Let's talk pocket pistols

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't believe that LENGTH of the slide/gun matters as much as its bulk and the grip length. In most carry methods, the barrel will be pointing downward along the side of the body where an inch or so of length doesn't matter much. Grip/stock length is another story; that is the part that shows on the outside and can literally "stick out" in many concealed carry situations.

Jim

Edknn

My Sig P290RS fits great in the pocket. I love my snub revolvers, but the Sig is both shorter and thinner. It disappears in my pocket.

riffraff

I look at things a little different. Generally also I can't carry, is too impractical to get in the habit because I border a police state and often need to zig zag through it even if I'm going to places in my home state - occasionally for certain reasons I do and it's usually as much a concern about animals as humans.

Whatever I'm going to carry though that's pocket sized, needs to fit in my hand right and my pocket right - and I do not want anything too expensive - if I'm doing something wet or dirty so is the pistol, if it's 3:00 AM and I'm walking into the house soaked so is the pistol and it may get quickly toweled off w/ the inside of my shirt before I throw it someplace and go to bed. I want to give it the same regard as my wallet normally, not have it require extra care. If in a couple years I feel it's destroyed so be it.

A ~$230 Taurus Millenium G2, 9 mil, I like for the purpose - right sized and priced, works fine.

Mosin44az

I can recommend my Glock 43 for pocket carry. The Shield, though excellent, I found to be too big for a pocket.

A work friend just bought a SIG P 365, and once/if they get all the bugs out, I will definitely get one. Smaller than the G43, nicer to shoot, accurate, 10 + 1. A Game Changer if SIG gets it right.

My LCR .357 works for the pocket also, and is comfortable to shoot with every.38 load I have tried.

Last edited:

Kemikos

I don't believe that LENGTH of the slide/gun matters as much as its bulk and the grip length. In most carry methods, the barrel will be pointing downward along the side of the body where an inch or so of length doesn't matter much. Grip/stock length is another story; that is the part that shows on the outside and can literally "stick out" in many concealed carry situations.

Jim
Well, this thread is about pocket carry, so we're not talking about "most carry methods". Overall length is definitely a factor; I find that most subcompact 9mm pistols are long enough that part of the gun sticks out of my pocket; therefore they're not suitable for carrying in my pockets.

Grip length is certainly a factor too, but if the barrel is to long the group length won't be an issue anyway...

If your pockets are deep enough to fully cover a full length 1911, more power to you; I suspect you're in the minority then.

peterg7

IMHO the only true pocket gun is an LCP, or that size.

Don’t “like or trust” the .380acp? get over it. there’s no 9mm LCP size and weight so there’s no 9mm pocket gun.

Just because you can jam a gun in the pocket don’t make it a pocket gun.

The chart at mouse guns shows the true stats about size and weight.

FWIW I’ve been Carrying my LCP in my front pocket since 2010, every day in shorts, sweats, jeans it doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spats McGee

Administrator
I have been considering replacing my P938 which has filled the role of my pocket pistol in the past. When I carry on a belt I have gotten to the habit of carrying a G19 and am concerned about the difference in battery of arms. This will be worn when I don't feel like dressing around the G19 or its simply not reasonable to do so. . . . .

The Smith and Wesson Shield - especially if the rebates and cheap deals come back on them.

The Glock 43 - seems simple enough . . . .

I have also considered the Ruger LCR. Yes I know this can be had in 9MM but it is likely if I chose this it would be in .327. . . .

Thoughts?
I've edited for brevity (which may seem laughable coming from a lawyer), and I'll skip over the guns with which I have no experience. And of course, my usual caveat that free advice is worth exactly what you've paid me for it . . . .

I have 3 carry guns: Small, Medium, and Large. I also like to carry as much gun as I comfortably can. My large carry gun is my G19, but like you, it's just a bit much for carry sometimes.

My medium is a Shield in 9mm. When I was in the process of choosing a new medium gun, my three contenders were the XDS, Shield and G43. I shot all of them, not exactly side-by-side, but in pretty close time proximity to one another. I liked the Shield the best and when you threw in the incentives (for me it was a mag charger, 2 mags, and 2 boxes of ammo), the Shield was the clear winner. I haven't regretted it one bit. I carry in either a Stealthgear Revolution or a DeSantis Speed Scabbard, with 2 mags on the weak side.

