Kel-tec for ccw

javabum

I am going to be in the market to purchase a gun for the wife to carry and have been looking at getting her the Ruger LCR....But i saw an article in a magazine i get and saw the Kel-tec PF9 9mm Luger.
My question is....Does anyone on here have one.If so could you fill me in on
your opinions of it.I know a revolver will work with less issues,but the low round count is an issue for me.Plus the Kel-tec it is approx.1 oz. lighter.

Pro's...con's....Any and everything on this little weapon will help.

thanks.

EEL92fs

I carry a PF9

Make sure your wife shoots it before you buy one... OUCH It comes with a pinky extention... Put it on... I am 6'2'' 200lbs the thing can jump out of my hands.

Do some research on this site with the search option and you will find all the info you need. If you get one you want one after certain S/N with all the updates (I dont remember the number but its all on here).

javabum

Well it seems that if i do go the Kel-tec route it's a 50-50 shot of getting a good one from the posts i read.

hummm....what to do.thanks EEL92fs....decisions decisions.

Southern Rebel

I own, shoot, and carry a PF-9. Several friends do also. None of us have had any issues with reliability. IMO, it serves very well for the purpose intended by manufacturer - self defense carry and not necessarily a range gun.

I will say that I would be surprised if your wife liked the gun. The recoil is less than pleasant for me and I have a Ruger 44 magnum that I shoot quite a bit at the range and do not find it as uncomfortable to shoot as I do the PF-9.

Bill DeShivs

If the 50/50 equation were true, Keltec would have been out of business after the first year.
Keltec guns are very good carry guns. As with ANY carry gun-no matter the manufacturer, test fire the gun for function and reliability.

javabum

Bill DeShivs,i didn't say it was true,i said it was a "50-50 shot of getting a good one from the posts i read".Don't make it out to be something its not.
All i wanted was some info,if you have some great if not great.I'm not putting them down.Just looking to get something reliable for the wife.If it goes bang every time i pull the trigger and she can control it and it is comfortable to hold then that's what we will get.I dont care about looks or anything related to it.
All i want is a gun that is reliable,nothing less nothing more.

And thanks to those of you for your help.

Mastifflover

Get her the LCR

Before anyone else says it take her the gun shop and let her handle them both to see which one she prefers. I would be willing to bet however that she would be more likely to practice with the LCR. I have one and it is great for a snubby revolver. I liked it much better than the Airweight Smith that I had.;)

isanchez2008

Take it a step further. Don't just handle them, try them out. Many ranges in large cities will rent pistols out. I just borrowed 4 Glocks from my friend to test out. My girlfriend was interested in the 27, 36, and 23. I played with the 21 :D We ran lots of rounds through each one and she said she still preffered my S&W J-frame over the glocks. Even though she shot the 36 as well as the J-frame :confused:

raftman

My experience with Kel-Tec has been very positive. No reliability problems after hundreds of rounds, and their conceal-ability makes me reluctant to carry anything else. They take some getting used to, though

troy_mclure

i love my kel-tec p32, and after the "fluff and buff" it runs as smooth as my xd, for about 300 rds.

its a daily cary gun for me. i went with the p32 over the p3at because of ammo issues. i highly reccomend it as a pocket gun.

and google kel tec fluff and buff, lots of good info on the site as well.

raftman

I didn't even have to do any fluff and buff. I just keep it clean and it's been perfect. The only thing I've done is added a lefty belt-clip which comes in handy from time to time.

sixxgunnernick

kel tec?

Your wife? Money is not a factor..a couple hundred more is worth it. What is comfortable to her is what matters. Make sure she handles a kahr in the wide variety to choose from.

pax

If your wife is already an experienced, enthusiastic, excellent shooter, then one of these tiny little guns is just the ticket.

If she's not, it's almost certainly not.

pax

Walt Sherrill

I've had several Kel-Tecs and all have been good. I carry a PF-9, today. (I've also had a Kahr P9, shot a PM-9, and recently gave my P3AT to my son, a cop, for eventual use as a last-resort/backup gun.)

I would NOT recommend the Kel-Tecs for your wife unless she has a chance to shoot one, first. They can be unpleasant and challenging. A Kahr P9 (which is only a fraction larger and a bit heavier) is a much more comfortable gun to shoot, and would arguably be a better gun for her.

Look for a used one, as they're a good bit more costly -- but a much more pleasant gun to shoot.

Last edited:

kymasabe

Why does it have to be a 9mm? I've been carrying a Kel-Tec P32 for years in my pocket. Super light, light recoil, 7+1, still makes a .30cal hole in whatever you shoot at. It's a very managable little gun. Forget about "fluff and buff" with Kel-Tecs, was a P3AT issue years ago (and the reason I don't own a P3AT anymore). My P32 has been flawless right out of the box and I have a couple of thousand rounds thru it already. I use Winchester White Box ammo for practice and Winchester SilverTip for carry.

michael t

My wife carries a P-32 tried a lot of pistols P-32 is the one she likes shoots and carries. Rest became part of my collection Rather have her packing a 32 than nothing at all.

Walt Sherrill

Why does it have to be a 9mm? I've been carrying a Kel-Tec P32 for years in my pocket. Super light, light recoil, 7+1, still makes a .30cal hole in whatever you shoot at.

It doesn't have to be a 9mm. A .32 acp is certainly better than nothing -- but so is a pointed stick.

Why a 9mm? Why is being shot by an M1 Carbine likely to be more damaging than being shot by a .32 acp? The .32 has a larger diameter bullet than the .30 caliber carbine round...

The hole made by a .32 will be nearly the same size as the hole made by a 9mm, but the amount of tissue damage done won't be similar, and the effect won't be the same on the attacker -- unless your shots all hit the central nervous system -- something that happens in movies and novels, but not so frequently in real life.

It's always a trade-off, and if you're comfortable with a .32, stick with it. But hole-size is only part of the factors that should be considered.

Coastal

I have a PF-9 that I pocket carry all the time. Mine feeds and functions with any kind of ammo I have tried in it. It does have some recoil due to it's small size, but this small size is what makes it easy to carry and conceal. If it wants to jump out of your hands, you're not holding it properly.