to prove it.

Hawk bullets also has said that their fairly heavy thin jacketed, soft lead core bullets at 1200 fps, or more, have worked very effectively on game.

I also converse with Lee Jurras, the originator of the fast light HP, owner/originator of Hi-Vel, and, a Hall of Fame member. Mr. Jurras, needless to say, has access to a ton of feedback from actual shootings, using his Hi-Vel 357 ammunition. Yes, it works, but, Mr. Jurras is under no delusion that the light fast is the only solution for Self-Defense, and, his current favorite gun is a .475 Linebaugh. I might also add, that given a choice, in his younger years, he shot light and fast, but, in a 44 magnum, with bullets designed not to expand, or, depending upon target, to expand. In other words, use the proper hammer for the nail you are trying to hit.

For those of us used to shooting big bore guns, keeping a 45 Super, or 10mm on target is really easy. At defense ranges, a piece of cake. Just because the majority of folks can't shoot these guns accurately, and departments for political reasons, choose to go with lesser calibers, does not diminish the effectiveness of such calibers.

IIRC, Mr. Fackler once stated that the actual number of shootings in the United States was much smaller then the 'statistics' indicated, since nearly half were suicide. Most of the rest gang bangers, and, very few otherwise. So, you have a very small statistical sampling, and, of those relatively few shootings, nearly all are police. Therefore the relevant data is going to be on police calibers, and, that means the data compiled on police shootings might have some value.

The guys that designed the .357, Keith and Jordan, IIRC, were so happy with it they wanted everyone to move to the .41 Magnum, to try and correct the short comings of the .357. Sadly, S&W never chambered light, easy to shoot revolvers in that caliber, nor did Colt, killing the caliber, effectively.

Trying to find the best loading, inside the box, is not of much value, and, M&S seemed to be doing that, or, shilling for their friends/sponsors.

I'm not going to waste the time trying to determine what the motivation is, and, M&S data is pretty much out of date, making the entire issue a moot point.

The industry now has options, calibers, and firearms today that allow us to put to rest the entire discussion, provided you can shoot them.

Dr. S
Yes, I have a doctrate degree as well...

PPS
Dr. Courtney: Pleasure having you post here, and, I've enjoyed your writing. Keep up the good work...

CarbineCaleb

Dr. Courtney - some interesting reading. Scientific authors will often gratefully acknowledge funding sources in their manuscripts. Can you tell me who is funding this work?

I've only skimmed the papers for now, but the first paper seems essentially to be an attack on any critics of Marshall & Sanow? What is the publication rationale for this?

Again, I've only skimmed the papers for now, but do you have a physiological mechanism that you and your coauthor believe underlies your pressure wave hypothesis?

Finally, the last paper seems to advocate for Triton Quik Shok ammunition. Why are commercial brands really identified in this manner? What is the purpose of that?

Thank you for your response,
Caleb

SteelCore

Dr. Courtney,

That's some very interesting work you're doing.

I just skimmed over the part of the first paper you linked to dealing with Marshall and Sanow. This seemed to me like a particularly important point:

It has been suggested [ROW92, FAC97a] that any valid study of bullet effectiveness would have to precisely specify the anatomic structures impacted by the bullet. This assertion ignores the power of statistical approaches to quantify probabilistic outcomes given certain (even if broad) input information....

This makes a lot of sense. One might even conceive of a multi-dimensional "one-shot-stop probability distribution," where dimensions include coordinates and incidence angles of bullet entry into the torso. If all loads are equally probable of entering the torso at all points and angles, then the best loads should win out if enough data points are collected. One caveat here is that the distribution function will likely vary from load to load, but that still shouldn't change the ultimate conclusions regarding which loads are best.

You went on to point out:

Some loads included in the study have as few as 10 data points. Other loads have thousands. As long as the basic relationship between number of data points and accuracy of the OSS rating is considered in interpreting the results, this is not a problem. The M&S OSS data set grew to eventually include over 20,000 shooting events [MAS01].

