Is There an Unmet Need in the World of Bullets?

Sevens

No need to apologize--just about everyone is out of slugs but a new source I can look at in the future is always appreciated. ;)

SL1

Probably NOT what you are really hoping to find that we are looking for, but I am still wanting .355" diameter, 125 grain jacketed bullet with a nose profile suitable for the 357 Sig and a canelure in the right place to make a decent role crimp and end-up with a COL of about 1.140" to 1.135".

I thought you wanted those, too.

SL1

hooligan1

Snuffy, the point that I was trying to convey to Peetza, was that if we could think of an easy way to make him money we would have already done it for ourselves,;) and that if you want target mainstream handloaders, then you will need to invent the wheel.;)
Now taking into consideration he has this World wide forum to glean this knowledge from then he's really not doing it for himself, in other words I would like to test his bullets, and I will be dilligent in my testing, but I won't spend the money that I spend on premium bullets..

And Fusion bullets are'nt what you think they are, if they were then they would be everywhere like Interbonds, or Accubonds, or even Sierra Gamekings,(which I like and they are cheap enough and PLENTIFUL), so in reality if he really wants to produce highend, Premium Hunting/Target bullets, he'll have to appeal to the masses.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
SL1 said:
Probably NOT what you are really hoping to find that we are looking for, but I am still wanting .355" diameter, 125 grain jacketed bullet with a nose profile suitable for the 357 Sig and a canelure in the right place to make a decent role crimp and end-up with a COL of about 1.140" to 1.135".

I thought you wanted those, too.
Interesting idea. I'm not sure the price point is there though. I'll have to look into it.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Magnum Wheel Man said:
BRIAN... when you get ready to go, let me know, as a guy who reloads way too many cartridges, I'm sure I could help you out... in everything from the 25 caliber bullets I mentioned, to a cast or swaged lead bullet for my antique 44 Bulldog, that I load using cut off 44 special cases, to some of the older Contender chamberings... I'm sure I would be good for a couple bullet weight / profiles you could make... some bullets I'd be happy with 100, others, if you are making bulk lots, I might give them a try as well

good luck in your new business... so are you giving up on Pizza ???

I appreciate that.

At $1,000 for a set of dies, there needs to be some pretty good demand though. Unless you want to pay $10 per.:D

pathdoc

Wogpotter, I 've shot quite a few of your bullet #4 myself, and I bought the first SMLE I saw specifically because the bore was a multi-grooved, Lithgow-spawned thing of immaculate beauty (and the rest of the gun wasn't in bad shape either). It swallowed them uncomplainingly and gave me reasonable results (commensurate with my skill, at any rate). But I fully understand your problem. :)

jimbob86

Brian, it sounds like you want to make bullets? I think there might be an opportunity...... There was a fairly popular bullet that had a good reputation but it's maker decided to discontinue it in favor of a cheaper but adequate product. If you could obtain a license to make and distribute the discontinued bullet you could be golden........or perhaps silver. Of course, I'm talking about the original Silvertip.

The aluminum tipped Winchester Silvertip was dropped because the bullet cost more than a standard cup and core bullet to make, and performed poorly at close range, especially in high velocity cartridges like .270WIN. Nothing will hack off a hunter like shooting a deer at 10 yards with his trusty deer rifle and having the deer run away with "the hickey from hell" on its shoulder, leaving little or no blood trail.

NWPilgrim

It seems odd to me there are no .224" bonded bullets in the length and weight to replicate 55 and 62 gr FMJ available as components. The Trophy BondedBear Claw is close but hugely expensive and only in factory ammo for LE. Same goes for the gold dots.

The idea would be to replicate exterior ballistics of cheap practice ammo but have a tough bullet that would hold up for barrier blind defense and hunting. Whether you agree with that use or not I guarantee you would sell all you can make for SHTF stockpiles and everyday hunting assuming it holds together on hogs. Call them Hog Hammers!

Right now the only normally available bullet that comes close are the Barnes TSX. You would want one that is tough and that replicates the exterior ballistics and reloading specs for each of 55 gr FMJ, 62 gr SS109, 69 gr and 75 gr BTHP. And cheap FMJ in 69 gr and 75 gr.

