Looking for a 45 acp that's reliable out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodfac

From my personal experience and that of my friends: any Sig in .45 ACP, Ruger SR1911 & CMD, Colt Gold Cup Series 70, Remington-Rand '43 built 1911a1.
HTH's Rod. And I'll recommend the Sig P220, or either Ruger 1911: SR1911 or CMD. Rugers are the best bang for the buck in my experience and will produce 2" groups at 25 yds from rest with good reloads. Too, if the QC issues evident with Kimbers produced 5-7 years ago are still prevalent...I'd avoid them.

JustJake

Tanfoglio Witnesses are junk. :rolleyes:

Some 1911s run better than others "out of the box," but that still makes the species a hit-or-miss proposition generally as to any particular gun.

If you do choose a 1911, make sure you have a pool of cash set aside, ready to throw at your pistolsmith of choice to fix any outta-da-box issues. Typically you'll encounter these in the first 50-100 rds fired.

kerreckt

Tanfoglio Witnesses are junk. :rolleyes:

Some 1911s run better than others "out of the box," but that still makes the species a hit-or-miss proposition generally as to any particular gun.

If you do choose a 1911, make sure you have a pool of cash set aside, ready to throw at your pistolsmith of choice to fix any outta-da-box issues. Typically you'll encounter these in the first 50-100 rds fired.
Why are Tanfoglio Witnesses junk? My experience is with full size steel models in 9mm, 40, 45 and 10mm. Nothing but excellent performance in my experiences. Please share why you feel they are junk. Best wishes!

Pistoler0

Why are Tanfoglio Witnesses junk? My experience is with full size steel models in 9mm, 40, 45 and 10mm. Nothing but excellent performance in my experiences. Please share why you feel they are junk. Best wishes!
Ah, don't listen to it.

My experience with Tanfoglio / EAA Witness is also that they run flawlessly. Mine are both polymer.

The Witness line of pistols gets rave reviews everywhere, and they are popular in competition circles.

Hawg

My Rock Island has been flawless for 10 years. I did change the grips and mag because I didn't like the ones that came with it but they did work.

44 AMP

Staff
You shouldn't trust your life to anything "out of the box".

Mechanical devises need to run a bit, for all the parts to "settle in" and "get used to working together". You can pay through the nose for a custom fitted and tuned gun, and expect it to be fully ready when you put your hands on it, that's what you're paying extra to get.

You won't get that from a commercial off the shelf common production gun. You might get a gun that runs flawlessly right out of the box, I've had them, but you shouldn't count on that.

The recommended 2-300rnd breaking in period is recommended for a reason. If you think you don't need that. fine, roll your dice, its your gun, your wallet, and your life. (also consider that the break in isn't just for the gun, its for the gun AND the shooter)

I've had actual Colt Govt Models that ran fine from day one. had others that didn't. Bought a Browning BDA .45 in 1980, (early model Sig P220) its been flawless since the beginning as well.

Another point to consider, is "to work out of the box" with what?? GI ball? some special JHP?? target SWCs? ALL interchangeable? what are you expectations, really??

the45er

I have the Sig 220, the H&K USP and the Glock 30. mr bolo no speak with forked tongue. Any of these great pistols will go "bang" right out of the box. However, having said this, I'll repeat the old cliche that if you're going to count on it to save you life sometime, you really need to run a few hundred rounds through it before you put it to that test.

PatientWolf

What is a “special mag”?

Most mags are mostly platform or model specific, so I assume everything takes a “special mag”.

There are many good options out of the box. You have posed a pretty broad question.

What do you specifically not like about the 1911 platform?
SAO?
Weight?
Hammer fire control?
Takedown?
Capacity?

Answering these questions might help to narrow down the suggestions.

Sgt127

The old steel Smiths were great. Magazines are pricey, hard to find. I carried a Sig P220 for years. I’d carry one again in a heartbeat. MecGar for mags.

sevt_chevelle

CZ 97.
P220 not in the same league as the 97.
Fnx 45 found a new home
1911s collect dust.

Tanfoglio is such junk it's only the most popular brand in shooting sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.