Looking for a 45 acp that's reliable out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrt949

Would like to find a 45 ACP .Not 1911
That doesn't require spring changes special mags .
To work out of the box.

Last edited:

MarkCO

I may have incorrectly assumed the OP was looking for a 1911 based on his post.

But yes, if you step away from just 1911s, Glocks and several other pistols can jump on in and play nice as well.

dahermit

Would like to find a 45 ACP .
That doesn't require spring changes special mags .
To work out of the box.
My Colt XSE Combat Commander had to have both the recoil spring and the firing pin spring replaced... right out of the box. So, a Pony on a new gun is no guarantee. I also replaced the worthless plastic mainspring housing as soon as I discovered it was plastic and not steel.

"Worthless" as in having no apparent value. I have offered to send the Colt supplied plastic mainspring housing to anyone who wanted it for just the price of postage ("free"), but no one has ever taken me up on it.

enhance

Last edited:

JustJake

Would like to find a 45 ACP .
That doesn't require spring changes special mags.
To work out of the box.
Since you didn't specify a 1911, I'd recommend any of the S&W 3rd Gen 45XX-series pistols, if you can find one.

They work superbly "outta da box."

10-96

mrt949- Could you help us narrow down the possibilities a bit? I was going to suggest a Sig P220, but then I got to wondering what kind of action you'd prefer, or a polymer, alloy, or steel frame, round capacity, etc. And are you looking for casual range use, EDC, Jeeping or biking use?

OK, again, I'd like to throw out the Sig P220.

Eddiejoe

SAR K2 45. A CZ copy, nice and heavy, lower recoil than my Ruger P345, and large cap magazines. About 100 rounds so far and no hiccups.

Pistoler0

Tanfoglio makes several that I’ve had great luck with. I like the Witness full size.

https://eaacorp.com/product/tanfoglio-witness-full-size/
I vouch for Tanfoglio / EAA too, as a great DA/SA pistol.

I have the EAA Witness Polymer Compact, but in 9mm. It is extremely reliable.

For 45 ACP I have a Glock, which I recommend. But I am sure the Witness in 45 works well too. The great thing about the Witness is that one can buy upper slides for 9mm, 45 ACP and 10mm for the same pistol. The downside is that these conversions are expensive.

Desmosedici

Look into the Beretta PX4 Storm. I do not own one, but have fired one, and it was a very pleasant, easy to operate pistol. Racking the slide was very easy, controls work well.

I do own an HK45, and it is a great gun. A little on the pricier end, though. Ruger P Series have some really nice .45's.

jmr40

Pretty much all of them. Even 1911's are better than they were 30-40 years ago.

I'm partial to the Glock 30 or 21. The Smith M&P 2.0 versions are pretty good too. The original Smith's needed trigger work, but the 2.0 version is more than acceptable. The thing I like about the Smith is that it is available with a 1911 style safety.

ojibweindian

Oh, interesting. I just checked Springfield's page, and they're listing the XD in .45 again, in a "state compliant" version.

The whole XD line had been pared pretty severely.

Pretty sure the XD Mod 2 has been discontinued; too bad, because it's an excellent double stack.

The Tactical I've had for years. Used it when I was competing in IDPA. Now it's the "bump in the night" gun (with a TLR-1).

Status
Not open for further replies.