Inexpensive and Reliable 9mm or .40 S&W Hammer-Fired Semi-Auto?

ScotchMan

Don't forget you can buy online if your local shops don't have a good selection. You just need an FFL locally. It's possible the store(s) you've been shopping at will do an FFL transfer for you. It's all incredibly simple and convenient, you order online, pay online, give them the address of your FFL, and they ship it. When it comes in, you go through the paperwork with the FFL same as if you'd bought the gun from them. Then you're done.

I have used grabagun.com and budsgunshop.com Both have prices within a few dollars of each other and shipping is very little or free. I tend to prefer grabagun.com. A new FNX-9 on grabagun is $547, that would probably be my first choice. Slightly over your budget, but better enough to more than justify it in my opinion. Second choice would be a PX4 Storm or Sig SP2022.

AraneaeFatalis

I'll call the local shops tomorrow or Monday and see who allows the use of their FFL for shipping and how much.

A question about the 5906. I've seen a few variations. One with a more square trigger guard that I've heard were the earliest ones. I've seen two different versions with the rounded trigger guard: One that has the rear sights a bit farther up and protected by metal on both sides this gun also had a stainless steel looking hammer and one that had just plain black rear sights and a black hammer.. What are the differences? Both would be fine for me, but was one better than the other and easier to find replacement sights for?

Jay24bal

Sig p250

I will throw another vote in for the Sig p250. It is my EDC and I love it. Has about 2000 rounds through it now and I have never experienced a single problem with it.

orionengnr

I don't believe you stated an opinion on TDA pistols, but if that is an option, I have owned two or three S&W 469s. Light alloy frame, 13+1, very compact, good shooter, and affordable. No longer made, although they make the stainless Chief's Special (CS9) which is similar).

I don't own one currently, but may have to rectify that some day soon.

willmc33

AraneaeFatalis the difference is the stainless hammers are ALL stainless guns, the black hammers and triggers (to the best of my knowledge) were aluminum and pactic on some later models. The model I have is the rounded trigger guard, full stainless steel, and adjustable sights. I can reccomend that model and it was produced in 1990. Its hard for me to say enough about how good these guns are. I have over 10,000 rounds through mine and it has been as reliable as any mechanical device can be. If it were me I would go with the earlier models with the adjustable sights over the later fixed site models. You seriously cannot go wrong.

Hiddenpiece

+1 for the ruger p95.
like others have said, it may be a little big for cc.
but if you like a gun well enough you'll find a way to carry it.

thedudeabides

LEO hand in p229's usually cost 500-600 and come with a full warranty. They nearly always are 40s.

And you can convert it to 357 SIG if you want.

They are metal guns, built like bricks, accurate, and honestly far superior to the new corporate plastic Sigs.

AraneaeFatalis

@willmc33 Are the adjustable ones the ones with the big fins around the sights? Are the ones with short regular black sights not adjustable?

I guess I'll have to keep on the lookout for a stainless trigger and hammer, as I want the full stainless gun, not the alloy.

carguychris

S&W 3rd-gen sights and stuff...

Here's the skinny on the S&W 3rd-gen sights and other features.

The factory adjustable sights are the ones with "fins", more commonly referred to as "wings". These are screw-adjustable for windage AND elevation and use the same style of internal blade as a S&W revolver, albeit with a pair of dots to match the front sight dot, rather than a revolver-style white outline. These sights were optional on ALL years of 3rd-gen, although AFAIK they were never available on some of the compacts or any of the "Value Series".

Just so there's no confusion, the smaller vertical-blade adjustable sight that only adjusted for windage was NOT used on the 3rd-gen pistols, only on the earlier generations; it was dropped because it was broadly disliked both for its fragility and its tendency to snag on clothing.