This makes sense, too, but it raises a question that you may be able to shed some light on: What sort of sample sizes do we need to be "reasonably" confident in the accuracy of the data? I'm an engineer but have only modest knowledge of statistical analysis.

Another question that I'm not sure was addressed by M&S or the above paper is that of psychological effects that may contribute to one-shot-stops. Do you feel that it's possible that the M&S studies may be (necessarily) contaminated by such effects? Or would that also be "smoothed over" by the averaging over many data points?

Apologies in advance if these questions were addressed and I missed them.

BTW, I agree that the ad hominem attacks on M&S in the literature are out of line. I am somewhat new to this subject and didn't realize it was so emotional for some people.

Dr. Courtney

Dr. Courtney - some interesting reading. Scientific authors will often gratefully acknowledge funding sources in their manuscripts. Can you tell me who is funding this work?

In many cases (not always) where live animal research is conducted, the authors are under a non-disclosure agreement not to disclose funding sources because the source of funding is a bigger target for lawsuits if it is revealed. We can say that our research was not supported in any way by any ammunition company, gun magazine, or gun writer.

I've only skimmed the papers for now, but the first paper seems essentially to be an attack on any critics of Marshall & Sanow? What is the publication rationale for this?

Our overall purpose is to consider all the available data and evidence disproving or supporting the pressure wave hypothesis. Since the Suneson experiments, the Strasbourg data set, and the Marshall and Sanow data set are used in other papers to support the pressure wave hypothesis, we needed to show that we had carefully considered the published criticisms of these earlier works.

Again, I've only skimmed the papers for now, but do you have a physiological mechanism that you and your coauthor believe underlies your pressure wave hypothesis?

Once you read them carefully, you will see that there is considerable evidence (Suneson and Wang papers) for a remote pressure wave effect to the brain. However, increased wound channel/more rapid blood loss, remote effects to the spine, and the neurogenic shock suggested by Tobin's commentary on Gorannson's paper cannot be ruled out as contributing mechanisms.

Finally, the last paper seems to advocate for Triton Quik Shok ammunition. Why are commercial brands really identified in this manner? What is the purpose of that?

Experimental repeatability demands that the "make and model" of the ammunition be identified. Explicitly naming the make and model of ammunition under test is nearly universal in the reporting of terminal ballistics testing.

We picked the Triton Quik-Shok for our high-pressure wave test case for several reasons:

1) It creates a fairly large ballistic pressure wave.
2) It shoots accurately out of a muzzle loader. (Many other large pressure wave bullets do not.)
3) It seems to have a good balance of pressure wave and penetration depth.
4) Since Triton was out of business, our tests could not be misinterpreted as a bullet advertisement.
5) It allowed comparison between our deer tests and the Strasbourg goat tests.
6) It has a relatively high ballistic coefficient for a high pressure wave bullet giving less wind drift and less velocity loss in flight. This results in tighter groups and less velocity variation at 25 yards.

Michael Courtney

Rimrod

Thank you for the information Dr. Courtney, do you think it will be translated to English anytime soon?:eek:

Just kidding, I have a dictionary.

Dr. Courtney

Quote:
It has been suggested [ROW92, FAC97a] that any valid study of bullet effectiveness would have to precisely specify the anatomic structures impacted by the bullet. This assertion ignores the power of statistical approaches to quantify probabilistic outcomes given certain (even if broad) input information....
This makes a lot of sense. One might even conceive of a multi-dimensional "one-shot-stop probability distribution," where dimensions include coordinates and incidence angles of bullet entry into the torso. If all loads are equally probable of entering the torso at all points and angles, then the best loads should win out if enough data points are collected. One caveat here is that the distribution function will likely vary from load to load, but that still shouldn't change the ultimate conclusions regarding which loads are best.

Very astute observation.

