Magnum Auto Pistols

stefano

lar grizz

... one LAR Grizzly 45 WinMag nicely refinished, some areas highly polished, well incorporated front and rear sights, quality wood grips, very good job.
A fine magnum pistol

Attachments

• Grizz2smal.jpg
    Grizz2smal.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 43

Guv

You got some nice guns 44AMP!;) My sole magnum auto is a AMT Automag II 6.5" owned since the 80's.

OkieCruffler

Once I got into Contenders I actually learned to love forming brass (you want a lesson in patience, make 22 jet out of 357 mag sometime) but you're right. Feeding a single shot doesn't take nearly as much brass as an auto.

Peter M. Eick

Nice pictures. I have never put my Automag next to the contender to compare it. It is a neat comparison to see.

I am envious of your ammo pile. I came across some of that CDM ammo in the early 90's and balked on shooting it. I had read it was hot and avoided it.

Japle

When I bought this .44 AMP last year, it had been fired 9 times. Apparently, the guy who bought it new in 1973 didn't like shooting it and put it away with 41 rounds left in the ammo box. When he died, his son sold it to me.

I bought it on my C&R license and had it shipped right to my house.

It was a little rough and needed considerable polishing before it would run reliably.

Unlike my .44 mag S&W, I can shoot this little gun as much as I want with full-power loads. It produces impressive flash and blast, but it's a *****cat and super accurate.

a couple...

this is an older pic... I've pulled the scopes off now, but kept the mounts, if I want to scope them up later...

don't even start me on the Contenders ( BTW... they aren't autos anyway ;) )

also picked up a PMR-30 a while back... ( counts as a magnum right :) )

madmo44mag

Great thread and some wonderful looking magnums.
I remember when I saw Dirty Harry Callahan whip out that 44 auto mag I was hooked.
I wanted one so bad but like any new cartridge I figured lets see if the round takes off and becomes main stream and there is a good supply of ammo.
That never really happened so I never bought one.
When the 44 DE hit the market I went ape nuts over it.
Once I had the cash to buy one I was seeing all the various issues people were having with them.
After the 1st couple of years most of the issues had been resolved for wrong ammo type to improper handling, ect….
I still would like to have a 44 DE but something always seems to land in my lap and suck the money up.
Too many guns and never enough money! ;)

smee78

I just got my fix for a magnum auto pistol with my Desert Eagle 44, it is the two tone model dated around 1993.:D I saw a Wildy once in a pawn shop but I didnt know then what I know now so I didn't buy it........O well :rolleyes:

44 AMP

Staff
Great replies..

Lets see them, hear about them, what you've got, what you've seen, maybe what you've done...

I see a Desert Eagle with the Millet(?) sights. Nice. One of the things I never liked about the Desert Eagle was the standard sights. Not right. Auto Mag, LAR, Wildey, all came with good (or fairly good) adjustable sights. Not the mighty Desert Eagle. Gotta get those extra...

I can actually understand the fixed (windage drift) sights on the Coonan, its the closest of any to being a "fighting" magnum. Don't agree with it, low profile adjustables have been mated on a slide for some time now. But I do understand it.

The first Auto Mag I ever saw was in Guns & Ammo. Almost at the same time I found it being used in the Executioner books. I was still getting around by shanks mare or bicycle, but even then I knew that writing was ...shall we say a bit over the top? but oh the corner of every book had an Auto Mag...

First real one I found was at a shop about 40 miles from my home, Dad would visit it about once or twice a month, usually. Never could get him interested in it, cost too much he said..

it was a .357 AMP, one of the long barrel guns without the rib. $395.
At the time, MSRP for a S&W M 29 was $283.50

I watched that gun sit in the case, for a few years, going from $395 to $695...:eek:

Then Uncle Sam had me for a few years, and dreams of an Auto Mag went on hold...

Rembrandt

14" barrel.....

DesertEagle14_zpsdaa696d9.jpg

superspirit

I had a desert eagle 357 mag for a while, the gun was totally problematic. turned me off of magnum auto weapons. wanted it for years, but was happier to get rid of it, than I ever was shooting it. some nice eye candy in here though.

44 AMP

Staff

Wildey and Desert Eagle. Not small guns.

Of my magnum autos, these two are the biggest, and heaviest. The Desert Eagle has the "longest" trigger reach, The Wildey is not quite as long, BUT the cross section of the Wildey grip is "fatter", making the grip feel very "round".

Other interesting thing about the Wildey, it has a DA/SA trigger, AND a heel type mag release. Not sure why Wildey did it that way. Several possibilities come to mind, but all are just speculation.

One thing for certain, despite the same kind of trigger action found on many duty pistols, the Wildey would make a poor choice for a duty gun. Unless, you are Charles Bronson, and the script writers are in your corner. ;)

Rembrandt

Down side of long barreled heavy magnums is the ability to shoot with a steady freehand. Since I lack Popeye's massive forearms, a detachable bipod compensates nicely.

de1_zps669b185c.jpg