Looking for a 45 acp that's reliable out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemiram

I've owned a lot of .45 guns, haven't had a 1911 in close to 40 years and I doubt I will ever own another one. Bad memories, both of mine and of friend's 1911's being "1911ish".

But I've had great luck with:

EAA Witness .45
Sar K2 45
S&W 4506
Sig P220
CZ 97. (Had to have some work done to be reliable on HP ammo, the 4 above ate anything) I still have the other ones, the 97 went away when I needed cash.

TunnelRat

Spot on. Rails are for trains…and “operators” with certain skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put lights on my rails. That way I have a means to use the pistol with a light if I only have one hand available. I don’t consider it operating though.

JMag1

I put lights on my rails. That way I have a means to use the pistol with a light if I only have one hand available. I don’t consider it operating though.

I use a WML on my primary home defense pistol, but it’s not a 1911. For me, rails detract from the 1911’s lines. It’s more aesthetically pleasing without for me.

Ricklin

Should you choose to give Glock a go.

Unless you have size large and up mitts, go with the SF model. The short frame is comfortable, double stack .45 makes for a large grip.
That's not so hot for folks like me anyway.

The Glock standard frame .45 and 10mm are just to darn big for a lotta folks.

totaldla

Smith and Wesson M&P 45 is a very good gun, but you have to love a 1911.
The M&P is NOT a 1911. Perhaps I misunderstood you.
The M&P45 is a very good pistol, superior to the Glock 21 & 30 IMHO, and at a better price point than H&K.

But I don't know how hard they are to find now.

Last edited:

Nanuk

If you do choose a 1911, make sure you have a pool of cash set aside, ready to throw at your pistolsmith of choice to fix any outta-da-box issues. Typically you'll encounter these in the first 50-100 rds fired.

:rolleyes:

veprdude

Springfield XD or XDM Series. I personally carry a XDM 3.8 in .45. Zero malfunctions in probably 2k rounds. When I first bought it (used) I put 300 rounds of dirty Monarch (PPU for those of you who don't know what Academy is) through it before cleaning it to see if it would malfunction without oil. It ran flawless. I carry Golden Saber 230gr and it runs great with it.

Zero malfunctions in any other XD or XDM I've ever shot. I have a Glock 22 that will jam on the first round when the mag is fully loaded and one in the chamber FWIW.

I would second a Sig P220. I've only shot a few boxes through it but it always runs great.

Nakanokalronin

If you do choose a 1911, make sure you have a pool of cash set aside, ready to throw at your pistolsmith of choice to fix any outta-da-box issues. Typically you'll encounter these in the first 50-100 rds fired.

@JustJake

After owning 20+ 1911s from over eight different manufactures in three different model sizes and using at least seven different brands of magazines in them, I call this statement untrue. I never did any work on my 1911s until after I hit 500 rounds and I only added parts that I preferred or that were completely cosmetic like grips.

I had one single 1911 malfunction on me and that was a PT1911. THAT particular 1911 was a piece of junk from top to bottom. The bluing came off like it was applied with a sharpie, it would occasionally double feed, it jammed 100% of the time with any hollow point ammo and 50% of the time with ball ammo no matter what brand of magazine I used, the front frame checkering was easily damaged like it was made out of aluminum foil and the right side safety lever fell off during the first range trip. After I got that garbage back from Taurus I took it to the local gun shop to get rid of it.

highpower3006

Sounds like the typical internet FUD.

I have had a bunch of 1911's in the past and still have over a dozen of them. All have worked reasonably well with the only real problems appearing in a couple that had bad recoil springs, a very easy fix. Heck even my 1914 vintage Springfield Armory 1911 that spent many years at the bottom of a lake is reliable.
IMG_2598-XL.jpg

Nowadays you can buy a semi custom 1911 over the counter that will have all the mods that you used to have to pay a pistol smith to do.

But.......... hands down, the most reliable .45 I have that will absolutely digest anything I put through it without any hiccups, is a HK USP .45

sigarms228

I vote HK45.

Here is Todd Green's 50,000 round test on it. Too bad they don't do tests like this anymore. Seems all we get are 200 round infomercial social media events where manufacturer sends gun and ammo to "reviewer".

A few highlights.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027

50,000 rounds

1 stoppages 1 (*) malfunctions 1 parts breakages

The HK45 fired its first 31,522 rounds without a bobble of any kind, another pistol-training.com endurance test record.

So what are the final numbers:

252 total days of testing

96 trips to the range
average 520.8 rounds per trip

392 hours of range time
average 127.5 rounds per hour

The HK45 was fired in nine States… and one foreign country, eh?

Twelve different types of ammunition from nine different manufacturers were used:

CCI Blazer 230gr FMJ: 26,185
Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ: 21,354
Remington UMC 230gr MC: 850
Winchester 230gr Ranger SXT: 542
PMC 230gr FMJ: 600
ASYM 230gr FMJ Match: 124
ASYM 185gr National Match Target: 120
Black Hills 230gr FMJ: 50
Mag Tech 230gr MC: 50
Pro Load 230gr Match FMJ: 50
Winchester (white box) 230gr FMJ: 50
Remington 230gr Golden Saber BJHP: 25
The pistol was only cleaned seven times during the entire test, going 10,181 rounds between cleanings at one point.

TunnelRat

Seems all we get are 200 round infomercial social media events.

Not many people do the kind of round count Todd Green did. Those kind of reviews are both rare and arguably of less importance to most people (while it’s nice to know a pistol can do that round count, if the average person never puts more than 2000 rd through a pistol does it matter if it can go 50000?). For that matter 50,000 rd of 45 ACP has never been cheap, and these days you’d need a second mortgage /sarcasm. All that said, I agree the HK45 is an impressive pistol. I regret selling my 45c.

Status
Not open for further replies.