Informing LEO's about your CHL: a helpful courtesy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneckrepairs

Having been on both sides of the coin here , i will share MY perspective on the issue . Not that its worth a hill of beans , but it might inspire thoughts . Back when i was an officer , and colorado was " may issue " ccw was not as common as today . None the less i stopped a few who i had occation to find out about ( no duty to report ) and i am sure many i did not know about , including otherwise law abiding out of state folks ( pre reciprocity days ). My Personal rule of thumb and later my encouragement to officers under my supervision was that the person who tells you about a gun wont use it on you . I went a bit further and issued warnings where i could instead of tickets to said folks under a concept called " officer discression " . I am long out of LE and times they have changed . Today if stopped i do inform that i am armed as a common courtesy to the officer . I do not however allow anyone to search my vehicle for any reason without a valid court order or my arrest. I also do not play well with " fishing " questions such as where have you been , where are you going , ect..

raftman

I have a follow-up question to the (former) LEO's who said they prefer(ed) being informed up front.

What is the best way to inform, without it being perceived as a threat or "muddying the water"? I mean, obviously, if one blurts out immediately upon the officer making contact "I got a gun!" it's far more likely to be taken as a threat, but it's hard to think of a phrasing of the fact in any way that makes it impossible to perceive as something of a threat, even if not blurted in so blunt a manner. To me saying, "Officer, I would like to inform you that I do have a concealed handgun license and do currently have a weapon on my person" still can be perceived as, "I got a gun, so be nice to me."

m&p45acp10+1

I usualy just hand over my CHL with my DL. I also keep my insurance card in a visor wallet it keeps me from having to dig around to find it. When I handed over my CHL most asked is it on your person or in your vehicle? I awnser yes and tell them where it is at. A few have had me step out and secured my weapon while they ran my DL. A few have just said OK and went and ran me. Most times I drove away with a warning. In multiple times none has ever been hostile. The ones that checked my weapon usualy said something along the lines of the fact that it was too nice of a gun for daily carry.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I mean, obviously, if one blurts out immediately upon the officer making contact "I got a gun!" it's far more likely to be taken as a threat, but it's hard to think of a phrasing of the fact in any way that makes it impossible to perceive as something of a threat, even if not blurted in so blunt a manner.

Generally, it goes like this:

Officer: License and registration, please.

CCW: Certainly officer. I'd like you to know that I have a permit for carrying a concealed handgun and I do have the gun on my person at this time.

Officer: Ok, where is the gun?

CCW: It's in a holster on my right hip at about 230, sir.

Officer: OK, Can you retrieve your license and registration without your hands going near the gun? (This is a hint that you should think about where your license is compared to your gun now instead of when this is happening.)

CCW: Yes, sir.

Officer: OK, let me see those, and your permit, and place your hands back on the wheel. (Or sometimes something like "away from the gun.")

Many times when the officer is done they will ask about your gun, what kind it is, how you like it, etc. Of course, that depends on if they are gun people and all that, but it's pretty frequent.

Last edited:

IdahoG36

I have posted this a few times here, but here it is again. I live in Idaho, and here we are not required by law to inform LEO that we are carrying. If I get pulled over, or have to deal with a LEO, and I am carrying, I always let them know. I will hand over my DL, insurance, registration, and CHL.
I have never had a problem with that system. I have always been thanked by the LEO for letting them know. It's just a courtesy IMO.

I forgot to add this- For God's sake, never blurt out "I've got a gun" when the officer walks up to your car. :)

ZeSpectre

I forgot to add this- For God's sake, never blurt out "I've got a gun" when the officer walks up to your car.

I had intended to make that point earlier and forgot. If you can remember to do so I would suggest you avoid the word "GUN" altogether and say something like..."Officer, I just wanted to let you know that I am currently armed, what would you like me to do?"

The word "gun" (even without saying it like a smartass) can trigger all kinds of training responses. :eek:

Tex S

As mentioned before, in TX you only have to tell the LEO you are CHL if you are carrying the pistol. Here is how I handle the situation:

No offense to LEO, but I could care less about telling them if I'm packing or not; its none of their business. But, I always do hand over my CHL whether I am carrying or not because it has got me out of tickets on more than one occasion.

My experience shows that if you get caugt in a speed trap, your CHL is useless. They have laid down a trap, and if you get caught speeding you are going to get a ticket. However, if you are speeding down a 2 lane backroad and the cop does a u-turn and pulls you over, the CHL is almost certain to get you off of that one.

My ticket count has decreased dramatically since I got my CHL. It has become less and less effective though. I believe this is because alot of people are getting CHL's, and what used to be a rarity is now the norm.

Uncle Billy

My comment goes like some variation on this, depending on what gun is where (hands in clear view, of course): "I have a licensed Walther that's loaded and in a holster under my left arm. How do you want me to proceed?" or if I have to go there: "There may be a licensed, loaded handgun in the glovebox. How do you want me to proceed?" I only mention a gun if there's some even remote possibility the LEO will see it or become aware of its presence. Any guns in cases in the trunk or back seat I don't think need to be spoken of.

About guns and motorcycles (not CC in this case):
One day about 30 years ago my Dad rode his little Yamaha motorcycle to the gun club for our usual Sunday trap shoot. The 12 mile route was almost entirely outside the city limits, in farm country. He carried his Model 12 Winchester in a temporary sling across his back and had his shooting bag Bungeed to the luggage rack behind him. Of course he was stopped by a county sheriff, who gave him a hard time, actually chewed him out pretty good- for risking the Model 12 in a crash. The office was a trap-shooter and collector of shotguns. It was my grandfather's shotgun Dad had inherited from his father, who bought it in 1927 and had it made up to fit himself perfectly. It was an heirloom then and is now, next to mine in my rack. I'd have bit**ed Dad out too, had I known what he was up to.

flight954

I've been pulled over by law enforcement 2 times w/ my CHL and my CCW. Either time was I questioned or asked for my CHL or if I had my CCW. I've always wondered why the officers never asked, because surely they see all my info. when they enter my DL in their computer.:confused: Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Glenn E. Meyer

Here's my take. I understand the legal and rights issues. However, I view the officer as an armed person of unknown volativity. I don't know what call he or she came from before or what's going on in their lives. I don't know if they are a good person.

