Kay Jeweler's - Really?

Technosavant

Tom Servo said:
To be honest, I've yet to see a gun-related boycott be effective at all.

I've seen it on a more local level. A chain of auto dealerships and a regional grocery chain pulled their signs down a few years ago. They finally admitted that it wasn't worth losing the possibility of sales.

As for Kay, I prefer real jewelers to cookie cutter mall shops. Meh, I wasn't in their market segment anyway. Kisses may begin with "k" but my jewelry shopping starts elsewhere.

Koda94

Tom Servo said:
To be honest, I've yet to see a gun-related boycott be effective at all.
that we know of. I dont imagine it in the best interest for a corporation to issue a public statement to go ahead and bring your gun but rather to just follow local law. Those are wins IMO but we may never know what motivated that response. Recently in my city MDA petitioned the local Fred Meyers heavily to prohibit open carry and their response was to continue to follow local laws. I’m not certain if there was any counter campaign from the gun rights community but MDA had no effect on policy.

longspurr

There are alternatives to anti gun establishments.

When I bought my wifes wedding / engagement rings, the owner of the jewelry store showed me the basement of the building. He had collected a fair amount of Africa's big game and had it mounted. I'm talking museum quality full body mounts.

Did I mention he is a member of Safari Club?

Rather than think about boycotts, reach out and find gun club members with businesses.

SPEMack618

I actually decided not to purchase an engagement ring from Kay Jewelers upon reading the sign going in to make the purchase. First time I went in on a scouting mission, I'd been kind of oblivious and didn't see the sign.

Second time, when I was planning to discuss financing, I did see it and decided
buy local.

Would you count the one against S&W?
That was a boycott against a manufacturer who sold out, and that was certainly felt by the company.

For the purposes of this thread, I was referring to boycotts against businesses who ban guns from the premises.

That was a boycott against a manufacturer who sold out, and that was certainly felt by the company.

For the purposes of this thread, I was referring to boycotts against businesses who ban guns from the premises.

Right! How is that >decade old boycott of Bank of America coming along? How about Jared's? Have we driven them under or forced them to change their evil ways? Oh, wait, they are who owns Kay's.

The first thread here on boycotts was about Ben and Jerry's. We haven't done them too much harm.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79208&highlight=boycott

Cries of boycotts seem to be more about blowing off steam and claiming bravado than actually accomplishing anything.

Unfortunately, you're right, DNS. In my observations, people won't follow suit. I guess it's today's culture of apathy and short memory. I constantly get poked by my peers/coworkers because I won't spend my money at certain places anymore that don't welcome law abiding citizens.

I never had any inclination to do business with Kay/Jared (or any big box jewelry store). Their choice in what clientele they want is their choice. They're a private business. I reject any laws that controls/regulates said choice. With that, I will gladly continue to spend my money elsewhere.

Another reason to shop with the local folks.

Being local doesn't mean you are pro gun. It just means you are local. There are a goodly number of local, private businesses that are anti-gun. A lot of the big chain stores (non local), jewelry or otherwise, have no posted issues with allowing customers to CCW in their stores.

SaxonPig

Obviously they are idiots if they think this will deter criminals. I contact stores with such signs and them what I just wrote. I also tell them they lose my business.

BarryLee

I suspect many of these signs have more to do with insurance companies, lawyers and minimizing liability than actual safety/security. Also, these decisions are generally made at the corporate level, so expressing your displeasure to the local manager or employees is probably pointless. If it really bothers you shop somewhere else or simply ignore the signs and enjoy your day.

Koda94

from time to time threads suggesting boycotts like this come up on gun forums. I usually see replies from those that don’t shop at stores that post gun free zones. Personally my strategy is to favor businesses that welcome law abiding citizens whenever possible and I think its important to let the other businesses know why they are losing you as a regular customer.

Sometimes I wonder if the percentage of gun owners in America that does follow through with shopping elsewhere boycotts is... not really that small. After all, half of America owns guns. Like I said earlier, due to the nature of the subject we may never outright now but its possible these boycotts have had a positive affect in our favor. Every store that responds with a "we will follow local law" is a win in my book...

Starbucks
Fred Meyer/Kroger
Home Depot

I don't get your point.

Really? Then let me spell it out for you. You said...

Obviously they are idiots if they think this will deter criminals.

To which I responded ...

Obviously, they are not idiots and do not think the sign will deter criminals or they would put up "no robbery" signs.

You suggested they would be idiots for posting a sign to stop criminal activity. If they were doing this, they would not post a no guns sign because that isn't the criminal activity they are concerned with (and likely isn't even illegal). They would post the actual criminal activity they were trying to stop, such as "NO ROBBERY." However, they didn't post a 'NO ROBBERY' sign. They posted a "No Guns" sign.

Business owners know that posted rules will not stop criminal activity, hence why they don't bother with "No Robbery" signs.

So no, the business owners don't think the signs are going to stop criminal activity and are not the idiots you intimate they are for doing so.

Hal

The first thread here on boycotts was about Ben and Jerry's. We haven't done them too much harm.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=boycott

Actually - that's not correct.
Well prior to that,in 1999, there was the highly succssful boycott of Kmart over the treatment of Tom Selleck by the "queen of nice" (Rosie O'Donnell).

(Boycotts used to be discussed in the Legal and Political forum.)

While on the subject, let's not forget also the Shot Show and how successful their boycott was when the shows participants pulled out over the law suits.