Just What Is Buckshot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMcL

The range and effectiveness of today's buckshot has certainly changed!

The "sea change" in buckshot ammunition is no different than what has happened in the field of shotgun "slug" ammunition. There are many states and govt. managed lands that require the use of shotgun slugs. This was instituted in the era of the Foster style slug that were and are very limited in range. However, Remington, Winchester and Federal have all thrown "long established industry standards" to the wind. Today's shotgun slugs (abeit in rifled barrels) have a greater danger range as current factory .45-70 and .444 ammunition, let alone the .44 magnum carbine. Virtually all state wildlife agencies that restrict hunters to shotgun slugs have not changed their regulations but simply accepted the new reality.

Noreaster

RMcl good point. The same with Muzzleloaders that now shoot like center fire rifles. Most shotguns are set up for wing shooting not rifle shooting. Many people don't practice enough with slugs because of the recoil. There was a push at one time to allow the use of cartridges like the 38-55 in shotgun only jurisdictions.

RMcL

In 2011 the Alabama Conservation Advisory Board lifted the statewide ban on buckshot during stalk hunting deer season. Previously buckshot was only legal in areas and seasons open to dog deer hunting.

In returning the ammunition/firearm decision to the hunter, the C.A.B. recognized the popularity of buckshot for stalk, and stand hunting thick cover in many areas of the state.

RMcL

Funny how "shocking" claims of 50 yard buckshot performance appear to many in the shooting media.

"Hornady claims these loads are good to 50 yards as they use a special Versatite wad that provides tighter patterns at longer distances. ...a lot better than the 25+ yards I am used to with “standard” 00-buck loads."

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/11/07/hornady-heavy-magnum-coyote-shotshell-ammo/

Even more shocking to some would be buckshot ammo capable of solid 50 yard performance on game substantially larger than deer, such as the Dixie Tri-Ball buckshot round with it's trio of 3/4th ounce hard lead pellets.

Last edited:

dahermit

Buckshot differs from Bird-shot in that Buckshot is on the larger end of the size scale, and it is swagged "pure", soft lead while cold. Whereas Bird-shot is poured from molten lead from a shot tower, with added elements to effect the properties, namely hardness (Antimony), and roundness via increased surface tension (Arsenic). Buckshot differs from "Round Ball" (a single round ball), in that a loading of Buckshot always contains multiple projectiles of less than bore diameter.

dahermit

buckshot was used to hunt deer in the old days.(( hint the name). mostly double aught (.00) lead balls in the shell.. usually only 6 -8 lead pellets in the shell..
Buckshot is still used to hunt deer currently. There are several sizes of popular Buckshot. My favorite is Number four buckshot in a three-inch 12 guage, with 41 .24 caliber pellets...it is like a swarm of bees. Even the 2-3/4 inch 12 guage has 27 pellets of Number 4 buckshot. Number 3 Buckshot is popular with 20 guage deer hunters.

RMcL

So when game regulations state "buckshot" as a legal means of take, it simply means any multiple pellet load so named by an ammunition or shot manufacturer.

Last edited:

SHR970

Depends on the state you are in. Some states tell you which sizes are legal.

Edit to add: Looking at the 'Bama regs., I would venture to guess that as long as you stay with #4 - 000 buck you'll be fine. T and F are offered in Steel so they would likely be considered to be waterfowl shot. The officer's interpretation will win in the field and I would hate for you to have to get a decision in court.

Last edited:

RMcL

Industry standards do not law make!

Shotgun slugs are a prime example. There are many states and govt. managed lands that require the use of shotgun slugs. These regulations were instituted in the era of the Foster style slug that were and are very limited in range. However, Remington, Winchester and Federal have all thrown "...long established industry standard(s)..." to the wind. Today's shotgun slugs (abeit in rifled barrels) have just as much danger range as the 45-70, .444 and certainly exceed the .44 magnum carbine. Virtually all state wildlife agencies that restrict hunters to shotgun slugs have not changed their regulations but accept the "new industry standards."

Likewise, most states that permit or mandate buckshot are mute on pellet size. For them buckshot is a multiple large pellet load described as "buckshot." It doesn't matter if the three pellets are .33, .36, .40 or .60 caliber or that the three pellet loads are packaged in a Winchester box labeled .410 gauge buckshot or in a Dixie box labeled 12 gauge buckshot.

So if the regulation simply says "slugs" are legal, I would not hesitate to use a rifled 12 gauge with sabot slugs. Likewise if the regulation simply says buckshot...

Last edited:

olddrum1

Why not call your state conservation comission for a definition. They will be the one writing the ticket if your wrong.

RMcL

"Why not call your state conservation comission for a definition. They will be the one writing the ticket if your wrong." olddrum1

No need to, the regulations say "buckshot" and the factory ammo is marked "buckshot." And yes, I have hunted deer and feral hog with non-traditional buckshot sizes on WMA and shown the factory ammo to Conservation Officers without concern.

RMcL

Market or Legal definition?

Well, what is buckshot?

We see the term used everyday, but is the term "buckshot" a market, or legal, definition?

---------------------------------------------------------------

The term "Buckshot" clearly has an expanding, market driven definition, which is broadly accepted by game departments as is the term "Shotgun Slug."

Last edited:

TxGun

Shot sizes constituting "buckshot' have pretty much been defined for generations. Not sure if the term is either marketing or legal...I think it's simply tradition. It's simply an esoteric term for shot sizes earlier shotgunners found adequate for hunting deer-sized game. I'm sure there have been, and will be, some variances around the edges of what we call "buckshot", but the traditional loads have been defined for probably 150 years...in the minds of shotgunners. Legal authorities may intercede and dictate, for their own reasons, what shot sizes are lawful in certain jurisdictions, and that's fine. Doesn't change what shotgunners know as "buckshot". In any case, does all this really matter?

PawPaw

The best buckshot I've found lately is the Federal Vital Shock with the Flite Control wad. We've been qualifying with it for two years and it's really the best 12 gauge 9 shot load I've ever seen. Using standard Remington Police shotguns, it's easy to keep all 9 pellets in the 8-ring of a standard B27 target at 50 yards. Many times we have trouble scoring the targets because once we're though shooting a string of 10 rounds, the target just shows a big ragged hole in the middle of the paper.

That Federal 00 buck load is the best I've seen in a long time. If I were forced to use buckshot for deer, I know what I'd be carrying in the shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.