Lets Be Honest

roy reali

Who has a semi-auto that has never, ever malfuntioned? 1000 batting average.

Who has a revolver that has malfuntioned? Even once?

Please, be honest and use your own experience. If you want to assign blame for the gun failure go ahead, but I just want to know weather these things happened.

Furminator

I have a Glock 22 that has never malfunctioned in any way in over 10 years. I had a S&W Model 686 back in the 1980s, the cylinder would bind up on it occasionally when shooting .357s through it. I had a S&W Model 19 that I babied shamelessly, hardly ever shot .357 mag through it (and never any 125 gr.). It blew up on me at the range shooting factory 158 gr. .357 mags through it. Sent it back to the factory, got a new M&P 40c to replace it. I still love and completely trust S&W revolvers, nothing made by man is perfect.

mikejonestkd

I have two buckmarks that have well in excess of 10K though them since their last misfires - which I blamed on cheap rem golden bullets which are well known as low quality/ reliability. With better ammo they are both 100% for the last 10K rounds.
My glock 17 has had one or two failures to go into battery in 15K rounds, otherwise it is almost 100%, and it was probably limp wristed in those failures ( showing a new to guns person how to shoot).

I have a model 19 smith that binds up in double action with very light handloads ( 125 gr lead at 675 fps) - but this is an ammo issue. The cases don't expand to fully contact the cylinder walls and they get pushed back out of the cylinder about a mm and seize up the revolver. with standard loads it is 100%

In general, my revolvers are very, very close to 100% with factory ammo. The semi autos are close enough for me too.

Last edited:

Mal H

Staff
Who has a semi-auto that has never, ever malfuntioned?
I do, a SIG P239 in 9mm. That one has never failed in over 11 years (roughly 5 to 6 thousand rounds, I don't count them precisely). That is the only one for which I can make that claim.

Revolvers - none to claim. All have failed at least once, and to my memory, all failed due to the ammo used, not due to a fault in the revolver. That's still a failure as far as I'm concerned.

[Oh, and the word is "malfunctioned".]

LafeHubert

Who has a semi-auto that has never, ever malfuntioned?

I have one as well. My Springfield Armory GI .45 has never failed, and that is with about 1,200 rounds down the pipe.

I have several revolvers that fit that category. My old 4-screw 8 3/8" S&W Model 29 is still cranking along, as is my 6" S&W 586. Three of my Rugers, the 5 1/2" .44 Mag Redhawk and both of the SS 5 1/2" Vaqueros, have never failed to fire.:)

LafeHubert

P97

I have a Ruger KP90DC that I carried through one 5yr CC term, and started this year on a 10 yr term, that has never jammed or misfired. I have shot it lots with my Reloads. It could have a problem the next time I shoot it, but it hasn't in the past.

Nasty

I'm almost ashamed to say it but...

Of all the handguns I've owned, only two have yet to fail at least once.

Those two are my stainless Bersa UC45 and my FEG PA63. Both have had several thousand rounds through them. The Bersa gets Speer 200gr Gold Dots and the PA63 gets Hornady XTPs.

All the rest...Glocks, Colts, Sigs, SA XDs, Walthers, Keltecs and others failed at least once during my ownership.

Should I bother to say that the PA63 is usually my summer carry and the Bersa my winter?

I've had great luck with revolvers (including the hundreds of them I used or supervised while running the base firing ranges) with very few issues, even with the brand new shooters I used to train (think of *millions* of rounds under my range duties).

The only revolver I CCW nowadays is a new production Charter Bulldog Pug. it has been 100% and very accurate thus far with about 2350 rounds of Speer 200gr Gold Dots.

virg

I have only had four autos out of probably around 50+ that I've owned over the years that have never malfunctioned in any way. A Glock 22 that is somewhere around the 6,000+mark, a Glock 27 that is somewhere around the 700+mark, a Beretta 92F approx 5,000rds, a Beretta 92sb compact approx 2,000rds. The rest had some type of malfunctions. Revolverwise out of 50+ guns I can only remember about three of them having malfunctions. One was a S&W 686 that had an over sized firing pin bushing that ended up being a recall problem, a S&W mod 10 that the cylinder would bind when it got hot, and a S&W mod 629 that the cylinder would jump out of lock when's round was fired and end up stopped between shells so that when it was cocked again it would rotate the last fired shell back up to fire again. So out of 50+ autos I've owned only 4 has never malfunctioned and out of 50+ revolvers ive owned only 3 have failed to function properly! The revolvers win for me for reliability percentage!

Last edited:
Of my semi-autos, my HK P7PSP and my High Power have never failed.

