Just What Is Buckshot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMcL

Well, what is buckshot?

We see the term used everyday, but is the term "buckshot" a market, or legal, definition?

springfield 720

buckshot was used to hunt deer in the old days.(( hint the name). mostly double aught (.00) lead balls in the shell.. usually only 6 -8 lead pellets in the shell..

jmortimer

Technically, it is not fully accurate but is essentially right. At some point, 000 or whatever, we go from buckshot to round ball of what ever diameter and then at some point we go to cannon ball.

jmortimer

Sounds good to me - the 0000 is .380 and after that it is generally called "Super Buck" so there is no reason the Dixie Tri-Ball with three .60 hard cast super buck shots would not count. How about anything that is two or more "buck" or "super buck" of whatever diameter that fits in a shot shell or metallic cartridge of whatever bore- that is my new definition.

Last edited:

jmortimer

My definition includes "Twin-Ball" - i.e. "any multi-ball load from a metallic cartridge or shotshell that has "buck" or "super buck," i.e buck SAAMI spec to 000 and "super," anything beyond 000, in whatever size bore." So I think we may have this covered. You sand-bagged me with SAAMI and BPI, but who can argue with either of them.

jmortimer

"So is the term "buckshot" a manufacturer's definition, or a legal definition?"
If it is codified it is a legal definition, even if it is "wrong." SAAMI is a generally accepted standard so I would agree with that and the manufacturer can say whatever they want. I'm sticking with the new and improved Mortimer definition.

RMcL

jmortimer,

"Sandbagging" was not intended.

Further information:

SAMMI standards are completely Voluntary and apparently are not even binding on member companies.

Last edited:

RMcL

So then if game regulations state that "buckshot" is a legal method of take, then any multiple ball load manufactured as buckshot is indeed a buckshot load!

Last edited:

jmortimer

Now that is a good question. If there is no specification in the law and there is no appellate decision defining "buckshot" one would be safe with 000 buck shot. I would consider my "twin-ball" or the Dixie Tri-Ball to be legal "buck shot" but who knows.

jmortimer

""Sandbagging" was not intended..."
I was joking, common sense would have caused me to check SAAMI first, but I did not think of them. My mind defaults to large/huge slow lead balls/slugs/bullets and Dixie Slugs' Tri-Ball.

RMcL

Well, most states that permit or mandate buckshot are mute on pellet size/diameter. For them it appears buckshot is a multiple large pellet load labeled as "buckshot." It doesn't matter if the pellets are .330, .350, .380 . 400, .520 or .600 diameter or that the three pellet buckshot loads are packaged in a Winchester box labeled .410 gauge or in a Dixie box labeled 12 gauge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.