Is the AR market going to survive under current conditions?

TimW77

"The trouble is: Which do i take shooting today since i like them all?"

You need to build another... Build a "favorite" to take every time!

T.

makarov

How much should an AR actually cost? More than a Ruger 10/22? How much more?

Supply and demand as others have said. My local shop just discounted DPMS and Ruger AR's down to $500.

Federal .223 is now $159 for 420 rounds. I just hope .22 ammo starts returning to something close to normal.

AR's have been pretty overpriced in my opinion for what they are.

Mobuck

"How much should an AR actually cost? More than a Ruger 10/22? How much more?

AR's have been pretty overpriced in my opinion for what they are"

Considering that I've seen 10-22's priced @ $180 w/free shipping in the last week and that a "price point" quality AR barrel and BCG w/CH was priced about the same, that leaves a LOT of parts to be added and those aren't free.
A 10-22 is a simple design and easy to manufacture. An AR is fairly simple as semi-auto centerfire rifles go and is fairly cheap to manufacture(you don't get government contracts based on frivolous machining). One is designed to provide basic accuracy with a low powered rimfire while the other must contain the 50,000 psi + of a centerfire cartridge. FWIW I'll spend more for the safety of my face.

fourbore

Any suggestion on current deal for aero upper receiver? I mean low,low.

I dont see the 6.5/6.8/450/458/50 parts at any lower prices.

Lower price is good. Right?

stagpanther

Lots of people love Aero products--I'm not one of them.

I live in Maine where Windham armory stuff is made, take a look at their stuff, Mainers have a lot of pride in what they make and these guys are some of the original Bushmaster folks.

MarkCO

There are already a few AR focused companies that have gone under.

I have seen a few builder kits (with decent parts) for as low as $269, so add a blem $50 lower and $319 is a pretty good deal. I still have not seen one I would actually consider owning for less than $600 though.

If you buy an AR15 today for $400 as an investment, you are gambling that you will be able to sell it for about $700 in 4 years or $1400 in 8 years. While I know a guy with a pallet of ARs he bought at $520/unit (100K of ammo too) for an investment, I am not convinced it is a good risk to reward play.

But yes, the AR market will survive, and in some segments thrive. All the small companies are scrambling to get AR9 parts in play, and some are junk, but some are pretty good. More and more people are hunting with ARs as well, so those more potent calibers will see some improvement in the next few years.

Skans

But yes, the AR market will survive,

I agree, it will survive. Someone will come out with a different configuration that looks cool and may even add a little more functionality, and it will take off. I don't know what that will be, but it will be.

osbornk

The AR15 is to the rifle what the 1911 is to pistols. I will be around for much the same reasons (good, affordable and universal parts). It will weed out the poor and/or inefficient manufacturers but the AR market will be around for many decades.

fourbore

I am looking for the deal of the day for an upper receiver. Not stripped, not a complete upper. Aero or perhaps Anderson. Where are the deals on those today?

Nathan

The AR market is dying. If you have other products, soon you will drop pr minimize AR products.

If you have a solid name and rep, you will continue along with steady sales and decreasing prices. Hopefully your profit margins are set right.

If you have big flash today, but were nothing a year ago, you will have too much investment and loss to get right and will die out or change.

If you are on the fringes, buckle down, this is gonna be a ride!

rickyrick

I think when free pmags and BCGs are getting bundled into every order, something is up. I bought a scope, and a free $80 mount was thrown in.

Seems like they are hurting for sales, when the surplus dries up we will see who's left standing.

In 2.5 years we could have another panic. We will have a better idea who the dem candidate might be.

FTG-05

If the HPA (Hearing Protection Act) passes, I expect to see a lot of AR manufacturers turn to making off the shelf suppressors for every gun know to man. Then the whole gun business will increase to start turning out all kinds of guns that will take suppressors out the door. Ruger has already started doing this.

It's a great time to be gun onwer!

pturner67

Just wait. If the current leadership underperforms, the next cycle will produce panic buying and prices will go up. Prices are low now. I suggest dollar cost averaging while you can.

Gunplummer

If you watch the internet auctions, you can see the prices of "Black rifles" just keep falling. Some of you are confusing the sale of complete guns with kits. The market is flooded with cheap kits and 80% receivers right now and it is giving the complete rifle sales a beating.

stagpanther: Exactly. People seem to believe that there will be no more panics, connected to an unthinkable tragedy as in the past. Let's pray that such nightmares never again happen.

Even if there are no more panics induced by reckless comments from politicians in the majority party of the US House or Senate, watch out for (never-ending) new anti-Second Amendment state legislation in MD, NY, NJ, CT, MA, CA and any other state with anti-gun attitudes in highly-populated urban areas.

fourbore

f you watch the internet auctions, you can see the prices of "Black rifles" just keep falling. Some of you are confusing the sale of complete guns with kits. The market is flooded with cheap kits and 80% receivers right now and it is giving the complete rifle sales a beating.

I dont see the big sales. Can someone provide a few links. I could use a upper assembled receiver (not a complete upper) just a receiver. Aero or Anderson.

I found one for $72 here:
http://www.tomstactical.com/aero-precision-ar-15-upper-receiver-assembly

I would expect more like $50 or $60 or less to hear all the dumping talk on this forum. Any deals on nice varmint barrels in 6 point something. I mean cheap cheap ... Or floating forearms, those always been crazy money. Did the forarms crash?

Is rock river arms or anderson slashing prices? I dont see that.

Fishbed77

There are already a few AR focused companies that have gone under.

None of the good ones have gone under.

BCM, DD, LWRC, KAC, Noveske, and even Colt are still in business.

My guess is that they are going nowhere.

rickyrick

I got a $59 BCG 6.8 PSA
Half price keymod AeroPrecision handguard
Buy 5 boxes of ammunition get 5 pmags
Can find uppers for $35-$40 when I look.
I even seen a 50 pack of stripped lowers
Bought a vortex scope and got an $87 mount for free
Heck, my latest project was put together from my inbox

Get on daily deal mailings.