Is There an Unmet Need in the World of Bullets?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
And I don't mean supply.;)

Is there a bullet (or bullets) that people would buy and use in reasonable quantities, that is not being made?

BoogieMan

I am newb to this. It seems to me that there are little to no holes in the sizes from .17 to .500. Every few thousandths there is another caliber. What could be added? A .42 or .43.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I don't mean a different size, which would also require whole new guns and cartridges, I mean .224, .243 bullets or .308 bullets, .375, something that exists but a particular bullet isn't there.

Quadpod88

If you can't find a round to fit your situation and preferences, you just ain't trying. Man is still looking for that perfect round. Truth be told, it will never exist. But what we have is an insanely vast assortment of ammo types. Some widely known and loved, some not so much. So, an unmet need i'd say no. But i wouldn't be apposed to a new and fresh round for the sake of shooting for fun.

CS86

You mean like a jacketed ballistic tip .22 long rifle bullet. Correct? Just an example. Not saying there is a need for it.

Quadpod88

You mean like a jacketed ballistic tip .22 long rifle bullet. Correct?

What are you going to shoot? A squirrel wearing body armor? Not trying to be snide, but that kinda raises an eyebrow.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm not talking about new CARTRIDGES.

I'm talking about a BULLET in an existing caliber that handloaders would buy to load existing cartridges, that does not currently exist or exists in numbers smaller than the pre-hype and post-hype demand.

Not 22LR. You can't reasonably load your own 22LR.

Not silly ideas that are fun and nobody would buy.

Something like a 150gr frangible .338 bullet or a 115gr BT VLD .243 bullet or a 50gr frangible .243 bullet....

huntinaz

I have a friend that wants an ultra-lite .338 ballistic tip or frangible bullet to load in his new .338 Lapua. Something like 150gr. The purpose would be to see how much vaporization one could get from a coyote.

Heat seeking if possible:D

Quadpod88

I'm not necessarily saying new cartridges either. For the most part, if you can think it, you find it. Or you could just simply load it.

hammie

A full metal jacket in diameters other than .224 or .308. Barnes makes some, but they're solid copper and long for the weight.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Or you could just simply load it

You can't LOAD a bullet that doesn't EXIST. That's the question.

A full metal jacket in diameters other than .224 or .308. Barnes makes some, but they're solid copper and long for the weight.

I assume that you mean a solid, guilded metal bullet? There are tons of "full metal jacket" bullets in virtually every caliber. "Full Metal Jacket" just means no exposed lead, it doesn't mean homogeneous, solid metal.

I have a friend that wants an ultra-lite .338 ballistic tip or frangible bullet to load in his new .338 Lapua. Something like 150gr. The purpose would be to see how much vaporization one could get from a coyote.

THAT is the information I want. Something people WANT that doesn't EXIST or at least not in sufficient, pre-panic quantities.

huntinaz

What about a VLD type bonded bullet? Something with a very high BC that holds together rather than acting like a ballistic tip. In calibers .243 and up?

**Barnes LRX may fit this role, I don't know the BC on those and I'm at work so the site is blocked.

Last edited:

BigD_in_FL

THAT is the information I want. Something people WANT that doesn't EXIST or at least not in sufficient, pre-panic quantities.

I still think a 9 or 40 AP bullet would sell, as folks either prepare for home invasions with BGs wearing armor, or the scenarios we can't talk about on this forum occur

hammie

@Brian Pflueger: Yes, I mean a copper jacketed lead rifle bullet with no exposed lead. Hornady used to make an 80 grain FMJ in .243, but that is now discontinued. It seems to me that if I want an FMJ in .243, .257, .264, or .284, my options are pretty limited. At least I am not aware of any such offerings from hornady, speer, nosler, or sierra. Perhaps, I'm wrong. I don't always keep up with the latest gear.

Quadpod88

What you are asking for does exist. Most every cartridge(especially .338 lapua) you can find a large variety of rounds for reloading. After that it is just a matter of availability and price. It comes down to what kind of load out you want, after that all you need to do is shop around.

huntinaz

@Brian Pflueger: Yes, I mean a copper jacketed lead rifle bullet with no exposed lead. Hornady used to make an 80 grain FMJ in .243, but that is now discontinued. It seems to me that if I want an FMJ in .243, .257, .264, or .284, my options are pretty limited. At least I am not aware of any such offerings from hornady, speer, or sierra. Perhaps, I'm wrong. I don't always keep up with the latest gear.

I have a partial box of .243" 90gr Sierra FMJ. Are those discontinued as well?

What you are asking for does exist. Most every cartridge(especially .338 lapua) you can find a large variety of rounds for reloading. After that it is just a matter of availability and price. It comes down to what kind of load out you want, after that all you need to do is shop around.

He's asking for something that DOES NOT EXIST YET. Any ideas?

Quadpod88

165 gr hand lathed, bronze cased .30-06, other than that i got nothing. I can even find jacketed ballitic tip .22lr(search V-MAX).