M1 Carbine, Modified

Helios

I'd love a small carbine in 10MM.

It's a shame H&K won't sell us lowly civilians a semi-auto MP5 in 10MM.

Crosshair

I've talked about wildcatting the x39 round and running a big bore AK. I was thinking a .40, but .35 would be OK.
Wouldn't a 338 be better? Bullets with good BC are widly available and you have a good variation of weights available.

BillCA

9mm Para is .357, right? Why would it be difficult for a factory to fabricate that case to the same length as the Carbine?

Almost, Art. The 9mm spec is .355", not .357".

Bolt face, barrel, R&D with gas port diameter and recoil spring and it's good to go, seems like.
The 9mm case head is .394, vs. .360 for the M1. You'd have to test that .034" difference, but it shouldn't require too much tweaking.... I think. The critical factor would be making sure there's enough room to capture the case on the bolt head and still engage the locking lugs.

Mostly I figure that a bit heavier bullet might get better penetration on such game as smaller hogs and deer, while not hurting any present effectiveness for plinking and defense.
A 9mm case extended about 1/2" to 1.290 (carbine length) would give you a lot of powder room to push a 125-135 grain projectile downrange with some authority.

natman

The M1 Carbine has had a fair share of conversion to other chamberings. There was a 22 wildcat, called the 5.7 Johnson Spitfire:
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/wmmj57mm.html

The problem is the cost of forming and reloading dies, the work involved to convert the cases and having the fruits of your labor tossed into the bushes after each shot.

The M1 Carbine has also been converted to larger calibers:

http://www.thegunzone.com/carbine-wildcat.html

Bear in mind that the SAAMI max pressure for the M1 carbine cartridge is 40000 psi when picking a new chambering.

Converting M1 Carbines was a lot more popular twenty+ years ago when they were MUCH cheaper than they are now.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Radiusing the bolt by 0.017" might be doable.

Isn't the max load on the usual .357 around 30K to 35K psi?

As far as bore diameter, seems to me that for an ammo manufacturer to set up for a rimless .357 would be no big deal. Or, for a 9mmParaLong. I guess it would be a matter of which selection of existing bullets would be best. .357, most likely...

I'm just trying to stay as close as possible to the KISS principle. Otherwise, it's not worth the effort.