Laser usefullness?

Shawn Dodson

A lasers main advantages are that of speed and accuracy. Think how the fastest competitive shooters are doing it. Red dot optics and target focus. That's exactly what the laser is doing.
Nice argument, but show us a top comp shooter who uses a laser!

The main problem with a laser is quickly locating the dot on the target. All movement and misalignment is magnified, which increases with range. Not an advantage, in my opinion.

With iron sights and red dot optics an experienced and competent shooter KNOWS exactly where to expect the sight(s) to be located -- on the gun. He doesn't have to search downrange looking for a dot.

As opposed to using a "target focus" I believe the term "soft focus" is more appropriate. The sights on the gun remain an important visual reference, but are not the subject of main visual focus.

I believe a visible laser sight has its uses, albeit rather limited uses. Most people would be better off spending their money on training and ammunition instead of a laser sight, in my opinion.

CWL

I have no doubt that they aid in target acquisition. Red dot = shoot.

I have serious doubt of anyone who aquires a laser in the mistaken belief that it will work as an 'intimidator" where the BG will back down once he notices a red dot on his body. When in a bad situation tunnel vision kicks in and you no longer have any clue what is going on except for a narrow beam of vision towards danger. You do not stop to visually check yourself for red dots.

Whenever I handle a gun, my vision is focused on front sight with target in background. I have never broken vision from sights to look at myself while moving & shooting.

NukemJim

To anyone who asks " Why buy/use a laser sight " I have 2 words: Physical Impairment

I do NOT like lasers. Give me my tritiums with a flashlight and I am a happy camper.

My mother on the other hand is 75 with eye troubles. She ASKED me to get her a laser for her Glock17. I was surprised to say the least. But when the laser was installed 5 out of her first 6 shots went inot the heart on a B-34. ( Mom is a retired RN she knows anatomy ) No way was she able to do that with iron/tritium sights.

Is it the perfect solution ? No. But I do not know how to get my mom new eyes. This way she still has a chance to defend herself.

So what is best ? Using what well trained/motovated/Physically OK people use best or giving a person with physical problems a chance to defend themselves using technology to help ( Gee that almost sounds like a firearm to me. using technology to defend oneself even though not a physically perfect specimen )

The above is only my opinion and as always may be in error.
I would not mind more discussion about this.

NukemJim:D :D :D

blades67

I'm not "anti-LASER", I've used IR LASERs in the military and found them to be highly effective when employed correctly.

Red Dot sights are not the same as LASERs.:rolleyes: A Red Dot sight is still a sight. A LASER device is just a pointer hung from the firearm in one manner or another. When you find a top IPSC shooter that will give up his Red Dot sight for your LASER I'll find more merrit in your argument.

As to finding you a shooter who's marksmanship skills have degraded because of a LASER device, just go to the Rio Salado range in Mesa and look for the Mall Ninja with the 9mm USP with his high dollar L.A.M. I didn't get his name because he was too tactical to be approached, but he was having a heck of a time trying to keep that dot perfectly still.

LASERs have their place. Any one choosing to spend the money on one should also train with it. It always comes back to training.

Like I said, the Way is in training.

Jeeper

I also second the argument that a laser is not the same as a red dot scope like a c-more. Since I have yet to try a high quality laser I cant really judge though

LWCmdr45

While laser sights have an "intimidation factor" and are an aid to those with poor eyesight, the reason I have one (Crimson Trace LaserGrips) on my back-up M640-1 is 'cause if I've gone to the ankle gun, I may be down on the ground and unable to index my iron sights properly.

hdm25

My mother on the other hand is 75 with eye troubles. She ASKED me to get her a laser for her Glock17.

...talk about cool!!

A 75 year old lady with a Glock 17!

Lord Grey Boots

I do know of one local resident that walked a glock mounted laser across some hoodlums that were making a move on him during one of Seattle's recent riots. They scrammed fast.

I think they would be more useful if the dot was more like 2" in diameter instead of 1/8" at say 10 yards.

NukemJim

"I think they would be more useful if the dot was more like 2" in diameter instead of 1/8" at say 10 yards"

Agreed wholeheartedly but my understanding ( poor & limited as it is ) is that due to Federal regs that limits the power output of the unregulated lasers. If you expand the dot you decrease the intensity of the dot. Assuming the dot is normally 1/8" you would have to enlarge it by a factor of 16. I believe that this would reduce the intensity by a factor of 256. I do not believe that it would be bright enought at that point to be useful.

