Kay Jeweler's - Really?

Picher

I was "greeted" by this sign on the door to Kay Jewelers recently:

“No person shall carry, possess, have under the person’s control, convey or attempt to convey a firearm, concealed firearm, dangerous ordinance, handgun, or deadly weapon on or onto this land, parking lot or premises.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The legality of their sign seems somewhat grand as they are attempting to ban all weapons anywhere around the store, including what is a public parking area in front of many other stores which don’t display any similar signs.

The fact that I had just left the shooting range with my target rifles in the truck really turned me off. I will never enter their store again. Hopefully, others who are sane will agree and will boycott the store.

spacemanspiff

I would think that such signage is more to appease their insurance company rather than project their feelings about guns. Think about it. Their entire industry is a target for robbers.
If the signs only have what you put in your post, theres nothing about being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law blah blah blah, then its not about the 2nd Amendment, its about insurance. Thats my opinion, not worth a whole heck of a lot these days.

You could write a letter to the store addressed to its manager to inquire about the sign. That would be a better first step than to start a boycott.

Where I am, most jewelry stores are in shopping malls, which may or may not post signage preventing carrying. Others are in actual stores, such as Fred Meyer Jewelers. I contemplated this earlier this week when I went to complete the anniversary gift I bought for my wife. I opted to go to Fred Meyer Jewelers instead of a place like Zales or Kay, even though both those are in shopping malls, cause I knew I wouldnt have to worry about leaving my gun in the truck at Fred Meyers.

Kosh75287

“No person shall carry, possess, have under the person’s control, convey or attempt to convey a firearm, concealed firearm, dangerous ordinance, handgun, or deadly weapon on or onto this land, parking lot or premises.”

Prolly saved yourself some money, not doing business with 'em . If they can't spell O*R*D*N*A*N*C*E correctly, what kinda jewelers can they be?

Bpcurious

I'll have to agree it simply sounds like insurance signage.

If they can't spell O*R*D*N*A*N*C*E correctly, what kinda jewelers can they be?

I have a feeling your attempt at insulting Kay Jewelers is going to backfire onto the OP....

The fact that I had just left the shooting range with my target rifles in the truck really turned me off.

LOL, the sign should have turned you off regardless of whether you had just left the range or not.

I take it that you don't do business with Kay Jewelers on any regular basis. It has been corporate policy at least since 2009.

If they can't spell O*R*D*N*A*N*C*E correctly, what kinda jewelers can they be?

So if the issue is spelling that determines the character of a person or business and the spelling error resides with the OP, then what are you saying about the OP? Do you know if the spelling error was with the OP or with the jewelry store?

So then apparently all these people must have been really poor at what they did as well as they were bad spellers...
http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/2012/01/24/15-famous-thinkers-who-couldnt-spell/
http://theweek.com/article/index/246092/11-historical-figures-who-were-really-bad-at-spelling

Einstein was probably a terrible physicist, huh?

I assure you, there is no relevant statement that can me made between a single typo and a person's or business's overall quality or capabilities.

Nathan

If the were serious about this, they would do an ad on TV, saying that all employees and customers are guaranteed disarmed. . . .over $500,000 in inventory every day. Average police response time to the alarm is 30 min. Criminals welcome!

As for Hollywood. . . .I'm thinking about giving to Kim Jong Un's reelection campaign! :eek:

Davey

Jared's Galleria has the same sign. Kay and Jared are the same company.

Here in Illinois the signage is standardized by the state police. Because of that the sign at Jared's entrance is completely meaningless.

I carried my .45 into Jared's just yesterday while shopping for my wife.

I giggled a little inside.

redhologram

My husband has been told many times, not to waste money on jewelry for me. Instead buy me more guns and vice versa.
I do my best not to give my business to any place that is not gun friendly. Is that always feasible? No. But I do it as much as possible.
Signage like the OP mentioned, makes me think pacify insurance company.

g.willikers

People actually shop those places to buy jewelry at retail?
Unless they have an interesting sporting goods department, there wouldn't seem to be any reason to even go in the place. :)

BarryLee

Can Key, ban firearms from it's parking lot?

Obviously it depends on local laws and if they can actually legally ban guns from their property. If they can ban guns from their property and if the parking lot is considered part of their owned or leased property than I assume they can.

Koda94

spacemanspiff said:
You could write a letter to the store addressed to its manager to inquire about the sign. That would be a better first step than to start a boycott.
I agree with this. A boycott would be ineffective if they didnt know why.

To encourage gun-rights community to send letters they would see how much buisness they are losing. There is also a small chance a CEO would see the logic behind creating a gun free zone.

http://www.kay.com/ContentView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10101&cmsId=holiday_contact_us# (there's an email link in the upper right corner)

Maybe copy the text from this card: http://snoballs.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/no-guns-no-money.gif?w=538

candr44

If I see one of these signs at a business, I just ignore it. Here in Florida its not the law only store policy. If I'm carrying concealed, they aren't going to know it and I'm not going to tell them. That way neither one of us has anything to complain about. If they do find out your carrying, all they can do is ask you to leave.
Having said that, I have never seen one of these signs except at a gun show and gun stores. Should I boycott gun shows and gun stores?

Last edited:

horselips

Years ago I came to the political decision that my safety trumps anyone's property rights, and I don't want to hear your side of it. And so, except for airports, and government buildings, wherever I go, I carry. Everywhere, Every day. My EDC gun is a NAA Mini Revolver (.22WMR) so there is no chance of an unintended display, or even an accidental printing. I know it's not the best weapon, but it satisfies Rule #1 - Have a gun. Always. No exceptions, no excuses. The bigger, better gun you left at home for any reason whatsoever, might as well be on the moon if you need it.

If I had a dollar for every "No weapons" sign I ignored I'd be rich. Wouldn't it be interesting if every one of us did the same, and then took the time to call the business and anonymously inform them that we had carried on their premises, that they were in no danger from us, and that armed, law-abiding citizens are not the problem. A nationwide campaign to deluge businesses and offices with such calls might have the same effect as massive civil disobedience did in advancing women's and minority's rights, and defeating blue laws where they existed.

redrick

I bought my girlfriend a gift at Jared's a few years ago . I walked into the store and never noticed the sign out front . I was CCing my pistol at the time .

It just happened a few days latter and before I gave her the gift I saw a thread running about this .

I went back to the store with the gift to see if there was a sign posted locally here in my state . Sure enough there was .

I walked into the store and told them I wanted to return my purchase and why .