People have been shot by accident and misinterpretation. I prefer not to be one of those. Thus, I will inform the officer and follow directions. If he or she gives me a hard time - I will complain LATER.

A story - my wife and I were driving in the neighborhood. We go past the school and guess what - we pick up a patrol car that follows us a significant way through some turns. No lights, etc. But clearly following us. I tell her - the law is on our tail. They go away after a bit.

Later, that night - we see on the noise - that the law was looking for a child molester driving a green car and who had a mustache - EEK! We had a green car and I have a beard.

If perchance, the officer had stopped up - in TX, we have to tell about the gun with your CHL. But even if I didn't have to - if they are looking for such - I don't want the gun to be a surprise find. Esp. - if they thought I was a BG.

armsmaster270

Keeping in mind if the officer see's an indication of it you stand a good chance of being taken out of your car at gunpoint and proned on the road for officer safety until things are sorted out compared to "Ok sir I request you keep your hands away from it and show me your CCL

Avenger

Ohio requires you to inform "when contacted by an officer", they even have a nice little suggested phrasing. I've only been pulled over once since I started CCing, and his first words were, "Good afternoon, I see you are a CHL holder. Are you carrying today?" It comes up on their system if you are the registered owner of the car when they run the plate. He ended up giving me a warning, and as much as stated that having a CHL got me the benefit of the doubt.

Mr. James

Keeping in mind if the officer see's an indication of it you stand a good chance of being taken out of your car at gunpoint and proned on the road for officer safety until things are sorted out compared to "Ok sir I request you keep your hands away from it and show me your CCL

Highly, nay, extremely doubtful, unless you throw in a half dozen or so additional indicia that you're a bad guy. I have never been asked about my carry status, ordered out of my car, or "proned on the road" while carrying, despite the officer knowing I'm a permit holder before he speaks to me. It just doesn't happen unless you're acting like a horse's aft end.

inSight-NEO

In a word...yes. I would have absolutely no problem with informing any LEO about my carry weapon during a traffic stop. In fact, Im inclined to believe they would tend be more aggressive if they "found" (and/or were surprised) by such a weapon vs. having been told about it in the first place.

divemedic

I have been involved in four traffic stops when carrying. The one time that I informed, the officer became very paranoid and hostile. Now, I don't say anything that I am not required to.

divemedic

But if I stopped a vehicle and saw a weapon and didn't know the person had a permit he would be looking at my barrel. That's called Officer Survival.

For a lawful activity? In my state, it is legal to have a gun in your vehicle. As far as I am concerned, if that is the real attitude of the cops, then they really DO think they are at war with the American people.

If you feel the need to draw a weapon on a person for a perfectly lawful behavior (possession of a weapon in a totally nonthreatening manner) because you are afraid for your life, perhaps you need to find a new line of work.

Conn. Trooper

Thats the issue right there, divemedic, how do I know you are carrying in a lawful manner? How can I know, not think-know, you are not out to harm me? Or that your gun is lawfully owned and carried? If I was a mind reader I would have your ATM PIN number already:D, and wouldn't need to work.

Not that I draw down on people that I see with a gun, I don't, but if I know ahead of time you are carrying and have a pistol permit, I proceed with the stop/encounter in a certain way. Not telling the officer is a good recipe for having an issue. I have never taken a gun away from someone of a stop, I check that their permit is still valid and send them on their way. If I come across you doing something you shouldn't be doing, then maybe the encounter will go less smooth.

armsmaster270

In CA where I work it's illegal without a permit. exception hunting and there is no hunting in Sacramento City. Also if you have had a weapon pulled on you on a traffic stop you might think different, I have.

CRS 18-12-204
3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun
That is the Crux how do I know you can lawfully posess a handgun. Are you a Felon, Does your wife have a restraining order for abuse. Now your open to investigation as well as checking the serial # and a whole bunch of other crap that I am duty bound to do. If you have a permit its OK have a nice day. Sorry here in CA we have a lot of gun crimes and we are a bit proactive looking for illegal weapons.

Last edited:

shortwave

I`ve been pulled over a few times. If LEO pulls me over, license,ins. card and ccp will be in hand before officer gets to my car. My hands will either be on steering wheel or outside of window in plain view of officer. I`ll inform officer if I`m carrying. I don`t know cop and he doesn`t know me. Bottom line is I don`t want to be an accident from some newbie LEO whether I`m legally right or not.I`ve never been mis-treated for ccw'ing. Put yourselves in LEO`s position. Easy for us to say "if LEO gets PO`ed when on a stop and gets surprised about driver having a gun within reach, LEO should find another job":rolleyes:. Think we should ask ourselves if criminals when stopped just try to act like normal citizens or is the LEO automatically supposed to know if we`re a criminal or honest citizen. I know alot of LEO`s and all are pro CC and like to be informed at onset of stop if any weapons are in the car. Also, I`ve never been pulled over for no reason( I screwed up) but have gotten out of a few tickets by just respecting and understanding the position of an LEO. They`re just doing their job, don`t know us from Adam and want to go home to their families.

Conn. Trooper

Otaku, read what I wrote, I don't know that someone is legal when I walk up to the car. You don't know a lot of things when you stop a car and approach. You may know you are legal, but I don't. Thats the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.