I am NOT a laser expert however and I could be wrong (as always:p ).

NukemJim

Edward429451

I think lasers are OK. Not great or the best thing since sliced bread, just OK.

They're for that late night walk to the 7-11 or through the park. You could probably make a crowd of punks to stand down if you swept them with it. You'd still have to excercise tactical mindset though and have enough personality to command the situation...

If you train with it, you'd get used to it. Its a great low light point shooting aid. For multiple targets in low light up close by point shooting. Of course it could be argued that if one trains enough without one it'd not make a difference if you had it or not...

I have a Laser Devices BA-2 for my Glock and my dog loves chasing it. I used to be able to crash him into the wall chasing it, but alas, he's learning...I noticed that I did put Meprolites on it after having the laser for awhile.

The intimidation factor is iffy. Some may be intimidated by it. I was not. (Maybe I'm stupid?). I had a cop pull an MP5 on me equipped with a laser and I immediately became irate and yelled at him for it. He lowered the weapon. So it could go either way, it may intimidate him or it could provoke him. Glad I wasn't shot, its generally a bad idea to scream at a guy with an MP5 on you!

Realistically, you'd probably be just as well off if you put the laser money into ammo and practiced more. But inside a house (Like for the 75 yr old women) it'd be a definate asset. If Mr. Laser would bring the price down on them he'd sell more...$350. is enough to buy a back up gun which is more preferable than a laser...;) JMO...

Crimson Trace

Hi Shawn -

Thanks for the professional response. I always enjoy talking with other industry people.

You sound like you have shot lasers pretty extensively. I'd like to hear more about that.

re: competition. Lasers are not allowed in IDPA and IPSC is a day game. You know that. I do know that Todd Jarrett and Rob Leatham both use and like our product for training/personal use.
You seem pretty well connected, give them a call and ask them yourself what they think about our product.

We do have a long list of agencies who all agree that lasers are an advantage in the real world including: Units from ALL branches of the US Armed Forces, LASO, Orlando PD, Singapore PD, Las Vegas Metro, Austin PD, North Miami Beach, Tampa PD SWAT, Virginia State Police SWAT....

(Shawn - If you would like to contact representatives from these agencies, let me know. I'll put you in touch, Might be an interesting read on your web site)

I was drawing a parallel to the sighting system. You can say "soft focus" or "target focus", but both lasers and red-dot sights put the sight on the target. That's what makes them faster than irons.

That's where it stops. So you can like red-dot sights all you want. Heck, I'll even play along and agree (for sake of discussion) a red-dot is faster and more accurate. But my real concern with handguns and the application of a laser is Law Enforcement and Civilian Self-Defense, not playing games. When a red-dot sight is suitable for those application, let's talk.

I have shot both laser and red dot pretty extensively and have not noticed more of a tendency to "magnify movement" with a laser. The pistol is pointing where the pistol is pointing. The dot is going where the pistol is pointing regardless if the dot is on the pistol or the target. A laser has no magnification so I don't quite understand your point, nor have I experienced it.

Now a shooter will appear to be moving more comparing a laser to iron sights. Irons are a much coarser aiming device than a laser, so irons actually mask the movement that is really there. Lasers reveal a shooter's true wobble. Most shooters find it surprising to see how much they are actually moving when aiming. After that, they (again normally) settle in and move the pistol less. Making them a better iron and laser shooter.

You said it yourself, "...experienced and competent shooter KNOWS exactly where to expect the sight(s)..."

(sorry if I'm out of context here) BUT that sure sounds like a training issue, not a laser issue. Any experience shooter will know where their sight is, whether its a laser or a red-dot or irons. Again, this is a training issue.

Tell you what Shawn. You are located pretty close, only one state away. Heck, I'll even come up to Washington. You know where the Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS) is? That Marty Hayes' place in Chehalis, WA. Marty runs a real pro facility. 360 bay, low-light house, etc... I'll even buy all the ammo. You just come with an open mind OK? Are you up for that?

I'll address your final point, which was that money will be better spent on training and ammo.

I would never advocating substituting a laser for training. However, as you know Shawn, shooting is a perishable skill. This means, "use it or loose it."