Of my revolvers (I own about 20), only one of them has suffered a failure of any kind. That was my circa 1917 Regulation Police in .32 Long. I picked it up one day and found that the main spring had snapped in half.

hoytinak

The only one that's never had any kind of malfunction has been my HK USP Compact 9mm. A little over 12yrs old a just over 60K trouble free rounds through it and it's still running strong. The only things that's been replaced is the recoil spring, mags, night sights and trigger/main springs (just cause I converted it to the LEM trigger). :)

sandbag

Two Autos

I have a Browning HiPower Mark IIIS in 9mm which has never malfunctioned in 16 years.Lots of rounds through it and the original spring.
I also have an Argentine Army Modelo 27 Colt clone that has never malfunctioned,even with semi wad 45 ACP ammo:D.
Unfortunately the Argentine pistol has about a 10 lb trigger:barf:
I have had a few malfunctions with a Model 66 that I had to return to S&W.
This was years ago on my LE job and my agency handled it.The cylinder would not open after a rapid fire string of 357 mag on occasion.

pogo2

My Experience

I own three brands of semiautos that have never failed to feed, fire and eject through thousands of rounds fired in a 12 year period. These are Glock (2 guns), Sig (5 guns) and Heckler & Koch (2 guns). I have had some failures with Colt, Kimber, and S&W semiautos.

I also have quite a few S&W, Ruger and Colt revolvers, and don't ever remember a failure from them. I always use good factory ammo and clean my guns after every shooting session.

30-30remchester

I have been to MANY firing lines over the years and am a range officer for way more years than I care to admit. During concealed carry classes I obsereve any malfunctions and make mental notes. Now I wish I had written them down. My observations that during classes there is approx. 95% failure rate with semi autos before the class is over. Most of these are operator error, failing to seat the magazine, failure to retract the slide all the way, ect. Most of the attendants are either new to guns or had very limited experence. The few revolver shooters we have have never had a malfuction, but again there a realitivly few to compare. We do bowling pin shooting at our club a couple times a month. Everybody there including myself has had stoppages from auto loaders. When revolvers come out the only malfuction was my old well worn and S & W model 19. It has developed a "tick" in on occasion the trigger cant be pulled till you release it and then repull. The gun isnt disabled it just some part inside that has finally worn would be my guess. This winter it will get repaired.

Daryl

All right, I'll play...

Who has a semi-auto that has never, ever malfuntioned? 1000 batting average.

I have a G23 I've had since the weekend of July 4th, and it's been flawless to about 700 rounds.

I have two that have malfunctioned.

One is a Taurus snub, and it had light primer strikes when I got it. A little filing on the hammer has fixed that.

The other is a Ruger Vaquero, and it malfunctioned with Cor-Bon 300 gr JSP's. Recoil caused a bullet to jump the crimp and protrude from the chamber mouth, so the cylinder couldn't turn. I solved the issue by re-crimping the remainder of the box of ammo, and have only shot handloads since.

Overall, I've had better reliability from revolvers, but I've owned some very reliable semi-autos.

Daryl

MLeake

As noted in another thread...

... which I think prompted the start of this one...

I had a Beretta 92 Centurion that never had a malfunction, and still have both a SIG P239 and a CZ75B that have never had malfunctions, with thousands of rounds fired.

The SIG P220 I used to own was in that category, until a rebounder spring failed when the gun was around 17 years old and had fired several thousand rounds.

I've had a Ruger SBH have a cylinder lock, but that was due to faulty ammo length on some factory .44mag, and a used S&W 28-2 with an unknown round count develop timing issues that sometimes prevented the cylinder from rotating into lock and/or the trigger from pulling all the way through.

In my overall list of guns I've owned, semi-autos have had many more problems than revolvers. But, some of my semi-autos have functioned perfectly, and some of my revolvers have run into issues.

Sorry, Roy, looks like I'm not alone in that experience.

blueorb

I have a CZ SP-01 Phantom that has never malfunctioned. I've had it for about a year and a half, have fired roughly 2000 rounds through it including many IPDA and Steel Challenge matches.

BarryLee

Truthfully I have experienced very few problems, and when I did all were when using what I call practice ammo which is cheaper and certainly lower quality.

The only gun that has never malfunctioned at all using any type of ammo is my Berretta 92FS.

Kreyzhorse

My Springfield TRP has never malfunctioned with about 1,000 rounds down range.

My Ruger LCP has never malfunctioned with about 300 rounds down range.

My Glock 22 had had a couple of of failure to feeds but it was a mag issue. Once the mag was replaced I've not had any more incidents however.

My Taurus M85 revolver froze solid on me at about 250 rounds.

My S&W 686, 637 and Ruger SP have never had any issues of any kind.

If you look at my guns as a whole, you'd have to say that my autos have been more reliable than my revolvers due to my M85. As far as my semi's go, out of three I've got two that are 100% totally reliable.

Last edited:

ZeSpectre

SIG 229 - 2k+ rounds and the only failures (maybe half a dozen) were a problem with my reloads, not the firearm.

CZ-75B (.40 S&W) Just over 1k rounds, zero failures

All of my other semi-autos have had the occasional failure but typically under conditions of extreme cold and/or dust.

On the other hand....

S&W 66 that was prone to binding up after 70-100 rounds.

Ruger Blackhawk with cocking issues (wound up being a bad center pin)

Taurus Gauchos (pair) both developed "light strike" issues.