Quote:
Some loads included in the study have as few as 10 data points. Other loads have thousands. As long as the basic relationship between number of data points and accuracy of the OSS rating is considered in interpreting the results, this is not a problem. The M&S OSS data set grew to eventually include over 20,000 shooting events [MAS01].

This makes sense, too, but it raises a question that you may be able to shed some light on: What sort of sample sizes do we need to be "reasonably" confident in the accuracy of the data? I'm an engineer but have only modest knowledge of statistical analysis.

If the data set were perfectly random, the statistical uncertainty would be 0.5/sqrt(N), where N is the number of data points. In other words, you'd have 5% uncertainty with 100 data points, 2.5% uncertainty with 400 data points, etc.

Another question that I'm not sure was addressed by M&S or the above paper is that of psychological effects that may contribute to one-shot-stops. Do you feel that it's possible that the M&S studies may be (necessarily) contaminated by such effects? Or would that also be "smoothed over" by the averaging over many data points?

We discuss several non-random factors which make the accuracy of the data set somewhat less than the theoretical best case discussed above. We conclude that for most loads the accuracy of the OSS rating as a measure of relative bullet effectiveness is probably within a factor of two of 0.5/sqrt(N), where N is the number of data points. In other words, you'd have 10% uncertainty with 100 data points, 5% uncertainty with 400 data points, etc.

This gives a pretty wide margin of error for many individual loads. However, this level of accuracy is sufficient for using regression analysis to test the pressure wave hypothesis using the large number data points in many loads combined. "Smoothing" isn't quite the right term for the power that regression analysis brings to a complex data set containing both random and non-random uncertainties, but the idea isn't far off.

We've got some ideas to model the psychological part of the picture, but we haven't moved forward with them yet.

Michael Courtney

pax

CarbineCaleb,

Please read the post immediately above your comment. Specifically, this part:

4) Since Triton was out of business, our tests could not be misinterpreted as a bullet advertisement.

pax

CarbineCaleb

CarbineCaleb,

Please read the post immediately above your comment. Specifically, this part:

Quote:

pax
Ok - done. We must have been posting at the same time. I had actually read that Triton was planning to reopen, btw... it just seems a very odd coincidence to me, but, I will ignore the red flags.

FM12

Still no reply on what these guys did that was considerd either wrong or inaccurate. What were som e specific examples of their articles being infomercials? I appaqrently came in late here, and would like to get up to speed.

I have a lot to learn here. I carry a handgun daily on duty and also off-duty. I need to know all I can about ammo. I have a good deal of input re: the purchase of weapons and ammo in our small department. My boss and his partner were in a shoot-out about 15 years ago. Due to the 9mm they carried being percieved as non effective in the shooting (A'la the FBI Miami shoot-out), we upgraded to the Sig 226 in .40 S&W. Maybe we can learn of an even better way to arm and equip ourselves. Thanks, FM12

Socrates

On the effectiveness of the .357:

"nyeti on 357 close range
Wanna know why 125 gr. JHP .357 mag works so well on people? Noise and Flash. Several years ago I was talking about this load with some of the foremost experts in ballistic testing (and they don't write articles in gun rags). These are folks who use real labs, and have excellent access to L/E shootings. Their initial findings were that 125 JHP .357 mag is an "above average" performing round in gelatim testing, but nothing like its reputation. They began looking at L/E street shootings with the round and found an interesting set of similar circumstances existed during shootings with dramatic success. The shootings took place at night, at less than 6 FEET, with barrels 4" or less...................anybody want to raise their hand who wants to be in front of that. 125 gr. .357 mag's will throw a 15 yard ball of flame down range. Can you imagine what its like at 6 feet or less. The conclusion was that the blast and noise was a significant factor in making this round very successful in shooting people at very close range.
nyeti
I carried a Ruger SP101 for many years as a counter carjacking gun and a back up. My load of choice was the 180 gr. Winchester Black Talons which I understand is normally a Javelina hunting load. Many of the 145-158 gr. JHP's are excellent as well. All of them tend to be blasty out of the snubs.

