Marriage and Civil Unions

Blackhawk

Understand also that I oppose heterosexual marriage licenses, too. My father should not have been forced to go down to the county courthouse, pay a fee, just for the "privilege" of being married to his current wife.
You don't get it yet, Lon. Your father did NOT have to go to the county courthouse or pay a fee to be "married" to his current "wife" unless, of course, he wanted the personal, financial and social "benefits" that entails.

It seems to boil down to you being jealous of an institution others have created over time that they call "marriage" comprised of a man and woman commiting themselves to each other in the sight of "their God", wanting their society to recognize their commitment, and wanting their commitment memorialized by their civilization's government for whatever good or evil that may bring at the time or in the future.

The only thing that's clear from your posts on this thread is that you're not comfortable with yourself.

Good luck to you!

LonWilson

So again I ask, if you don't want financial advantages (and bear in mind that a lot of married folks are wondering what they may be short of dying) or the social acceptance you presume may come from an "official government issued and recorded marriage license" , why do you care?

You may be right on that point. For example, when a woman or man runs in to the ER after hearing that her husband or wife, respectively, has been involved in an accident, and he's out of surgery, in many hospitals, the doctors won't question whether or not they're married, other than check their driver licenses to see if the same address is on there.

However, if I were to run into some of these hospitals, and say "Hey, my life partner is in serious condition, can I see him?". Sometimes, they get told they can't, they are required to get documents from home, and whatnot. Don't think it hasn't happened, it has, multiple times, in a lot of areas.

Do I think laws should be passed to prevent this? No. However, I think the hospitals, if they do this, should be exposed. Open disclosure and all...

LonWilson

wanting their society to recognize their commitment, and wanting their commitment memorialized by their civilization's government for whatever good or evil that may bring at the time or in the future.

*scratches his head*

I make a few points:

1. Since when have we (especially as pro-gun people) gave a damn about what society thinks? In this state, I can carry openly, but there are bliss ninnies who'd call the cops, do whatever, because "openly carrying firearms is unacceptible to the public order". This same society also likes things like "Jackass", MTV, and other stupid things that just thrive on total idiocy and mediocrity. In all of those things, pro-gun people get shunned.

2. Wanting their society to recognize their marriage, to me, is akin to begging. You pay a tax on marriage, or civil union, or whatever. It's no different than estate death taxes.

3. Whatever good or evil? Hey, just because two people are together in common union, doesn't mean they'll be angels, either.

My entire point is that state licensing of marriage, civil unions, or whatever you want it, needs to end.

Am I jealous of married people? No. As you said it yourself, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to it other than a spouse being able to sue you for every penny, take your house, your car, your life savings, and whatnot. The tax system still treats married couples poorly in terms of income taxation (ditch the IRS and the income tax, replace it with the NRST, no problem).

Am I jealous of the institution of marriage licensing? No. I view marriage and civil union licensing with utter contempt. People do it because life would be more difficult in terms of taking financial matters over if your partner gets hurt, and other stuff (at least until they realize that they can get name changes, financial controls, powers of attorney, inheritance, and the like, can all be done seperately, even though it's much more expensive at first).. Same reason that I, as a CHL holder, would get a CHL just to cover my butt when I carry a concealed handgun, even though I believe such state licenses are unconstitutional.

I started this thread in an attempt to bring some common ground, and to reverse the trend of the combination of issues discussed here causes outright flaming, and closing of the thread.

I never, ever would have thought that me, a "pagan" gay man, could find myself in such common agreement with the Preacherman on this very issue, even though we are fundamentally opposite on the issue of same sex relationships. Major kudos to all of you, even those who are not in agreement with me. You've all kept it very civil....

BigG

Going to the book...

I didn't know where some of you get the idea that there are no tangible financial benefits from state recognized marriage so I went to the 2001 1040 book.

line 39 Taxable income Single Married FJ
$40,000 7626 6004
$50,000 10376 8107
$60,000 13126 10857
$97000 24245 21032

Looks like there are thou$and$ of reasons to be married, to me. :rolleyes:

David Scott

I disagree that this country was founded on "Christian principles". I believe the Constitution and Bill of Rights make it clear that it was founded on principles of individual liberty and the idea that government is the servant, not the master, of the people. The First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof". That clearly expresses the intention to create a government that accepts all beliefs and is not driven by any one religion's tenets. It says that a Jew, a Muslim, an Atheist, a Zoroastrian or a Buddhist is equal to a Christian in the eyes of the law.

This is why I argued earlier that religion as a sacrament should be left to various faiths, and that the legal effects of marriage should be available seperately withor without religious marriage.

In practice, the fact that the majority of voters are Christian has led to some policy being driven by Christian principles. For example, the Mormons had to give up polygamy to get statehood for Utah. That was a clear case of the government imposing one set of religious values on those of another sect. There is no practical reason to forbid polygamy or polyandry, no overriding public interest.

Preacherman

Lon:
I never, ever would have thought that me, a "pagan" gay man, could find myself in such common agreement with the Preacherman on this very issue, even though we are fundamentally opposite on the issue of same sex relationships. Major kudos to all of you, even those who are not in agreement with me. You've all kept it very civil....
Not that I'm gay, you understand, but does this mean that we're on the same pag(e)-an???
hmm3grin2orange.gif