Let's talk pocket pistols

Ricklin

Small and big

The LCP is a revelation for me. My "big gun" is a gen 3 G19. Spats hit the nail on the head. The G19 is amazing when we consider power and capacity vs. size. That said, too darn THICK, esp. the grip.

I did try a Keltec P11 for a short time. I bought a jam o matic P11. A Keltec fluff and buff resolved the reliability issues, but truth be told it did not carry much better than the G19.

Am taking the LCP to the range today, and am looking forward to it. Don't know what took me so long to try an LCP.
Wait, I do know! I wanted to stay with 9mm.

The LCP carries really really well. I trial carried it over the weekend, I shall go make some noise today.

Armybrat

I've tried a variety of pocket pistols - The AMT .380 Backup, Kahr PM9, North American Guardian .32, Keltec P32 & P3AT, Kahr CT380, Remington RM380, & the LCP.

Got rid of the AMT, the NA, and the Keltecs. The PM9 was just a tad too big for my pockets, so gave that one to my son. The Remington is nice & all metal, but still a bit large for the pocket. Will keep it though.

The CT380 is my runner-up and gets carried about 20% of the time. My 10 year old LCP of course is the all around winner for EDC in the pocket. Bought this new Gen 2 a year ago to replace it (better trigger & sights), but somehow it hasn't yet been fired.

85_D1_B58_B_5_C6_D_45_F5_8_D7_B_07_BBD56_E95_DA.jpg

KLCane

KLCane,

When I took it out to my back yard range and mid shot the magazines would fall out. Time after time after time.

When I would fire and the gun would go from fire to safe.

Did this without fail.

Sig fixed the magazine drop but not the fire to safe.

Had a local gunsmith "fix it".

I just could not trust my life with it any more on a daily basis. A gun like a Sig P938 should never fail. I did not need a safe queen. All of my handguns have a purpose.
Interesting. I have only put a few hundred rounds through mine and have not had any issues yet. Hopefully, I won't have any problems.

SPEMack618

I sold enough Rugers to get a free LCP through their 4R program.

First pocket gun I've ever owned. Shoot it once a week and then clean it, keep out the dog hair and pocket lint.

At seven yards, it works just fine. Never had a hiccup when shooting either Federal 95 grn FMJ or Sig 100 grn FMJ.

youngridge

I carry a Glock 26 in the winter and Glock 43 in the summer IWB when not at work.

When at work I carry a Bodyguard 380 or my 638. Both sound guns. I personally don’t think you can classify the 43 as a pocket gun.

I had a sig 938 but had a lot of ammo feeding problems....it was a beaut of a gun, great piece of art...I just couldn’t get it to work for me and I wasn’t fond of the micro 1911 style. I did enjoy the trigger. The triggers on my BG, 638 and LCP are bearcats and they take a lot to get used to and a lot of practice to be accurate with. I carry my BG in a talon back pocket holster, looks just like a wallet, slightly smaller than the safari land holster. Would recommend the set up to anyone that doesn’t mind practicing a lot with a 380 and doesn’t get shy of the smaller caliber. Truly is a winner for real conceal ability.

I should add that at work I am in a professional setting. Khakis, button ups, the works....it’s horrible, so keeping it fully concealed at all times is very important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My niche as a shooter has been small guns. The Pico, the LCR9mm and now the nano which replaced my LC9S, are my three main contenders. I love the way they carry, the reliability and the fast shooting they offer.

EVOwNIH.jpg

This is a pic for illustration only. Not my LCP. I have owned 4 but moved on.
The Nano is behind it. Great shooter, totally reliable, great trigger for CCW,snag free for CCW and a 9mm.

mHX8gaE.jpg

Cosmodragoon

I'd also recommend the LCR. The shape allows it to fit better in a front pants pocket than some of the larger semi-autos on the list. It has a good trigger and very comfortable grips. With the right ammo, it's actually fun and relatively easy to shoot for a pocket gun.

That said, .357 magnum is going to be brutal out of any gun in this size or weight class. Heavy loads in .327 Federal are only a little better. Where this gun shines in my experience is with a lighter .327 load. The 85-grain Hydra-Shoks only feel like mid-weight .38 +p but getting upwards of 1250 fps from the short-barreled LCR, they're about the best bang for your comfort in a pocket gun. Of course, having six shots and the reliability of a revolver doesn't hurt either.

pete2

I have an LC9 and a 642. Both will fit in my pocket BUT I can't draw the LC9, I can draw the 642. I have not tried the LCP. I don't like the LC9 as a belt gun. The 642 even works in a Hume IWB holster, LC9 not so much. Too bad, I shoot the LC9 a little better than the 642. In a regular belt holster I can conceal a 686 4" revolver, don't like the weight. Have a couple Lightweight Commanders but haven't carried them yet.

1MoreFord

My Sig P290RS fits great in the pocket. I love my snub revolvers, but the Sig is both shorter and thinner. It disappears in my pocket.
I'll second the recommendation of the Sig P290RS although I generally carry mine in a Vedder LightTuck.

jstert

naa guardian 32acp or 22lr mini. steel. sturdy. great factory service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PlatinumCore16

SaxonPig and moosemike both have a Taurus 738, personally I went with the PT709. The thinness is what got me. Technically it is considered a "pocket pistol", but it seems a bit larger than some of the others suggested in here. For me, it's the width, or lack-thereof, that makes it for me. With the addition of a pinky grip for the bottom of the magazine, it makes it shoot very well in my slightly-larger-than-average hands. And, personally, I don't think it adds very much or at least none that I could really tell when carrying.

KLCane

My niche as a shooter has been small guns. The Pico, the LCR9mm and now the nano which replaced my LC9S, are my three main contenders. I love the way they carry, the reliability and the fast shooting they offer.

EVOwNIH.jpg

This is a pic for illustration only. Not my LCP. I have owned 4 but moved on.
The Nano is behind it. Great shooter, totally reliable, great trigger for CCW,snag free for CCW and a 9mm.

mHX8gaE.jpg
How do you compare the Pico?

BrokenBear

Gentlemen ...lots of folks get used to one brand of pants ...I am retired and in jeans 99% of the time and wear Lee, Wrangler and Levi jeans plus a couple no names

FYI the pockets in the Levis' are huge compared to all other brands hands down ... yes I can get my PF9 Keltec in any of them ....and yes I can functionally draw that PF9 out of any of them ....Yes I can get my S&W Shield in any jean brand front pocket {in holster of course} BUT ...only the Levi front pocket can I effectivly do a combat draw with my S&W Shield

Just saying
Bear