1988 through early 1990 fixed-sight 3rd-gens used a vertical blade rear sight. Later ones used much sleeker slanted Novaks, which are better in just about every way- they're less snaggy, they give you more sight radius, they have more aftermarket replacement options, AND they look cooler. :cool:

The three styles of 3rd-gen rear sight do NOT interchange because the dovetail sizes are different! The entire slide can be swapped over, but this is sorta like the tail wagging the dog. :rolleyes:

The rounded trigger guards were introduced on the full-size pistols ca. 1992-1993, depending on the model. Round trigger guard pistols will fit in square trigger guard holsters, but generally not the reverse.

AFAIK the silver color triggers, hammers, slide stop/takedown pins, and decocker/safety levers were flash chromed forgings, not SS. The later black parts are MIM, NOT plastic. Although I'm aware that many gun enthusiasts reflexively dislike MIM, the later 3rd-gen MIM parts have a fairly good reputation because they generally yielded a better out-of-the-box DA trigger pull than the earlier chromed parts.

Other than the grips, AFAIK the only plastic parts used on any of the 3rd-gen pistols were the sights and guide rods on the "Value Series" M457, 90x series, 91x series, and 41x series. These can be replaced with standard metal parts. AFAIK the plastic sights use the same dovetail as the later, more desirable Novaks. :)

WVsig

Best value at this price point today is the SP2022 IMHO. It can be had NIB in 9mm or 40 S&W for under $400 OTD.

sp2022.gif

WVsig

If you are looking for S&W gen 3 I would suggest looking for a 3913 or 3914 Lady Smith... super carry gun. Slim lightweight and dead-nuts reliable.

3914-ls5.gif

3914-ls3.gif

3914-LS.gif

johnbt

"You may be able to swing a FNX -40 or FNX-9"

Not too many months ago a co-worker bought a NIB FNP-9 for $399 at the gun show. I thought my FNP-45 USG was fairly priced at $630 a couple of years ago.

John

AraneaeFatalis

@carguychris So I should go for the later models with Novak sights? From what I gather, those will have the MIM Trigger and hammer and the rear sight is longer looking, correct? Are all parts besides the sights interchangeable on all year models? I've pretty much made up my mind on a 5906. Thanks for all the replies!

carguychris

So I should go for the later models with Novak sights?
The earlier blade-style sights aren't terrible, it's just that the Novaks are better, particularly if you decide to swap them out for aftermarket sights later.

FWIW the adjustable rear sight is great at the range, but its prodigious size can be an impediment to comfortable and discreet CCW, and some shooters find it ugly. :rolleyes:
From what I gather, those will have the MIM Trigger and hammer and the rear sight is longer looking, correct?
The Novak sights were introduced several years earlier than the MIM parts, so you should find many guns with Novaks but without MIM. Yes, the Novak rear sight is longer looking; the Model 3914 in wvsig's post has a Novak.
Are all parts besides the sights interchangeable on all year models?
AFAIK most of them interchange, yes, although some of the internal trigger mechanism parts may require some hand fitment.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, aside from the sights, the other difference you need to pay attention to is the trigger guard. In my experience, it's slightly easier to find holsters for the rounded trigger guard pistols, particularly if you try to use the inexpensive generic nylon holsters available at big-box sporting goods stores and gun shows.
I've pretty much made up my mind on a 5906.
Sounds that way- good luck! :)

BTW don't count out the alloy-frame M5903/5904; their lighter weight makes them a little easier to carry.

AraneaeFatalis

Thanks for the info! I think I found the original fixed sights (looks like the rear sights on a standard 1911 i guess). Gonna stick with a full stainless (5906 non alloy) with Novak sights. I like the look of the square trigger guard, and i'd honestly probably only use a cheap holster or get a custom leather one (farther down the line), but I'm gonna try not to let that sway my purchase from a rounded trigger guard.

Looks like all I need to do now is sell my revolver and start the search for my 5906, can't wait!