So you spend money on training and ammo and you get some additional skills. Without continuing training, with time, you will degrade again. Quickly. I know if I take a couple weeks off, I have lost some speed.

So its not an either/or training/laser. I am saying that an equally skilled shooter with a laser will do better than an equally skilled shooter without.

Anway, I hope you will take me up on my offer to shoot. If we can't make it there, I'm sure you'll be at SHOT right? We'll be training with Orlando PD, so we'll have some access to good facilities. Would you like to join us?

Look forward to meeting you in person.

Best regards,

-Z

V-fib

Crimson Trace,

Does the "Shot in the Dark" Video offer the same info as the "basic" laser video found on your site?

Thanks
V-fib

Crimson Trace

V-fib -

"Shots in the Dark" was produced by our friends at Paladin Press and is not Crimson Trace specific. It is 75 minutes long and has much more info than the video that we produced.

We have a Christmas Special coupon available on our web site to buy the video at a reduced price of $25.

www.crimsontrace.com/report

Look on the last page.

Thanks for the support.

BTW, I'll have more info and address some other specific points later. Today has just been busy, busy, busy...

-Z

TaxPhd

Crimson Trace,

You were somewhat disingenuous when you stated:

"A lasers main advantages are that of speed and accuracy. Think how the fastest competitive shooters are doing it. Red dot optics and target focus. That's exactly what the laser is doing."

Shawn called you on it, and you dismiss him by saying that IPSC is a day game.

In the previous quote, you equated red dots and lasers, and they aren't the same. Different technlogy, different applications.

With that said, to those who question the lasers speed, the only empirical test (that I know of - there may be others) of the speed between laser and red dot (it might have iron sights - I don't recall) was conducted by JoJo Vidanes. IIRC, the test was written up in "Front Sight." It concluded that lasers were slightly faster.

In low light situations, a laser can serve a purpose similar to night sights. It can be too dark to see your sights, but light enough to identify the target. In those situations, a laser (or night sights) could be very beneficial.

Crimson Trace

Tax -

Sorry you thought I was being disingenuous...

I will attempt be much more clear here.

Not my intention to be evasive by any measure. I was drawing the parallel between both lasers and red-dots both putting the sight on the target. And both allowing for target focus. That point is really not disputable.

What I WAS saying they use the same concept for aiming. Not that one was superior to the other.

Heck, I'll go further and agree with Shawn and say that the big dot of a red-dot sight is much more suitable to the GAME of IPSC than a laser. The laser, however, is the only practicle solution for the street and gives you options a red-dot doesn't.

Get it?

If anyone doubts that a laser is faster and more accurate than irons, under MANY (not all) conditions, they need to try it themselves. A laser also give options not available to a shooter with irons. Until you put one in your hands and put shots downrange, its just an academic exercise.

My personal experience shooting IDPA type matches with lasers and with irons is that, with few exception, shooters with lasers are faster than those without.

Again, not saying irons are useless or forget them. Laser is just another tool in the box.

-Z

TaxPhd

"I was drawing the parallel between both lasers and red-dots both putting the sight on the target."

Unfortunately, they do not both do this. Lasers do, red-dots do not.

In debate, as in shooting, accuracy and precision are important.

Crimson Trace

:D :cool: :D

Must beat IT guy! Thanks for pointing that out, we'll change it.

Don't even worry about it, its NOT expired. Better yet just call if you want the video, I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again,

-Z

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Watching cats chase red laser dots on the floor, I wonder if lasers are merely the perfect bait for hunting predator species...seems that the hunter would only have to let the prety "catch" that dot, then pull the trigger.

:D :D ;)

3 gun

I have a CT on my 586. We do a steel drill at the range from 30'. 2 in the body, 1 in the head. Body plate is 18"x24" the head is 10" round. In bright daylight we tried out the CT and found that it is easily seen, even on the dirty white/lead splattered plates. My best time for a draw from a holster with hands in a surrender position was 1.99 sec. 3 shots, iron sights. I was able to cut 3/10s of a second off that by turning on the laser. The splits on the timer showed that almost all the time was saved by the first shot. Splits from one shot to the next stayed pretty constant.

Everyone who tried it was able to put up better times with the laser than without. Shooter skill level ran the range from USPSA "A" shooters to the "this is my first time trying this guy". The biggest improvement was from the "weakest" shooters. A second set of CT followed me home the next weekend.