Is the AR market going to survive under current conditions?

rickyrick

Now we are past panics, how long can it go at all these low prices.

There's combo deals, free magazines with every order.

I'm getting premium parts at prices I never imagined.

What's the future? Will we see an expanded premium market? Will the milspec and budget suppliers go under.

I was gonna stop purchasing AR components at the election, it only took a few short weeks for me to go bananas getting stuff that is on sale now.

I'm just curious to what everyone here thinks.

katonahjohn

I bought a LOT of ammo prior to the election just in case. Maybe enough to get to the end of Hillary's term (G). Haven't bought any since. I imagine people did the same with guns. First time buyers and the person getting something he wanted but didn't need just in case or possibly to sell and make a good profit 'after the ban'. So buying is going to go down, prices go down, smaller manufacturer's to go out of business. Buy what you want now because there is too much stuff out there for the current market. When all of the excess stock is used up then prices will ease back up.

marine6680

You wouldn't know it by the Geissele trigger prices... they went up.

I haven't seen an SSA for under $220, and most were at the $240 MSRP... Admittingly I didn't look too hard.

I would bet the fly by night operations will probably sink, but the established names will likely hang on.

jmr40

Don't get me wrong, I like the AR rifles. But the market was un naturally active over the last few years. The market will survive, but many companies will not. The market will return to it's natural state eventually. In the short term there are more rifles already in the market than needed.

Manufacturers will need to be creative in marketing to get more buyers. I look to see more AR's in chamberings other than 223/5.56 in order to get buyers to purchase another rifle.

CDR_Glock

It will surely be better for the buyer. As opposed to a builder, I'm assembling my own with a drop in trigger (Elftmann Match) and match grade barrel. Those are the two most important components for accuracy.

I foresee entry level ARs dropping to $350 and Magazines around $8-10 for a short time.

Other mid range brands will likely drop at least 10-15% of prices.

Higher end will probably move towards match triggers, ambidextrous components, adjustable gas blocks and maybe even integrated suppressors.

After my planned assembly, I'm going to try my hand at 80% lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mobuck

I've had two guys contact me since the election looking for "custom feature" AR's that are over their budgets OTC. I told them to hand me a lower and tell me how much they're willing to spend, what features were "locked in", and which were optional pending budget.
There are still buyers willing to spend $400-450 for a base model.

BumbleBug

I have always been a more traditional gun enthusiast (i.e. gun nut) preferring wooden stocks, bolt action & single-shot rifles, 1911 pistols, S&W revolvers, etc.

The rise of the AR platform & all the fervor surrounding it from the anti-gun groups, actually caught my original interest. The term "build" was thrown around a lot & I liked that. I learned that meant assembling a variety of various interchangeable parts for infinite customization. The AR was not just another military rifle for collectors. Even though the "black rifle" idea was not so appealing at first, it was fascinating & I quickly learned that it can become a hobby (i.e. addiction) in itself. So I built my first AR on the cheap with PSA parts. It was fun & satisfying. Even my fellow shooters that were somewhat turned off by the black-rifle label loved to shoot the thing. It's was that easy to create a convert! LOL

From my own experience, I see the future being cheaper parts meaning more builds. Eventually even more AR popularity & more hobbiest. With popularity there will always be a demand for high-end parts. The election fears are gone & the market will self adjust, but the real future for AR rifles & parts will be starting a new phase of popularity. Snapping up a bargain now on premium barrels & BCG & rails is still a good idea. That is IMHO...

AverageJo

I think based on what is happening here is the prediction:
99% of the new GUN/AR building companies that are appeared in the last say 10 years will be out of business. Big guys will be ok like sig and ruger, Remington and so on.
People just stopped purchasing guns because they can get it later.

dakota.potts

I think we'll see some stupid cheap basic level ARs. Smaller companies that popped up manufacturing basic ARs will either have to innovate or won't survive. I think we'll see these companies moving to new, cool aftermarket accessories for the ARs already out there. That would explain the price increase on triggers. There's already a large new market for free floated handguards, PDW style stocks, side charging upper receivers, coatings on bolts etc. Companies will need to enter with some cool new products that are reasonably priced to stay competitive. Big companies who manufacture ARs but not primarily (Ruger) will probably continue producing them but not at the same rate they are now. Companies that specialize in semi-automatic "tactical" firearms like Sig Sauer will probably move away from base models into building their own unique brand.

Just my guess.

HankC1

Maybe the current price tells us how we over paid in years! It is an aluminum and plastics gun. AR is really not a hard to make gun and there will be foreign low cost makers coming in to the game and keep the price down. Maybe AK price should come down to current AR level or even lower, it is a sheet metal gun!

Mobuck

I wasn't complaining when I was selling $400 AR's for $1400 so I'm not complaining when $400 AR's come around again.

mdcmn7

This is going to cycle

Panic buyers are less panicked and buying less guns and ammo for the time being

There will always be a market and the enthusiasts will always buy

At some point politics are going to change, the party in charge will change and the panic buyers will return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TruthTellers

Yes because the market is that large and because in 2 short years we may be looking at a "different" congress that thinks assault weapons and high capacity magazines are tools of the mass murder trade.

shootniron

Yes because the market is that large and because in 2 short years we may be looking at a "different" congress that thinks assault weapons and high capacity magazines are tools of the mass murder trade.

This may be true...but, I think that we have a President that will not sign ANY gun control for 4 years...after then, all bets are off.

Ibmikey

I have built and purchased several complete rifles sunce the election, prices are too good not to. The trouble is: Which do i take shooting today since i like them all?