Kel-tec for ccw

hardluk1

I also carry a pf-9 and have had no problems with it . It will make anyone a great carry gun with mid to smaller hands but it does carry what can be a higher recoiling gun for its wieght. So let your wife deside not you. Take her to a indoor range and see what they have to rent and maybe even a customers gun to try. I am always swapping handguns with others to try out. Just let her deside. My other CC gun is a charter arms ultra lite at 130z, now my wife would rather shoot it than a old taurus model 85 i carried for years with a nice soft rubber grip and action job and it is a 21oz gun of the same size but with a different grip angle. I can't feel the differnce but she can and likes the lite wieght, go figure..

CWPinSC

I carried a Keltec PF-9 for two years and loved it. Mine was 100% reliable, and small and light enough to conceal almost anywhere on my person. It was plenty accurate at SD ranges. My only two complaints were the harsh kick and long, heavy trigger pull. For these reasons (and a higher round count), I traded up for a Springfield XD9SC.

phrogpilot

I have a Ruger LCP and a Keltec PF-9; I carry both depending on my dress needs; Ruger in the pocket, Keltec on the waist. I love them both and their reliability is such that I trust my life that each will function if called upon. Neither are comfortable range guns, each has snappy recoil. My wife carried a Kahr K9, which was steel and extremely comfortable to shoot. As others have stated, she'll need to try these out before committing to a purchase.

imthegrumpyone

Don't have a PF-9 but I do carry a P-40 as a work gun every day, great cc. Better half has a P3AT on her 18-7, they're like anything man made, you get a good one or bad one. :D

adjc

goes everyday

kel tec p-11. my ED carry and has over 1500rds thru it w/no problems. +p corbon powerball, good reliable gun.

Attachments

• DSC00051.JPG
    DSC00051.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 44

DasFriek

javabum-- Thank you all for your thoughtful and informative posts...But i have decided to go with the Ruger LCR.

I just spent 5 minutes explaining to you why your most likley making a mistake buying your lady an LCP,then i saw the LCR and was happy i just had to hit the backspace button alot :)

Im no revolver man,but you made a good choice.
The 38spl is a very reliable round and the LCR is a great choice for lite weight and size.

Ill just throw this out there to ya,have you looked at the Walther PPS 9mm?
Weight is about the same as is the caliber effectiveness,the size is just different.
Its a breeze to conceal since its so thin,very reliable and relatively low recoil for a smallish concealed weapon.
Im just mentioning this in case she doesn't like revolvers like me :)
The LCR is a gun almost no one here would say isn't a good option.

NWCP

I was looking for a subcompact 9mm and considered a PF9. Then I handled a Kahr PM9. I purchased the Kahr and have never looked back. I own a P3AT. For an inexpensive pocket pistol it works well enough, but the trigger on the KelTec pistols leave much to be desired. If the only weapon I have on my person is a subcompact 9mm I want to know that it will fire every time I pull the trigger, it will feed any self defense load without a problem and the trigger is smooth. That's why I own a Kahr over the KelTec. Cost, while a consideration, is secondary when it comes to my selecting any given firearm.

sixxgunnernick

Glocks melting?

My 23 and 26 are perfect..never heard of that. The lcr melts around the barrell above or below the feeding ramp. Yes the kahr 380p is awesome cost more but worth it by far..I know you were talking about the nine compared to the kel tec 380..

DasFriek

My 23 and 26 are perfect..never heard of that.

I was joking as i thought you were also about the LCR melting.
That sounds like a serious design flaw that should be addressed.

sixxgunnernick

melting..

Thought you were serious...yeah its on you tube. Try 'ruger lcr' or 'ruger lcr melting'. I like ruger products..never shot an lcr but me personally I would get a metal revolver..that just seems like too much plastic for a revolver.Like a S and Wesson .38

DasFriek

Thanks for the info,thats some new info for me.Granted i know little about revolvers.But im am kinda experienced with polymer auto's.

This is my theory,its not "flame cutting" the issue is "polymer flexing" allowing the cylinder to come into contact where they say the frame is melted and its pushing/stamping itself into the frame.This is evident by the scored cylinders on every high edge.
Of course id say the heat and flame makes it worse by softening everything.

This is a wild guess,but makes more sense when i seen the cylinder being so scarred up.
Anyways i think Ruger may have a big mess on their hands if this becomes more regular.

sixxgunnernick

I'm not a revolver owner as well but I had a kel tec 380 and it was junk. The lcp is better but kahrs 380 is better than both put together. When I'm having a bad day I think about my kahr p380 and everything is better..

Gregory Gauvin

Kel-tecs are the best thing since D-rings on a key-chain for carrying. However, rarely do I walk around with excess junk in my pocket. Just don't want the extra annoyance. Most uncomfortable thing to shoot. Almost on par with one of those weird straight stocks you find on FALs where you can't get a good sight picture without herniating a disc in your neck or getting a sore trigger finger from an SLR-105. I would describe the trigger pull as a glock with NY trigger and a wad of bubble gum jammed in the connector. Even with the trigger shoe.

kinoons

I saw that the walther pps had one recommendation and I just wanted to throw another vote in for the pps. I have the Pps in .40 and love it. The .40 is a bit stout in the recoil department, but I understand the 9mm is more user friendly. If you're looking for a ccw type 9mm I'd look at it.

DasFriek

The last post the OP had he decided on the LCR,wich is a good choice imo except for this "melting" issue.

I saw that the walther pps had one recommendation and I just wanted to throw another vote in for the pps. I have the Pps in .40 and love it. The .40 is a bit stout in the recoil department, but I understand the 9mm is more user friendly. If you're looking for a ccw type 9mm I'd look at it.

I suggested the PPS 9mm as caliber wise its about equal with the .38spl ballistically.And i gotta say the 9mm is a perfect match for the PPS's size as its a pleasure to shoot with very manageable recoil from such a smallish weapon.

sixxgunnernick

Any issues..

with the Walther? I had a p-22 and it kept locking up on me. Smith and Wesson treated me very bad..did not take care of it. I got my hands around a walther nine and it felt really good. Just after the p-22 locking up and bad treatment from their distributor I'm really hesitant on a walther.

Mustang 6502

Pf-9

Bought a Kel tec Pf-9, and it's shoots straight. The problem is the tigger hurts when you fire the weapon and stays hurting for a couple of hours later. Bought a Ruger LCR and it's a much better weapon. Sold the PF-9.