Laser: Crutch or Useful

bigkrackers

I have never had a laser on any of my guns. I'm wondering if they are useful in conceal carry or home defense or if they promote bad habits and also, should new shooters use them?

I am not a new shooter but my wife is.

Cheapshooter

Useful for training. Limited usefulness in certain self defence situations. But, not a replacement for marksmanship. Never trust your life to something with batteries, and circuits! The problem with new shooters is if they learn to rely only on the laser they are inefective if it doesn't work, and may waste valuable time trying to get it to work.
Great aid in learning instinct shooting though.

Crutch? Iron sights are a crutch if you think about it. Anything that you use to make a job easier can be called a crutch if you want to give it a negative connotation, or called and "aid" (which a crutch is an aid) if you want to give it a positive connotation. It all depends on knowing how to use the tool properly and how you perceive using it.

Many professionals rely on batteries and circuits every day. There are good products and there are poorly made products, be that for electronics, guns, ammo, etc.

I do think lasers have a more limited use than many people perceive them to have. Folks often have the impression from TV that lasers work really well in broad daylight, that bad guys know when laser dots are on them, and that a dot on a bad guy always is very stable even from long distance free held guns, and these are not realistic perceptions most of the time.

mySig229

Both. Depending on your situation.

Crutch - dark environment and unsure of shooters location. Laser gives you up. If it's a pressure switch you may have nerves running a mile a minute and not be thinking about it.

Useful - Dusk/dark environment and shooter/mugger close. Laser makes them crap their pants.

Doesn't mean you should trust it. Stuff happens, things go wrong, etc...

Personally I'm going to be buying a sub-compact with a laser because they're small and harder to aim. Plus the crap their pants thing. Lol

Really though, I do muscle memory drills at least once a week. Use your carry gun and practice with it unloaded, with snap caps. Start with just holding the gun by your side/waist. Quickly pick a target/object and snap the gun up fast to where you think it should be aimed and FREEZE.

Don't adjust your aim. Look down the sights and move your HEAD to line the sights up and see where you aimed.

Pick another target and continue. You should see yourself getting better. Once your doing OK...try the snap cap after you've aimed to help with trigger control too.
You "should" be good enough to hit a man sized target @ 20ft without missing from muscle memory. But I don't usually recommend live fire exercises

As a training aid for novice shooters lasers have their place, but care should be taken to ensure that they do not become dependent upon them.

For self-defense, in low light situations they can help, but the issue of target identification and confirmation remains an important consideration, too.

Aberration

My C5L greatly helped me figure out my trigger pull.

Now I shoot with it mounted but laser off. No doubt in a high stress environment that it would improve a quick shot accuracy.

It also has a light, so no ID issues.

AndyWest

My P226 came with a light/laser (STL-900L). It's perfectly zeroed at 25yd but for some reason I just can't shoot it reliably when aiming with the laser. It's... distracting somehow. That said, the P226 is my nightstand gun as it also came with tritium sights, and I LOVE SIGs.

arizona98tj

You see this question asked fairly often....and a good question it is.

You'll often see someone make a snide response about the laser being a toy or crutch or some such thing and used only by people that can't figure out how to use iron sights. Of course, that same person has optics on all of his rifles....I guess that too is a crutch....if he can't hit a deer at 300 yds with iron sights, he shouldn't be out hunting. :D

I have Crimson Trace laser grips on my Ruger LCR. Of all the handguns I own, it is the only equipped in such a fashion. I did it because I could and also because the crude sights on the LCR can't help but benefit from the laser.

j3ffr0

Many people are faster and more accurate with lasers. It works for me, but you won't know if it works for you until you try it. They are VERY useful for self defense -- a situation in which most people don't use their iron sights and miss the majority of their shots because they are too focused on the threat.

As far as reliability -- CT lasers are more reliable than the guns they are on. I've been using lasers for 20 years without a malfunction. I've been shooting for less than a year and have already had more than a half dozen malfunctions relating to guns or ammo.

Alabama Shooter

Useful for training.

Good for intimidation and deescalation.

I heartily agree and add that they "may" be useful in more fluid situations. Situations where maybe you can not be able to get to a good position to aim properly and yet you still need to be able to hit a target. The real world is not as simple as a pistol range.

How useful they are depends upon the situation, training, shooter and equipment.

Newton24b

ive tested the lasers out, lets just say its not good for me. period. in broad daylight just put the lasers on a sw bodyguard through the modes. pulse flash mode gave me something like an epileptic fit.

thats in broad daylight, imagine not knowing that could happen when you need it in a dark room at night when that lovely criminal is trying to beat your head in with a hammer.

Skans

I would have added "toy" to the poll. Yes, I consider the gun lasers toys. But, what the heck, I have other junk I put on guns that could be classified as "toys" too, and I enjoy having them.

I will say that about the only laser system I really like is the Lasermax internal guide-rod lasers - I'll admit, I've thought about buying this for my Glock 17 on several occasions - price was the only thing that stopped me.

BGutzman

Best laser in the world wont improve your shooting skills if you don't have basic competence. They are a good, maybe even great tool, but just a tool!

They are the prefered sight of the Navy SEALS. Must not be too bad.

Laser sight are not the preferred sight of the Navy Seals. Infrared laser sights are a sight frequently used by the Navy SEALs in low light situations for certain applications where they do not expect their enemies to have NV capabilities. Visible laser sights are not used nearly as often as daylight point shooting, iron sights, and optics works great. For a group that relies on stealth, visible laser sights take away an element of being stealthy.