During many disussions with true experts, the agreement was that typical human beings do not react well to having a grenade going off in their face. At these close ranges, that big blast going off will generally cause most folks to hit the ground out of normal reaction (similar to what we see when deploying flash bang grenades during SWAT operations), then realizing they have been shot as well helps in performance. Keep in mind that physicically a human can remain in a fight for a minimum of 4-5 seconds (a lifetime in a gunfight) with any of the major arteries totally destroyed (aorta, brachial, femoral, etc..). This is why psychological reaction is important. Animals haven't watched enough TV to know that they are supposed to fall over and die when they get shot. The only way to be assured of a BG going down like a sack of potatoes is with a Central Nervous System shot. CNS shots need good penetration to make that happen, which is why I dislike the "gimmick" ammo so much.

"

S

Socrates

By the same author:
"I have pretty extensive experience with the .45 Colt in anti-personnel shootings because a majority of officers at my agency used it for a duty load for most of my early years in L/E (we still issue it, so I get ammo for free.........don't hate me).

Here is my take on ammunition based on 18 years of first hand investigation of over 75 officer involved shootings and tons of assault and homocide cases. Against people, use a heavy bullet driven at a moderate velocity in a modern hollow-point. I only hunt people, so this is really my area of expertise, and I am keenly aware that soft humans are very different from the four leggers. As a compromise in a general purpose gun, there are some moderate velocity very heavy rounds that can be utilized for both animals and people that are less than ideal for both, but will work. nyeti
When I say heavy, I usually tell folks the heaviest bullet available in that particular caliber in a good, modern hollowpoint. For example in semi auto's (sorry, I know its a bad word), 147 gr. in 9mm, 180 gr. in .40, 230 gr. in .45 ACP. As far as the .45 Colt, we used 220 gr. Silvertips, and at one point we had a similar load from Federal. The STHP's were awesome on humans, and for some weird reason performed better than similar loads in .45 ACP. Moderate velocity in my world is somewhere in the 800-900fps range. There is a big difference in trying to drive a bullet through a human (worst case scenario-through a punch of bones before getting to the big blood pumping organs or the central nervous system), and driving them through a four legged animal who has much bigger bone structure, and tend to be much bigger with tougher skin. Like I said on heavy.....if they make it, its all good. If there was a 300 plus grain hollowpoint out there in .45 Colt at about 800-900 fps in .45 Colt, I would carry it. The problem with alot of the non-expanding bullets against humans is that the don't expand and tend to blow right through. This is fine if its going through "good stuff", but it tends to keep going. Ideally (and I've seen this a couple of times) is rounds that fully penetrate a bad guy, and we find a fully expended round in the bad guys clothing on the backside......perfect, full expansion, full pentration (a big hole with fluid coming out both ends), and nobody getting hurt on the other end. Hope this all helps. For some reason, you folks tend to have a much better grasp of common sense than some of the other forums where I get lambasted by some 17 year old kid who reads the gun rags and earned all their experience playing with airsoft guns and the all knowing internet.
"

This post brings up how skin requires about 5-6" more gelatin penetration to be breached. It's strong, elastic, and, since the bullet has already lost nearly all it's energy, it tends to be stopped easily by the offside skin.

It also brings up that most of the service caliber rounds are incapable of firing a hollow point heavy enough to both expand, and penetrate 18"-24". If the FBI wants ideally 18" of gello, then I want 5" more for the offside skin...

S

PS: If someone has the number of 45 Colt shootings in M&S, I'd really like to know. IIRC, the 45 Colt, and 44 magnum data was so small a sampling that no valid data could be drawn, and, using a % from them, based on their samplings, meant statistic inaccuracy.

In short, they might possibly have some valid information on shootings with large numbers, but, if the round isn't main stream police issue, their '%' are worthless.

PPS:
The above comments were written up in a Veteran Big bore shooting forum, not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.