Looking for a new 22cal handgun.

Cosmodragoon

Revolvers are nice because they are reliable and can skip over a dud. Trigger pull tends to be heavier in rimfire. As I get older, more arthritic, and more interested in all my guns being fun and easy to shoot; this becomes a slightly less attractive prospect. As much as the increased wheel capacity is cool, it also means a lot more holes to clean. If I was going to buy a .22 revolver today, it would probably be the LCRX with a 3" barrel.

As far as semi-autos, I really like the Ruger SR22. It's a DA/SA, which matches well to other guns of that type. It seems better made than some other guns in this class. It's reminiscent of the Walther P22 but much better, more reliable, and less picky about ammo in my experience.

GarandTd

I've picked up the M&P 22 compact since the start of this thread. It is a very forgiving 22 auto. It cycles pretty much everything I've tried. It doesn't need to be clean to work and it field strips easily. I had some issues with the adjustable sights on mine, but S&W was quick to send me what I needed to fix it. It is made in house by S&W. Aluminum slide, stainless barrel, poly frame.

Ricklin

Here's the thing

.22 pistols and revolvers are like potato chips, can't have just one.

The small J frame size revolvers will have a heavy double action trigger pull, it's the frame size that is the deal breaker with regard to a nice light double action trigger pull.
The .22 rim fire takes a healthy whack to produce consistent and reliable ignition. The small J frame size makes it impossible to reduce the spring and have consistent ignition.

That's my understanding when I researched reducing the double action pull on my two men and a boy Taurus 94 revolver.

Since it's a range toy I just shoot it single action. Fast double action is possible, but for me it's a spray and pray thing, given that 13 pound double action pull.

Chainsaw.

Personally, beings I own one, I would caution against the SR22. I bought mine as a suppressor host, which it is fine for. Aside from that the whole gun is just, meh. The trigger is kinda mushty, the sights are okayish, it feels cheap, and it’s pattern is reminiscent of buckshot. Il keep it as a trainer for new ahooters and again as a sup host, but I think I’m going with the aforementioned mkIII with the long barrel.

Cosmodragoon

I would caution against the SR22. I bought mine as a suppressor host, which it is fine for. Aside from that the whole gun is just, meh. The trigger is kinda mushty, the sights are okayish, it feels cheap, and it’s pattern is reminiscent of buckshot. Il keep it as a trainer for new ahooters and again as a sup host, but I think I’m going with the aforementioned mkIII with the long barrel.

This is all relative. Compared to the mkIII or other fancy target pistols, compared for the same things, it might be "meh". Compared to other DA/SA options, other guns that look like their center-fire counterparts, or just more packable rimfire pistols, I think the SR22 is very good.

(Compared to the P22 that is an obvious comparison, the SR22 might as well be made of solid gold.)

Prof Young

Beretta M9 in 22 cal.

I just bought a Beretta M9 in 22 cal and really love the thing. It's the same size as a Full sized Beretta 92fs but lighter. I've put a couple hundred rounds through mine and it has quickly become my favorite range gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

gwpercle

My favorite is a Ruger MKII stainless steel that went to Clark Custom Guns and had a trigger and accuracy job done and a Millet SP-1 Red dot sight mounted.
That package is so Sweet !
Every 22 shooter should experience shooting a gun that has been worked on by the Clark's, I'm smiling just thinking of shooting that MKII .
My model 41 S&W is jealous and wishes it could shoot groups as small... it can't , so stays home in the box.

Gary

peacefulgary

I love the idea of a 22 revolver. I have some revolvers and enjoy shooting them D/A the way they are meant to be used.
Shooting a revolver double action is certainly the way to go for defensive shooting, as time is of the essence.

But for hunting or bulls-eye shooting, single action is definitely better.

Leaf

For whatever it's worth, I've had the Ruger SR22 require second strikes and on several other occasions had the .22 casings crack and stick within the chamber following ignition with a few different brands of ammo. I never had similar experiences shooting a Ruger Mark III 22/45 with the same ammo.

ARgon

Get a really good Camden Highstandard Victor. 500ish could be a lot of things, spring for the extra money, you will not be sorry you did. Mine is 40 some odd years old and is a tack driver.

TruthTellers

Personally, beings I own one, I would caution against the SR22. I bought mine as a suppressor host, which it is fine for. Aside from that the whole gun is just, meh. The trigger is kinda mushty, the sights are okayish, it feels cheap, and it’s pattern is reminiscent of buckshot. Il keep it as a trainer for new ahooters and again as a sup host, but I think I’m going with the aforementioned mkIII with the long barrel.
Comparing a polymer framed plinker to an all steel match/competition pistol isn't a fair comparison or a good one. Ruger markets it as a "Do it all pistol" that's "reliable" and in those regards, the SR22 lives up to the claims. Want is for CCW? It works well for that. Want it to suppress? Works well for that. Want it to shoot cans? Great for that. Double action hammer makes it reliable in case the first whack on the rimfire primer doesn't go off.