The idea is that you could develop one load and shoot to same point of impact with FMJ, BTHP, and bonded protected soft point like the Gold Dot. Right now I work up separate loads, even with different powders, for 62 gr FMJ, 62 gr TSX, and 69 BTHP. POI is off laterally by a few inches at 100 yds. So I sight in my scope for BTHP and remember the hold offs for the others. You produce a line of bullets that offer multiple designs in the popular weights that shoot to same POI and you win't be able to make enough.

wogpotter

Wogpotter, I 've shot quite a few of your bullet #4 myself, and I bought the first SMLE I saw specifically because the bore was a multi-grooved, Lithgow-spawned thing of immaculate beauty (and the rest of the gun wasn't in bad shape either). It swallowed them uncomplainingly and gave me reasonable results (commensurate with my skill, at any rate). But I fully understand your problem.
Its actually not my problem at all. I have a tight '55 Faz that will eat BTs all day without compaining.
I was thinking of all those with Enfields that won't digest BT without a problem. (Thats not even my pic of the keyhole it came from someone else who was having the problem.)

wogpotter

Well I let the poll run until today to see some kind of representative intrest (or lack of it).
I gave price options from "under 25 cents" up in 10 cent increments to "50 cents or more".

I had over 150 hits & not a single vote in the poll or comment. I guess the best term for interest is "relaxed apathy", sorry about that.:eek:

BrokenBottles

.357" diameter poly tipped rounds for lever guns. Hornady only had the 140g listed the last time I looked and there's so many things I want to hit that are more than 150yards away.

I know Hunting with lever guns isn't too popular but I know a few people who do and one guy makes his own but wont tell anyone how he makes them and wont sell them:mad:

centurion20000

Here's an unmet need. A 308 version of the SS109 round. Not AP because the SS109 only uses a steel penentrator in the tip (enhanced penetration vs true AP) and uses a lead core.

A 130 grain bullet that you can push over 3200 fps would sell like hotcakes.

RC20

I think there is an unmet need for target shooting bullets of a non boat tail design.

We are shooting 30-06, and I don't think its unusual we are limited to a 100 yd range distance.

A lot of time and effort in a boat tail design and production that pay no return at that distance, I would rather have a better price vs range of the boat tail.

For 30-06 I would start at 174 grs (as that seems to be the accuracy sweet spot of the admittedly wide latitude 30-06).

Others can weigh in on the best for their calibers (130 in 270?).

Its funny you can buy hunting bullets with a flat base, but not target.

BFG9k

There's an unmet need for a nonexpanding bullet that creates a large temporary cavity.

Société Française des Munitions' (SFM) concave (reverse) ogive THV bullet design looks like it was made on a lathe but could probably be cast or swaged without the tip.

The late Charlie Kelsey's "radially dynamic" Devel Bullet design with fluted ogive was sintered but could probably be hard cast or swaged with half jackets if you don't mind a little deformation on impact. Or it could possibly be machined like a Phillips screwdriver bit even onto factory FMJ. This design is much more likely to feed properly in semiautos.

The Krnka-Hebler tubular bullet design with a wad has been tried many times without much success. Theoretically it could greatly improve ballistics by reducing drag (there's a hole through it!) but the expense and loss of mass likely negates any advantages for anything smaller than a cannon.

Mike / Tx

If your looking for a niche, go to the calibers like .257, and .270 and offer some heavier weights than what are currently offered by the major brands. They concentrate on the masses where there are a LOT of folks who are looking for something just a bit heavier for their needs.

Myself I would love to see a nice FB or even a short BT with a 125 - 130gr weight in .257 for my 25-06s. Some think that is too heavy but I know for a fact they will both shoot well in either of my rifles. I have some of the now discontinued Wildcat's in both weights and they shoot like a dream. For two years after Nosler brought out the BT I asked why they wouldn't put it in a 115gr, their reply was it wouldn't stabilize. Nowadays it's one of their best sellers for that caliber.

In .277, something in the 160 - 180 range would also be nice. Nothing really available other than the Partition.

Just need to find the overlooked gaps in the lines and see what you can fill.

Niantician

I'd like to see a Hornady FTX .44 bullet heavier than the 225 gr they offer now. Maybe 260 gr? I'd also like to see a harder cast bullet in their leverevolution line. Something that could still be fired from a levergun and still had the polymer tip.