If even the Shield is too much, or if I'm in a hurry to just stuff something in my pocket, I have an LCR. Technically, a KLCR, I guess. Chambered in .357, but I carry it with .38s. I don't think there was a .327 available back when I got mine. The trigger is long, but smooth. With .357s: (a) recoil is a bit on the punishing side; and (2) my groups are enormous. With .38s: (a) it's a *****cat; and (b) my groups are much more satisfactory.

I have to admit that several members (either here or THR, I forget) told me that I would have been better off with a .327. I don't really know much about the round, and I'm not going to trade mine in, but I mention that to say that members who may very well know more about ballistics and chamberings than I have said that .327 is a good choice.

adamBomb

I have 3 carry guns: Small, Medium, and Large. I also like to carry as much gun as I comfortably can.

Definitely agree with this. They all have their place. I realized once I finally got a pocket gun that I started carrying it 99% of the time though; guess size was really the biggest factor for me. I've got the MP bodyguard. Love that little gun.

To the OP - Dang those are some big pocket pistols. Not sure I would consider any of them pocket guns unless we are talking really large pockets. When someone says pocket pistol they are usually talking about the lcp, bodyguard, p3at, etc.

Last edited:

SaxonPig

My EDC. Taurus 738. Anything bigger is too big for comfort.

standard.jpg

Lohman446

Dang those are some big pocket pistols. Not sure I would consider any of them pocket guns unless we are talking really large pockets

I've been trying to figure out how this is. Some of my jean pockets are too small but most are fairly big pockets. I think that I buy jeans to fit my calves and my upper legs are not nearly as developed resulting in them fitting looser at the pockets.

adamBomb

I've been trying to figure out how this is. Some of my jean pockets are too small but most are fairly big pockets. I think that I buy jeans to fit my calves and my upper legs are not nearly as developed resulting in them fitting looser at the pockets.

Nice! I think my bodyguard is the biggest I can comfortably fit in my jeans pockets. It looks like a wallet in the holster and isn't any heavier than one.

moosemike

IMHO the only true pocket gun is an LCP, or that size.

Don’t “like or trust” the .380acp? get over it. there’s no 9mm LCP size and weight so there’s no 9mm pocket gun.

Just because you can jam a gun in the pocket don’t make it a pocket gun.

The chart at mouse guns shows the true stats about size and weight.

FWIW I’ve been Carrying my LCP in my front pocket since 2010, every day in shorts, sweats, jeans it doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed

dontcatchmany

I very comfortably carry a Shield 40 (also have a 9mm barrel and mags for it). Once I replaced the trigger with an Apex kit, it has become my favorite small pistol. It replaced a Sig P938 that lost my trust.

At times I pocket carry a Glock 27 and it does well but I prefer the Shield.

CDW4ME

Depends on pocket, I don't wear jeans outside the house anymore.

I carry a Glock 43 every day in Wrangler cargo, or Cabelas hiker front pocket.
Weak hand pocket, Glock 43 is a 2nd option to 1911 I'm concealing IWB.
Untucked shirt everywhere, my preference.

KLCane

I very comfortably carry a Shield 40 (also have a 9mm barrel and mags for it). Once I replaced the trigger with an Apex kit, it has become my favorite small pistol. It replaced a Sig P938 that lost my trust.

At times I pocket carry a Glock 27 and it does well but I prefer the Shield.
Why did the Sig lose your trust?

epl1007

Glock 42 is a sweet shooter. I know it’s a little big but the lcp 2 and the sig were too small for my hands and that’s why I went with the Glock. I’ll only be pocket carrying when I’m running outside

dontcatchmany

KLCane,

When I took it out to my back yard range and mid shot the magazines would fall out. Time after time after time.

When I would fire and the gun would go from fire to safe.

Did this without fail.

Sig fixed the magazine drop but not the fire to safe.

Had a local gunsmith "fix it".

I just could not trust my life with it any more on a daily basis. A gun like a Sig P938 should never fail. I did not need a safe queen. All of my handguns have a purpose.