Member in memoriam
Any thoughts on these new pistols from Kimber; as they have received
some good press in the March '08 American Rifleman magazine? We have
the 4" Pro, and the 5" in stock; and they same like really nice 1911's
with an internal extractor. These carry the Kim Pro finish, like found on
the Warrior models. MSRP is $1421, but actually one can be had for 'bout
$1199~! :)

Wiskey_33

Opinions? i think they're dog ugly, but to each his own. Furthermore, I don't want to be carrying around a pistol that says SIS on it. That's what I call my sister.

I'd like them better if they didn't have the SIS marks on them, but then again, some probably like that.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Well Whiskey 33 My Friend-

Really, I had not even given the slide markings any thought~! :eek:

Quite frankly, the new SIS Kimbers are made for an elite unit of LAPD
detectives called "Special Investigation Section" which deals with
the most violent and well armed street gangs. This "new breed" of
detective [if you will] has too keep their weaponary concealed, 24/7;
or until such time that they have too swing into action, which is highly
likely in LA~! I like the way the rear sight is made, so if you lose the
use of your support arm in a firefight; you can still render the firearm
serviceable using a sterring wheel, door frame, curb, desk, or what-
ever to cock the 1911 style weapon. Something too think a'bout
when you are called to "Protect & Serve"~! ;)

We have some of the same type problems here, within my old agency.
Lots of times we were required too work alone; and when things start
going south, they tend too go in a hurry. Back up units are often "out
of pocket", so you are left to fend for yourself~!

Last edited:

sholling

Kimber makes a purdy pistol but if I were going to spend that much on a full sized "combat" 1911 I'd invest in a Springfield TRP. I'm just more into function than looks, although the TRP is a looker. If I needed a concealment 1911 then I'd look at light weight commanders from S&W or Springfield.

Wiskey_33

the new SIS Kimbers are made for an elite unit of LAPD
detectives called "Special Investigation Section which deals with
the most violent and well armed street gangs.

I think any manufacturer of 1911 pistol claims that they've got one that the LAPD uses.

Just another marketing ploy.

Again, to each his/her own, but like the post above, spend the money on product and not the marketing.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Att: Whiskey 33 My Friend-

Its not like I'm gonn'a jump out and buy a Kimber SIS; as I have a Les Baer Thunder
Ranch 1911 for up close, and personal encounters of a serious nature~! ;)

Wiskey_33

Its not like I'm gonn'a jump out and buy a Kimber SIS; as I have a Les Baer Thunder
Ranch 1911 for up close, and personal encounters of a serious nature~!

You're a lucky man! I'll have a few "show off" 1911's one day. As for now, I gotta stick with the GLOCKS.

Sturmgewehre

I was surprised the SIS was adopted by the LAPD SIS unit. The pistols have a slick as snot finish on them coupled with the SIS serrations that have absolutely no bite. Racking the slide under anything less than ideal circumstances is difficult at best.

The rest of the gun shows typical Kimber quality (or lack thereof). I checked out a couple at my local dealers and the very first thing I noticed was the large, ugly, unfinished sprue marks on the top of the grip safety.

sis_marked2.jpg

For reference, this is what a finished pistol looks like:

springer_sprue.jpg

Let's not mention I would no more buy a gun with SIS cut into the slide than I would buy one with SWAT cut into the slide. I would feel goofy as hell standing there on the line with my wanna-be police pistol knowing full well I'm not a member of SIS.

But, that's just me. :D

Jart

The thing has the potential to hoist my irony flag.

The absence of type II baggage strikes me as a good idea but will likely preclude its appearance on the CalDOJ approved roster. This would make it into a "Police only - serfs need not apply" product as far as a California citizen is concerned.

Something about Kimber marketing a "California police only" product gives me a mild case of agita, but that's probably just me.

The serrations, such as they are, are probably a "love 'em or hate 'em" affair; I'd be firmly in the latter group. The 10-8-ish rear sight is a sound idea for those that train in its use but I can't see anything that it would do for me that a GI guide rod wouldn't do as well. As a high drag, low speed non-operator, it would feel a tad over the top in my possession.

