Magnum Auto Pistols

reticle

LAR Grizzly with 357mag, 357/45 GWM, 10mm, 45 acp and 45 win mag conversion kits 3 mags each

:)

capreef313_zpsd992653c.jpg

mk23019.jpg

44 AMP

Staff

Nice pics, some very nice guns!

I know at least some of them get shot, so, what do you think about the recoil?

For me, shooting .44 Mag class power loads (and above), the autos are more pleasant to shoot than any revolver I have tried. And its not just that they are heavier, although I'm sure that makes a difference too. For me, the shape of the grip gives the recoil a much different "feel", and I'm sure the massive moving parts have an effect as well.

Your thoughts?

reticle

I know at least some of them get shot, so, what do you think about the recoil?

I have a few magnum pistols. The LAR is the only remaining semi auto magnum I have. The rest are revolvers. The recoil on the Grizzly is, well, more than most folks care to repeat beyond one magazine. In fact, few of the curious make it past the first three rounds. It's a magnum gun there's going to be significant recoil. I actually like it.

My magnum revolvers are not as easily controlled as the LAR and Desert Eagles I used to own. I think part of that is the grip shape of those revolvers creates a pivoting action if the shooter is not careful. That allows the muzzle to jump more I think. My magnum revolvers are in .44 mag, 454 Casull, 45 win mag and 450 mag express.

The only round I considered punishing was the 50ae in a DE. The recoil was very sharp compared to the other magnum guns I used. It was almost enough to make me flinch. I've never fired 460, 480 nor 500sw so I can't compare them to 50ae.

Rembrandt

If a 10mm is a magnum, here's an interchangeable 3 barrel set (10mm, 45ACP, 38 Super) from Germany by Peter Stahls.

IMG_0381_zps611f2731.jpg

silvermane_1

44AMP, you info on the AutoMags is slightly incorrect, it goes: AutoMag II 22WMR, AutoMag III 30 Carb./9mmWin Mag, AutoMag IV 45 Win Mag/10mm IAI Mag, AutoMag V 50 AE.

Hook686

I go along with Rembrandt. The scoped Desert Eagle with a bipod works for me for anything beyond 25 yards. Inside that the fixed sights on the DE XIX do just fine. Inside 7 yards its point shoot time and sights don't mean much to me.

44 AMP

Staff
The biggest problem with the fixed sights on the Desert Eagle is that like all fixed sights, they are only "on" at one distance, with one bullet weight and speed range.

I have a nice 180gr load in .44 Mag that my Desert Eagle runs on, and runs well. However, at anything much beyond point blank, there is a notable difference in the point of impact, compared to the 240gr load the factory sights are regulated for.

Although hardly a point and shoot type gun, it is mildly irritating to me that other magnum autos only take a few clicks with a screwdriver or allen wrench and you are sighted in again.

One of the major advantages of the magnum class rounds is their ability to be used accurately at much longer than usual handgun ranges. The better the sights, the better it can be used (by those still young enough that their eyes are good, ;)). The Desert Eagle fixed sights are usable, but not as good as adjustables.

AKhog

My current magnums are a:
Mark I Grizzly 45WM hard-chromed, low serial number.
475 Wildey 10" Hunter model.
XD-45/460 Rowland conversion.

non-auto, I have a 500S&W 4".

magnut

all these original automags make me want to break out my Mack Bolan novels again. I have wanted a Big Thunder ever since i stated reading them. He carries a desert eagle now though.

I had a AMT automag 2 when I was a teenager. I could not get through a magazine without multiple jam. When it shot though it was stupid accurate.

Which of all these is still being made? I know desert eagle and coonan are around. Is wildey still in business?....LAR? I think high standard makes the automag 2 but I have never seen one. I looked at the Keltec PMR and it seems really flimsey like the old grendels. I cant see getting one over $300 or so.

44 AMP

Staff
The original Auto Mag is long gone. The LAR Grizzly went away some years ago. Coonan was gone, but is now back in business, and thanks to some forum members, we have some good reports of their new guns.

Desert Eagle has stayed in production since it was introduced.

Wildey is still in business, the last I heard. They have a website, although it seems it hasn't been updated recently. Give them a call?

I heard the Automag II was back in production, but cannot verify.

It is clearly a niche market.

magnut

yeah i found wildeys home page. They have a carbine version and even a new full size semi auto pistol that looks simliar to a korth.

Wildeys prices are actually very good if the site is accurate and they seem to have parts as well. i had been wanting a desert eagle but now am thinking i might go with one of these. They look a bit like the original automag and the adjustable gas system is pretty neat.

maybe its not dirty harry or Mack Bolan but it is Paul kerseys magnum of choice...LOL.

Seriously though I think I am going to check into one. i like some of,the oddball designs.

Wasnt there going to be a run of original automags a few years back? I seem to remember reading about it. its too bad nobody is working on it. its got to be one of the more iconic american made guns out there. almost every gun enthusiast knows the automag.

44 AMP

Staff
A couple years or three back there was some talk about bringing back the original Auto Mag. Some guy had a bunch of original frames (castings?) he was going to finish, and was going to make new guns, too.

He was also taking advance deposits....

Not wanting to be personally involved with history repeating itself, I decided to wait. Haven't heard any more about it since...

(for those who don't know, the original Auto Mag corp went belly up after producing some guns, and taking a bunch of money in advance. Rumor has it that embezzlement was involved. I don't know.

What I do know is that a number of people paid in advance, and never got their guns (or their money, I believe). Auto Mag went bust.

The tooling and remaining parts inventory was bought by Thomas Oil company, and they formed a company, Trust Deed Estates (TDE) and hired Harry Sanford (who ran the original company) to run things. TDE began with the intent of just finishing the remaining guns, but went on to produce a number of "new" guns. TDE (I believe) produced the most guns of any of the outfits that built Auto Mags (Auto Mag, TDE, High Standard, Jurras).

I have one of the Auto Mag Corp (Pasadena) manuals with a label on it, stating how TDE had bought the parts at public auction and was going to be finishing the guns, and is not responsible for any debts/obligations incurred by Auto Mag Corp, etc. Neat bit of history.

magnut

thats just a shame that such a unique design gets shelved. I think high standard has the amt automag 2 now. I wonder who owns the rights to the original automag.

it kind of reminds me of the spotted history with the Bren Ten. at least with those though we kind of have a substitue with the 10mm witness line. With the automag I guess. the closest thing is the desert eagle. Although the wildey looks similar i am not sure how close the design is.

AKhog

The Wildey is a fun gun to shoot, but wear a glove. The back of the grip has some sharp edges. Had mine for 20+ years.

Attachments

• Wildey.jpg
    Wildey.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

spier1

Wildey steel

Dear Sirs I see Your vast preparation on big handgun. Can someone tell me which kind of stainless steel was used in the Wildeys i.e. if it was a martensitic thermal treatable one or not? Thanks