I've been looking for a site that may sell lots of aftermarket for the 5906 with no real luck. I've found grips and whatnot, but I'm guessing there wasn't a lot of modification going with these despite them being popular?

carguychris

I've been looking for a site that may sell lots of aftermarket for the 5906 with no real luck. I've found grips and whatnot, but I'm guessing there wasn't a lot of modification going with these despite them being popular?
The full-size S&W 3rd-gen 9mm pistols were more popular with LE agencies than with private individuals. Consequently, the lion's share of the accessories and holsters on the market are geared towards duty use, and in recent years, most LE agencies have frowned on internal mods such as trigger work.

Aftermarket support for civilian CCW use is better for the single-stack pistols, particularly the compacts such as the vaunted M3913.

BTW the selection of aftermarket grips for the 3rd-gens is limited because the grip unit is complex in shape, it's attached with a pin rather than screws, and it retains the mainspring; the latter factor makes proper grip attachment imperative for proper function of the pistol, which scares away many custom grip makers. IOW a 3rd-gen grip is a lot more complicated than the pair of flat wood panels found on most other pistols!

If you find the factory grip too slippery- a common view amongst many 3rd-gen shooters- an easy solution is a Hogue "Handall" grip sleeve or an improvised sleeve made from a section of bicycle inner tube.

Open_CCW

I beat RC20?

No but seriously, the SP2022 fits the bill here nicely. Probably would be my #1 choice. A used FNH FNP is also a very good choice. I like the newer FNXs but I am not sure if you can get one new for that. Definitely seen used FNPs in the $400s.

Used doesn't necessarily mean bad by the way. I've owned over two dozen handguns. I've had far more issues with the new ones, than the used ones.
Yep, some of us have to work for a living! (not to mention keeping up with the house in a challenging climate).

Hard to beat the SP2022, you get an $800-900 quality gun at sub $500 with night sights.

Give up the night sights and it drops to $400 with some shopping.

You also get a rail if you want to add a laser at some point.

+1 for the sp2022. I picked one up with night sights in 9mm. Super accurate and feels great in the hand. Only downsides, 1 mag and VERY FEW holster options made for it. Furhter complicated by there being two versions of it, pre and post picatinny rail.

chaim

Sounds like you have pretty much made up your mind, but here is my $0.02 in case you haven't decided for sure.

I am also in the market right now for a .40 or 9mm in the $500 range (+/- a little) that is sized right for both CCW and the range and I am looking at:
  • The CZ P07. I have a CZ 75B with well over 10K rounds (I stopped counting years ago). I could count the hiccups on one hand.
  • Going over the budget for a CZ P01 or PCR
  • Going over budget, just a little, and getting the 33oz full sized CZ 75B (or another 75B in my case) or the decocker only 75BD
  • Getting a used SIG P229 or P228. I had a .40S&W 229 and it was one of the best guns I've had.
  • At the top of the budget, I really like the S&W M&P (yes, it is striker fired)
  • SIG 250 Compact
  • SIG 2022
  • Taurus PT809 or 809 Compact. I have had good luck with Taurus, and this is hammer fired.
  • Taurus 24/7 (striker fired)
  • Ruger P95. I've had mixed results with Ruger, but they are generally quite reliable, and the P95 is quite inexpensive.
  • Ruger SRc or SR series (striker fired)
  • Beretta PX4 Compact. Good gun (by reputation) and some nice prices these days.

A used 3rd Gen S&W would also be a terrific option: great guns, and they are pretty reasonably priced. For CCW duties, the aluminum models (usually ending in a xxx3) are probably best. I’d be looking at the 6903 and 3913 primarily, followed by the “value series” 908, 910 or 457. I do like .40S&W quite a bit, but I don’t really like the S&W .40s of that generation- they just seem too big for the capacity they offer.

ShootingNut

The PX4 Storm compact 9mm is a great buy,
new for a net of 359 after the current Beretta promotion
going with a 50 dollar rebate. Hard to beat IMHO.
SN

willmc33

just FYI I was on buds gun shop looking a minute ago and they have trade in Beretta PX4 Storm .40's with 2 mags and night sights for $299.99 and free shipping.