HappyGunner

It's the price

Back in Feb. of 04 I bought a Kimber custom TLE the 5".45acp. The SIS is the exact basic all steel Kimber with the light rail mine does not have and the other little fancy details. I paid $745 NIB Plus tax. It's been my best Kimber and I have two others a 4"&3".

I stopped at the Dealer that sold me all three of my other Kimbers and saw the new SIS under the glass I said to the owners son who had sold me all my other Kimbers is that the new 5" .45 Kimber? He answered yes. I stood there he stood there. He never even said would you care to hold it? I could see the price tag it was $1,450. I just grinned and walked away.:rolleyes:

I guess if you work for your parents in a firearm store it matters less if you make a sale or even give it a try.;) He must have thought I was going to him beg to see it.:mad:

gunzblazin

Kimber SIS

I'm with Ala Dan on this one (I guess he is saying he is interested in one). But I AM diggin the slide serrations. I get so tired of seeing the same old designs out there I have to give Kimber kudos for being a little creative with the appearance(on a century old design!). As far a Kimber quality goes I own a Custom II TLE with the external extractor. It has been one of my favorite guns. I'm sorry to hear of Kimber customers who have problems b/c I have been so happy with mine. Not one failure for me and very tight. I don't shoot it as much as i would like to but it has earned my trust as a tool that I can count on if necessary. Sturmgewehre is right about the casting marks, but my has the same mark and has never failed me. That wouldn't be a hard thing to fix at the factory. But it would not keep me from buying a Kimber and the SIS is on my list. As for my TLE I have transformed it somewhat into what I feel is a handsome 1911, although others may disagree..... Thinking about going back to the flat mainspring housing though.

Attachments

• IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_7065.jpg
    IMG_7065.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 177

Wiskey_33

My argument is that if I'm going to drop that kinda cheese, it had better look good. I'm not a huge fan of machine marks, blemishes, lazyness...

I can go out and spend less than 1000 on a 1911 and have it look better.

Dan Wesson Bobtail here I come.

jeo556

I think it's hillarious that a "plain clothes undercover unit" would carry a pistol with it's acronym on the slide large enough to read from across the street. I hope that that this undercover LAPD unit works from afar so that nobody notices the advertisement on the slide. :D You gotta be kiddin me.....Not to mention that the slide serrations are ugly as hell!

Jeo556

Sturmgewehre

The problem is when a company like Kimber charges you $1400 for a handgun (in the same price range as a Les Baer which has no flaws) that has obvious flaws in finishing... you can only imagine what the gun looks like on the inside.

That lack of attention to detail on the outside translates to issues like this on the inside:

swDC1.jpg

That's what a faulty MIM disconnector looks like.

For $1,400 you could have had a Les Baer which has machined parts that are properly finished vs. a MIM part that's unfinished and hastily slapped together yet sold for a premium price.

Sorry, Kimber sucks.

gunzblazin

Whiskey-- I dig the bobtail design too. That's what I'm talkin about.. style!! Just surfed over the the CZ website...drooool. Too bad I want a rifle first.... and an SIS and a HK45 and and....... does it ever end? My question is does the bobtail design help at all with CC? Is it just looks? Sorry to go off topic a bit.

Sturmgewehre

The TRP costs about $1,250. Here's a $2,300 Ed Brown Kobra for comparison.

brown_sprue.jpg

Now you can understand why I say the TRP is the best bang for the buck. It totally trumps anything Kimber has ever produced. Kimber likes to stamp their pistols "Custom Shop" when the gun has never seen the inside of a custom shop... but they will charge you custom shop prices.

The TRP has hand etched serial numbers on the barrel, slide and extractor which tells you the gun actually went through a real custom shop for hand fitting... something you won't get from Kimber for the same money.

Wiskey_33

Blazin,
to respond to the question about the bobtail, yes, the design helps in concealing. My main reason for selling my 1911's was that the butt stuck out too bad. It was like trying to conceal an square butt S&W. With the rounded off edge, it hides better.

Hopefully it will work out that way for me. I'm now trying to decide weather I want it in 10mm or 45, since I've already got a 10mm.