Looking for a new 22cal handgun.

ThomasT

What's even better is that Ruger has solved the RHR (Ridiculously Hard Reassembly) problem in the Mk IVs. Push a button, and the top half of the pistol comes off. Pull the bolt out of the back of the slide, and you're ready to clean. Put bolt back in, pop top half back on, and you're done.

Never understood the "hard to take apart" thing on the Ruger auto's. I bought my first one at a Trade Day event. I took it home had it apart and cleaned in just a bit and then reassembled. All without an owners manual and way before Al Gore invented the internet. Computers were way in the future for me.

I have had many Ruger autos since that first one and thats what I would look for if I were in the market for a new semi-auto myself. But the SW Victory has been studied more than once by me also. That would be a contender too.

Ricklin

Agreed

.22 handguns are like potato chips, can't have just one.

My stable of .22 handguns stands at three right now, Ruger Mk 3 Hunter, HS Supermatic, and the latest addition is a Taurus 94.

The Ruger was a jamomatic till I eliminated the loaded chamber indicator. Had to use mini mags and still had jams till I got rid of that little POS. No it eats most everything. Easy to do, no parts needed. Just get rid of the little plastic chamber tab that actuates the LCI and reassemble.
The Supermatic is the oldest, it's an early one lever lock barrel. It's also the most accurate. I only run SV ammo in the Supermatic.

The Taurus was a pleasant surprise. I slicked up the action a little and dry fired the heck out of it with snap caps. Still takes two men and a boy for the DA trigger, but SA is really decent. Much better than new, and cheap as I paid 200 for it NIB.

jimbob86

Never understood the "hard to take apart" thing on the Ruger auto's. I bought my first one at a Trade Day event. I took it home had it apart and cleaned in just a bit and then reassembled. All without an owners manual and way before Al Gore invented the internet. Computers were way in the future for me.

To be fair, I imagine that Ruger did not have the stupid magazine disconnect in it, am I right?

The put the magazine in, take the magazine out Hokey pokey thing is annoying.

..... but it is not "Ridiculously Hard".....
\

ThomasT

No it didn’t. But I haven’t owned a Ruger 22 with a mag disconnect. I bought this gun used around 1985. It just seemed so simple after I studied it a couple of minutes.

But I also bought a used Nylon 66 that the feedramp had come loose in and took it apart and glued the ramp back in place with Accraglass gel. No instructions there either. That was around 1990 or so. I was surprised when I started reading these were hard to disassemble.

SauerGrapes

The put the magazine in, take the magazine out Hokey pokey thing is annoying.

I agree, the stupid in and out with the magazine is annoying. That is exactly why the guy I bought it from sold it to me for a ridiculously low price.
I've never taken it apart. I just blast it with spray cleaner and keep on going. It shoots great and seems to eat whatever I put in it.

ThomasT

I am not sure what you guys are talking about on the "Hokey Pokey" thing. That one I may need the manual for. I am pretty good at figuring out how to disassemble and reassemble stuff but the P89 I had I would have needed the manual for that one for sure. You had to open the slide and push down something, I forget what now but I needed to read up on it to get it apart. Once done it was easy but not intuitive.

jimbob86

I am not sure what you guys are talking about on the "Hokey Pokey" thing.

You've got to have insert and remove the magazine several times to take the gun apart and put it back together, unless you have done away with the mag disconnect bug (not a feature in my book) .....

bassJAM1

I love the idea of a 22 revolver. I have some revolvers and enjoy shooting them D/A the way they are meant to be used.

You'll pretty much want to stick with a S&W then, possibly a Dan Wesson. Most other .22 revolvers (including my High Standard) have horrendous DA trigger pulls, but the Smith 17/617 is pretty nice still.

Armybrat

Don't forget the little Model 34 S&W - just as nice as its big brother:

CA3_BA93_B_379_D_4940_B1_A0_C5_EBAD69_DF03.jpg

kramden

I recently bought 2. A Ruger SR22 and an M&P22. Both are excellent. But if I had to pick only one it would be the MP22. Has a big gun feel and I'm more accurate with it.

TruthTellers

.22 is so great to have and the guns so cheap, there's not much reason not to have a few revolvers and pistols in .22 LR. I figure an NAA, an 8 or 9 round snubbie, a convertible single action with a long barrel and adj sights, a pocket semi auto, a "tactical" semi auto, and a target semi auto cover everything for .22 in a pistol.

I'd say look at a revolver, but then again read my sig and you'll understand why I say that.

Drm50

I've got a couple dozen 22 handguns. 99% of them are obsolete models, maybe
100% I don't keep up with the new stuff. My favorite is S&W m17 K22. It is a
serious 22. In S&W I also have a 34 & 41. The 34 is a nice gun but not equal to
a 17. The 41 is a fine pistol but a range gun, The older Colts, Brownings & Hi-St
are some fine pistols also. The only handguns in 22 that I have with fixed sights
are a couple old 3screw Ruger Single-6s.

I have shot a lot of the new model guns, have owned most of them. I don't like
stainless but I've had a couple 617s/ 10 shot in the last year that were very fine
shooters. I think a lot of the plastic 22 are plinkers and not for serious shooting.
The biggest disappointment I have had was a SIG Mosquito. I bought one when
1st out. Paid premium price because of hype & demand. Worst buy I ever made.

ManyMag

I currently have K22, Ruger Mark III and Sig P250c 22. I use the Ruger with a barrel attached light I can turn on/off with my trigger finger. I primarily practice with the P250 because the grip perfectly matches my edc, a P320c + holster + magazine pouch. The K22 just lays there looking pretty.

Fishbed77

I vote for a .22 clone of whatever other handgun(s) you have. If you have a S&W M&P, get the M&P22. If you have a Sig 226, get the Sig Mosquito. Etc, etc. Will give you double the practice for your pistol of choice.

My advice would be the exact opposite of this. In my experience, most of these look-alike pistols are of cheap potmetal construction and unreliable. The Mosquito is just a terrible firearm.

The exception to this trend in my opinion is the Ruger SR22 pistol, though it doesn't mimic any specific centerfire pistol in appearance or operation, or options like the CZ Kadet adapter, which can be expensive and tough to find.

Wag

Last Saturday, I went shooting with one of my buddies and he had just picked up a Kel-Tec PMR 30. Ugly little pistol but a lot of fun to shoot. Also, it's a .22 magnum pistol so a bit pricey for ammo, of course.

I think it's pretty high up on my list of "next" guns to buy.

--Wag--

gbran

I have several .22s, but recently bought the Ruger Single Ten, 10 shot SA revolver. I'm real happy with it.